BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > New vs Used 2018 M2?

01-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

New vs Used 2018 M2?

As I've mentioned before, I have a 2018 M2 on order, supposed to start being built towards the end of Feb.

I now came across a used 2018 M2...

My order has:

Mineral Grey Metallic
Double Clutch Transmission
Sunroof
black grills
Black Side Grilles
LED Door Projector
... a few other things...

The used 2018 comes with
All of the above except illuminated door sills and moonroof
M Performance Exhaust
Carbon Fiber Exhaust Tips ($1,500???)...

The used car would cost about $900 more, but seems to have about $$4,500 in extras!

I guess I'd lose the four year service... anything else I'd miss by getting an M2 with 660 miles on it?

The seller apparently works for a BMW dealership, and got a great price on the car. He's leasing it, but I would pay off the lease ($57,xxx) and he wants buyer to reimburse him his downpayment, $5,500.... total $62,500.

Any thoughts?

I'd obviously get the used one much quicker, but I'm honestly not in that much of a rush. But...If I can buy the car, and have a few thousand equity already built into it, I'd go for the used car.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

I saw that car on Swapalease.com. Thought it really odd that he wants out after only 1 month. Did he say why?
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

I wouldn't buy a used car more expensive than the new, even with all the MPerformance bits... Too many unknowns and price doesn't help IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelJW View Post
As I've mentioned before, I have a 2018 M2 on order, supposed to start being built towards the end of Feb.

I now came across a used 2018 M2...

My order has:

Mineral Grey Metallic
Double Clutch Transmission
Sunroof
black grills
Black Side Grilles
LED Door Projector
... a few other things...

The used 2018 comes with
All of the above except illuminated door sills and moonroof
M Performance Exhaust
Carbon Fiber Exhaust Tips ($1,500???)...

The used car would cost about $900 more, but seems to have about $$4,500 in extras!

I guess I'd lose the four year service... anything else I'd miss by getting an M2 with 660 miles on it?

The seller apparently works for a BMW dealership, and got a great price on the car. He's leasing it, but I would pay off the lease ($57,xxx) and he wants buyer to reimburse him his downpayment, $5,500.... total $62,500.

Any thoughts?

I'd obviously get the used one much quicker, but I'm honestly not in that much of a rush. But...If I can buy the car, and have a few thousand equity already built into it, I'd go for the used car.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input!
Virtually all of those extras added to the car will get you next to nothing when you resell or trade in the car, so I wouldn't be calculating my "few thousand dollars of equity already built in" if I were you. If you really want that stuff, and you plan to keep the car a long time, then it is no big deal, but we are talking fluff here.
      01-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
I saw that car on Swapalease.com. Thought it really odd that he wants out after only 1 month. Did he say why?
Haven't spoken to him yet, but I did look him up, and he's a BMW employee/saleman? at a new BMW dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaalrasha View Post
I wouldn't buy a used car more expensive than the new, even with all the MPerformance bits... Too many unknowns and price doesn't help IMHO.
He's adding a $3k M Performance Exhaust, $1,500 carbon fiber exhaust tips
and losing the moonroof, for an extra $900... but I hear what you're saying, you don't get extras back in the resale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Virtually all of those extras added to the car will get you next to nothing when you resell or trade in the car, so I wouldn't be calculating my "few thousand dollars of equity already built in" if I were you. If you really want that stuff, and you plan to keep the car a long time, then it is no big deal, but we are talking fluff here.
The car only has 600 miles on it, but I'd guess that when the time comes to sell it, having to say it's a 2 owner car, rather then a one owner car would probably bring the value down. I'd also lose the included service, for whatever that's worth.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Haven't spoken to him yet, but I did look him up, and he's a BMW employee/saleman? at a new BMW dealership.

He's adding a $3k M Performance Exhaust, $1,500 carbon fiber exhaust tips
and losing the moonroof, for an extra $900... but I hear what you're saying, you don't get extras back in the resale.

The car only has 600 miles on it, but I'd guess that when the time comes to sell it, having to say it's a 2 owner car, rather then a one owner car would probably bring the value down. I'd also lose the included service, for whatever that's worth.

I wouldn't do it unless you personally know this person so you are pretty sure they are not selling you a car with problems or one they ran hard while cold. You're not saving money or barely saving money and losing the moonroof which seems like you want. You can always ADD the MPE and tips but you can't add a moonroof later, but of course it will cost you. I guess if you only plan to keep it a short time yourself maybe you don't care much if they beat on the car carelessly or not because by the time there are real problems you will have sold it?

