02-23-2024, 09:29 PM   #1
Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
DIY Short Shifter Install overview

Hello everyone, I installed my RTD shifter today, I thought I share my DIY experience as I couldn't find much specific to F87 M2s. This would apply to CAE, Turner, rebuild kits, etc. As long as you have to remove the whole shifter for whatever reason, this post would be useful.

I am happy to report, it is not very hard. I can confirm 100% you do not need to drop the exhaust or drive shaft or transmission brace to remove/install all components of the shifter (contrary to what ISTA says). If you DIY'd the diverter valve, you can definitely do this. If diverter job is 10/10 difficulty, I'd rate this at around 6 or 7.

For all of the specific details, refer to these 2 videos they are absolutely fantastic. I can confirm although these cars are not F87 M2s, there isn't any huge differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFeTLj0YX3c
(FYI the only difference is after the trim piece removal where the scrolly wheel thing is, there are 2 extra torx screws to remove if you have an LCI model, they are very obvious not hidden at all)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRcJKCbDUbM&t=181s

Outside of the 2 videos, other tips I have are the following:
1. To remove the gearshift carriage (the big aluminum piece), you do have to wiggle it a bit and mess with it to sneak it past the drive shaft. You can sneak it out of the opening on the driver side of the drive shaft. The exhaust do not need to be dropped, but you do need to remove the 2 torx on the exhaust hanger attached to the transmission brace. With the 2 torx removed, the exhaust will hang a bit lower giving you enough space to remove the carriage.
2. I had a really tough time removing the rubber shifter boot, I ended up forcing it out from underneath the car and pushed it into the cabin. Most video show removal from above but I just couldn't do it LOL.
3. To release the clip of the final connection between the Gear shifter arm/linkage and the transmission, I found it a lot easier to pop it off from the top inside the cabin. You can see it and reach under. It was more awkward trying to get at it from underneath the car.
4. If you are going with RTD, to install the pin on the new DSSR to the transmission, I found it easier to install the pin from underneath the car.

As for the RTD shifter. There has been reviews on the forum. I would agree with previous reviews, the shifter is solid I have 0 complaints. There are no modifications required or weird stuff, it fits and it works. 1 thing worth mentioning, my shifter took 7 weeks from ordering to arriving at my house, just be patient. RTD probably will respond initially if you inquire but you may not get another response which may seem sketchy, but they are fine to buy from be patient you won't be disappointed with their product, it is really fantastic.
Appreciate 4
F87source7251.50
donkey464.00
samsamdar584.50
///MPhatic13862.50
      02-24-2024, 12:57 AM   #2
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Thanks dude - this'll be super helpful for when I do the AutoSolutions
      02-24-2024, 09:38 AM   #3
Tes
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
Thanks dude - this'll be super helpful for when I do the AutoSolutions
No problem glad to help. 1 thing to note though to final connection to the transmission there is a pivot socket piece. RTD DSSR uses the OEM one which only required the removal of the linkage (it was a linkage replacement), but I think other kits may come with their own, Fritz's video he did remove it (so I'm sure it is possible) and I think CAE also replaces that piece, I'm not too sure about autosolution. But given the amount of room you have, I'm pretty sure it is possible. The area is not the most spacious but it is not bad. It is not too awkard might just have to swap from above or below the car to see what works Good luck!!
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21819.00
      03-08-2024, 07:52 AM   #4
LouiseMacklin
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2

Thanks for sharing it with us.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 02:04 AM   #5
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

Tes

Just installed my rtd v4, which/where did you source the new boot? not really wanting to cut up my old one…but can’t find a base ring
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 10:40 AM   #6
Tes
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGSON View Post
Tes

Just installed my rtd v4, which/where did you source the new boot? not really wanting to cut up my old one…but can’t find a base ring
Yea I had that issue as well, I don't think there is any place selling just the boot. I actually had a spare one I think off of a F22 that didn't fit my F87 (long story I bought a M Perf shifter that had the wrong boot, so I swapped the boot with my OEM shifter, now I sold the M perf shifter with my OEM boot so I cut that F22 boot up and modified it to fit.)

I'm not going to keep this set up though. I think I'm going to make a custom flat cover out of either carbon fiber or plexi glass similar to what blackflagusa makes (I don't think they make it for our cars yet). It should be easy enough I'll report back on how mine turns out.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 09:09 PM   #7
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tes View Post
Yea I had that issue as well, I don't think there is any place selling just the boot. I actually had a spare one I think off of a F22 that didn't fit my F87 (long story I bought a M Perf shifter that had the wrong boot, so I swapped the boot with my OEM shifter, now I sold the M perf shifter with my OEM boot so I cut that F22 boot up and modified it to fit.)

I'm not going to keep this set up though. I think I'm going to make a custom flat cover out of either carbon fiber or plexi glass similar to what blackflagusa makes (I don't think they make it for our cars yet). It should be easy enough I'll report back on how mine turns out.
Cobywheel sells just a boot for really cheap, i just need the base ring that snaps into the console to keep from tearing up mine
Appreciate 1
Tes109.00