BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Dents in steering wheel

10-27-2023, 12:44 PM   #1
balint
Registered
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87

Dents in steering wheel

Hello guys!

I’ve just bought my first ever BMW, and I got an extra OEM leather steering wheel. It has three ~1cm dents in it, I guess the previous owner stored something on it. I’ve seen some videos using heatguns to remove dents from leather seats but I’m not sure if it would damage the wheel leather. Any ideas are appreciated, I’d love to fix it thanks!

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 04:49 AM   #2
M2CompKenny
Rep
Drives: M2C LBB

It might be possible to remove or at least improve the indentations using steam. Use a damp cloth on top of the leather and use a steam iron with caution. Don't let the damp cloth dry out and build up the heat in stages. It's better to take your time and do this gradually rather than attempt a one-and-done fix. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
balint1.50
      10-28-2023, 02:33 PM   #3
balint
Registered
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Kenny View Post
It might be possible to remove or at least improve the indentations using steam. Use a damp cloth on top of the leather and use a steam iron with caution. Don't let the damp cloth dry out and build up the heat in stages. It's better to take your time and do this gradually rather than attempt a one-and-done fix. Good luck!
Thank you very much, I’ll give this a try tomorrow, I’m hopeful it works! have a nice day!
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2023, 07:18 PM   #4
c0riolis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT

+1 on the steam, if you have a steam cleaner wrap the head with a microfiber and massage the leather with intermittent bursts of steam.

Once you are done massage the leather with conditioner. I will not be 100% but it will definitely be a lot better.
Appreciate 1
balint1.50