I think you should get the car as you want, with the moonroof and you will be single owner knowing the history of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
crqflier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '95 M3 (gone)

unlike the other guy where it made sense to get the used, this seems like a no brainier get the new.
      01-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crqflier View Post
unlike the other guy where it made sense to get the used, this seems like a no brainier get the new.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #9
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

So let's stop and remind everyone
NEVER PUT MONEY DOWN ON A LEASE!

Cause this guy is in deep chit - unless he can find someone to give him his down payment money. Of course, my crystal ball tells me he wanted his payment at a certain point and had some cash saved. Ugh, why people, why?

Now...
If he works for a BMW dealer, he can have the transaction route through that dealer - and then your THREE years of service (not four) would be protected and IF you are going to drive the car, that THREE years of service is worth some cash.

There -those are my two cents. Me? I'm picky about how I break my car in (not getting into that here) and if I'm taking on a 600 mile car, then there has to be some savings (significant savings if I'm losing my maintenance for the next three years) to make it worth my while.

Good luck
Appreciate 3
bobert858.50
HODLM363.50
      01-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #10
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

If you're in no rush I would lean towards new.

Make him a lowball offer that makes it worth your while. If he takes it great. If not keep your order.

My 17 used is coming w MPE. However in the 2nd hand market its only worth about $1500. Plus the costs to remove. Now, I get to enjoy it in the meantime but its not really a $4k benefit unless you were planning to burn the money anyways.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #11
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I suspect a better deal can be worked out with this guy, if you really want the performance options then it might be worth trying to work out a better deal but as a general rule of thumb the value of the car does not change based on aftermarket mods regardless of how much the owner paid for them. Probably best to just go the new route.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #12
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I suspect a better deal can be worked out with this guy, if you really want the performance options then it might be worth trying to work out a better deal but as a general rule of thumb the value of the car does not change based on aftermarket mods regardless of how much the owner paid for them. Probably best to just go the new route.
You're probably right.

Just to update this thread...

I've now spoken to this owner. He isn't flexible on the price... it's $800/month, 35 months remaining, or someone can buy out the lease and reimburse him his deposit.

As others have suggested, I'm going to wait for my order. I think, while options don't typically retain their value, if I end up getting an M2 with a sunroof, first, I and even more so my wife will enjoy having a moonroof on the car, and 2nd, being they didn't offer a moonroof in '16 and '17 M2's, it'll make my M2 somewhat more rare. I would imagine not too many M2's will be around with the moonroof.

It's also a lot easier to add MPE and carbon fiber bits then to add a moonroof.

And, while I'd love to have the performance exhaust, I wouln't spend $3k for it! I think I'll enjoy the moonroof, for a grand, more then I would the performance exhaust!

Oh well.. now... where was I?

Oh yea.... 3 months.... 15 days.... 6 hours.......
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1193.00
      01-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #13
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

I think you're making the right move. If the seller is being inflexible, tell him to pound sand. He's in no position to be inflexible. If he made the mistake of putting a large sum down on a lease, and then is compounding his situation by trying to get out of a 36 month contract after only 1 month, he has to bite the bullet - not you.

And you're in LA so I totally get the moonroof desire. They don't seem to be highly popular here on the forums (added weight at the highest point on the car) but I'm with you...we live in areas with great year-round weather, and I've got my moonroof open almost every time I'm in the car. I'd miss it, you will too. Get the car you really want.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #14
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
You're probably right.

Just to update this thread...

I've now spoken to this owner. He isn't flexible on the price... it's $800/month, 35 months remaining, or someone can buy out the lease and reimburse him his deposit.

As others have suggested, I'm going to wait for my order. I think, while options don't typically retain their value, if I end up getting an M2 with a sunroof, first, I and even more so my wife will enjoy having a moonroof on the car, and 2nd, being they didn't offer a moonroof in '16 and '17 M2's, it'll make my M2 somewhat more rare. I would imagine not too many M2's will be around with the moonroof.

It's also a lot easier to add MPE and carbon fiber bits then to add a moonroof.

And, while I'd love to have the performance exhaust, I wouln't spend $3k for it! I think I'll enjoy the moonroof, for a grand, more then I would the performance exhaust!

Oh well.. now... where was I?

Oh yea.... 3 months.... 15 days.... 6 hours.......
I think you made the right decision. You can also go for an aftermarket exhaust. The MPE is nice and looks cool, but there are just as nice or better aftermarket exhaust for sale IMO. I had the MPE on my M235i and it was nice, but I then added a Dinan exhaust, and it sounded better. The Dinan exhaust on the M2 is also cheaper than the MPE, although it is just a axleback.

If I decide get a exhaust for my upcoming M2, it will be the Dinan with the resonator delete. I agree on the moonroof. You don't want to add it later, it's better getting it from the factory. I'm really glad that BMW of North America finally added it as an option.
Appreciate 0