BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Considering Autocross

02-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
saifansari
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Considering Autocross

I'm considering getting into Autocross, as it seems safer than proper track days and possibly a better learning experience.

I'm perfectly happy with the power and handling of my stock M2, but the only thing I'm worried about is my brakes. At 13,000 miles they've definitely lost some of their bite and I know autocrossing them would wear them further very quickly.

I'm a total novice when it comes to working on cars, but is it worth buying dedicated pads for autocross and learning how to swap them in and out?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
JTPitsch
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I just took my M2 to my first autocross event. It was my first time and my car was 100% stock. I did great and really didn't have any brake fade. Honestly I'd just get some OEM replacement pads if you feel yours are getting worn out but for your first event you'll be fine. Just go out and have fun then see what you need after.
Appreciate 1
CrashFL137.50
      02-20-2018, 11:27 PM   #3
CLH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT

If you’re wearing your brakes out autocrossing, you’re doing it wrong

Seriously though, get some fresh pads put in and rock on. Brake pads are among the last things to muck with for AX. Go with OEM or something with a touch more cold bite and you’ll be set. You don’t need race-level pads...in fact they’ll be worse since you’ll never get them to proper temp.

Enjoy!
Pic18303.50
      02-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
m2_wolf
Rep
Drives: M2

agreed

autox is generally NOT hard on brakes...at least not hard like track day hard. It's usually just short bursts on them at most. I'd worry about your tires more than the brakes!
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2_wolf View Post
agreed

autox is generally NOT hard on brakes...at least not hard like track day hard. It's usually just short bursts on them at most. I'd worry about your tires more than the brakes!
+1

I Began autocrossing in 1994. I've been an Autocross chair for a BMW CCA chapter for over a decade.

Bone stock is just fine. What tire you run makes far more of a difference than brake pad. Upgraded track pads aren't really a help for Autocross because of their higher preferred temperature range. But don't worry about buying pads or tires until you've learned what you are doing on course.

If you don't have a helmet , you will want to see if the group you are going to run with has loaner helmets. That should be your first Autocross expense.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Autox is a great way to start, but you will probably outgrow or "hit a wall" with it fairly quickly. (pun intended)

There's just not enough time/events/variety/speed to really maximize your driving skills.

Couple of suggestions...

1. Don't worry about brakes or any mods to the car (other than maybe tires)
2. Always run with traction control fully off. The best part of autox is learning car control, rarely will you have enough speed to do anything worse than spinning out and hitting a few cones.
3. Get as many rides with instructors/other drivers as you can.
4. Always walk the course (if allowed) before the event starts (helping lay cones is a good way to sneak this in)

Minuses for Autox
1. Course is short <1 Mile typically
2. Course usually doesn't vary much
3. Speed is limited
3. It's a long day for only 10-15 minutes driving
4. less value for money vs track
5. can be very hard on tires

Plusses/comments for track
1. More complete driving experience
2. Pick a good outfit (Speed Ventures are very good), there are some very sketchy outfits around. A good safe environment is crucial.
3. Chance to really push the car at its limits
4. Much more techniques to learn on track. Autox is usually shortest path is fastest time, not so at track.
5. Upgraded Brakes/Tires will make a huge difference
6. You get typically 2Hrs driving on a track day, sometimes more.
7. Tracks are usually further away, be prepared for more cost. Hotels/Gas/Food etc
8. At autox you are typically focusing/preparing for fastest lap on last session. At track your fast lap is typically early in second session of the day. The rest of the time you can spend working on technique.
9. Most track-day providers provide instructors at reasonable cost. Well worth the money (if you go with a good provider)

Hope this helps.
      02-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

The M2 is totally fine for autocross stock so no need to do anything special. My only frustration with autocross is the amount of time you have to devote for the short period of time you get behind the wheel. The two events I have participated in took up about 13 hours of my time combined including check in, meetings, working my shifts etc and I spent about 10-20 minutes or so of actual driving. I totally get how people can get into it, it is fun but plan on devoting a pretty good chunk of time. In each case I could have ditched after my runs and skipped my work shifts like many do but that isn't me. Give it a shot, its not hard on the car and is a very safe way to test your limits, just don't get too fixated on others times because you will likely be pretty slow your first time out.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #8
BurpZilla
Avid Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White M2 6spd

You should try tracking once before you cross it off. I ride with chinmotorsports. 400 dollars a track day for 2 and a half hours on the track. You always have a pro instructor with you. Can't pass on the turns. It's seriously epic! All I did was pagids and stainless steel brake lines. Next mod is ohlins.
Alpine White BMW M2 6spd; 2015 Arctic White Yukon XL Denali
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
saifansari
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Thanks for all the stellar advice guys. I forgot to mention that I actually did try one of the SCCA's track nights a while ago. It was great but I was a little concerned about safety as far as possibly damaging my car in a place where insurance won't cover repairs, so that's why I'm considering autocross instead.

I'll check out an autocross event and see if it's for me. Thanks again for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #10
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
saifansari I completely agree with M3 Adjuster , you don't need anything but a Helmet to have fun at Autocross. I haven't been doing it as long as he has, but the M2 is my second autocross car. One thing that helped me to get into the sport is partake in a training course by the local autox clubs, it was pretty cheap and compared to the usual 8-10 runs you get during an actual event, you get a ton of seat time.

If you do a couple runs with the Michelins and you enjoy it, I would consider upgrading tires. If you have the room to get a dedicated autox set I would buy some Bridgestone RE-71Rs.

But for the first season you can run your stock tires without much worry of increased wear and tear.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2018, 05:46 AM   #11
USANigel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Long Beach Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
2008 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saifansari View Post
Thanks for all the stellar advice guys. I forgot to mention that I actually did try one of the SCCA's track nights a while ago. It was great but I was a little concerned about safety as far as possibly damaging my car in a place where insurance won't cover repairs, so that's why I'm considering autocross instead.

I'll check out an autocross event and see if it's for me. Thanks again for the advice!
Those Track Night events are scary ... nothing at all like a track weekend with a good club like BMWCCA.

Autocross is generally safer and MUCH less expensive.
Appreciate 0