BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Ultimate Care/Ultimate Protection

07-19-2021, 06:09 PM   #1
silversnake
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2Comp

Wink Ultimate Care/Ultimate Protection

Hi

First post, and sorry if I just didn't do a good enough job searching the forums, but bought my first BMW, got a 2021 M2Comp Manual with performance delivery picking up in Early August. It's finally reached America, and I'm damn excited, except now the finance guys from BMW are calling asking about all of the Care/Protection/Extended warranties, etc for the car, and I'm wondering if you all have any opinions on the plans. The extended warranties can always be purchased later, but the care/protection ones have a limited lifespan before they can get outrageous.

In my opinion the protection one is heavily dependent on what you plan to do with the thing - windshields are covered by insurance, I usually get warranties from my local discount tire chain on all tires I buy, but the paintless dent repair can be a lifesaver, especially with everyone in lots being careless about your car...I have a tough time believing that rims are going to be damaged unless you really mess up the vehicle, but again, something I don't know.

I have no idea whether to get the ultimate care. They said they will cover full brake service whenever....which to me sounds really good but I have no idea how much this might occur if I casually track the car. More importantly, I have a hard time believing they will do oil services/plugs/etc more frequently if the car is driven hard....

Any opinions would be well appreciated!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 07:22 PM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Ultimate Care +1 can be a good buy at $2099 list - a better buy if you can talk the price down - if you drive hard enough to kill the original brakes before the 4/48 term is up. A brake job probably runs what, $2k? Boom, you've paid for the entire plan, plus you get all consumables included and an extra year. Criminal F&I dude at my dealership marked it up way over list, to $2677, while claiming that was a discounted price. I bit but canceled and got my money back.

IF you don't drive hard enough to require brake replacement by then - probably not a good buy. Also not transferable to a subsequent owner if you sell, which is a big deal (or can be). Transferable only on 2022+ models per BMWUSA website.

As for other 3rd party warranties - I'd avoid them all. ONLY possible exception would be tire & wheel coverage IF it's at a reasonable price and IF the roads are horrendous where you'll be driving. Then again - our 788's are forged so they should not be easy to bend/damage. Any other 3rd party coverage - VIN tracing, glass, anything - avoid it all like the plague.
      07-19-2021, 08:01 PM   #3
silversnake
Rep

Kevin, thank you for the detailed reply! I really appreciate it.

Honestly I have no idea how hard I’m going to have to drive the thing to require a brake/clutch job, but it seems like something that will carry me into the 4/50 range may make sense if I plan to keep it that long…especially if the price is right.
Appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 08:09 PM   #4
Lokguru
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M50i, M2C MT | '18 M3

Garage List
My suggestion.. pls stay away. Get the best APR rate, sign the papers and walk out…
My finance guy was trying to make feel that I don't care for the car… LoL. I told him I will buy all that you have for $1k if you can give me, if not save me and you some time.. let's sign as am ready to enjoy my ride. This was when I got my X5… am sure they will pull the same guilt talk when I sign my M2C.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
Puppetz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnake View Post
Hi

First post, and sorry if I just didn't do a good enough job searching the forums, but bought my first BMW, got a 2021 M2Comp Manual with performance delivery picking up in Early August. It's finally reached America, and I'm damn excited, except now the finance guys from BMW are calling asking about all of the Care/Protection/Extended warranties, etc for the car, and I'm wondering if you all have any opinions on the plans. The extended warranties can always be purchased later, but the care/protection ones have a limited lifespan before they can get outrageous.

In my opinion the protection one is heavily dependent on what you plan to do with the thing - windshields are covered by insurance, I usually get warranties from my local discount tire chain on all tires I buy, but the paintless dent repair can be a lifesaver, especially with everyone in lots being careless about your car...I have a tough time believing that rims are going to be damaged unless you really mess up the vehicle, but again, something I don't know.

I have no idea whether to get the ultimate care. They said they will cover full brake service whenever....which to me sounds really good but I have no idea how much this might occur if I casually track the car. More importantly, I have a hard time believing they will do oil services/plugs/etc more frequently if the car is driven hard....

Thanks
Congrats on the car. I did PCD in MAY and faced the same questions as you, as it was my first BMW and M car to match. I decided to bank on the idea that I was buying a good car with a good reputation, so I passed on the extended warranty. I did however quote various maintenance package rates, and was considering the Ultimate Care +4, but they wanted $6100 - and was told that was cost! Some good advice I got when I reached out to others was that the plans are not as valuable as they used to be. BMW has dialed back the frequency of maintenance; partially because engineering and quality has continued to improve, but also because of how it is included during the first few years of ownership. It becomes a very expensive proposition for them to switch after the initial warranty, and begin inviting cars back to the service department every few months. Oil changes are still going to be recommended around the 10K mile mark. I heard that some buyers negotiated some pretty low rates for their Care plans, which would make purchasing it enticing, but if you are like me and couldn't get them to budge, it didn't make economical sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 09:11 PM   #6
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
You are going to get a lot of opinions on this, so do your research...

So, here's mine: I have a hard "no" policy on all dealer add-ons, protection packages, etc. These are sold only because they turn a profit. I'd rather put money aside and pay for things as I need them done (by businesses that I choose).

Congratulations on the car and thanks for helping to save the manuals!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
chris7197339.50
      07-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #7
SilverScotty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Ultimate Care +1 can be a good buy at $2099 list - a better buy if you can talk the price down - if you drive hard enough to kill the original brakes before the 4/48 term is up. A brake job probably runs what, $2k? Boom, you've paid for the entire plan, plus you get all consumables included and an extra year. Criminal F&I dude at my dealership marked it up way over list, to $2677, while claiming that was a discounted price. I bit but canceled and got my money back.

IF you don't drive hard enough to require brake replacement by then - probably not a good buy.
Like KevinC says here, if you can get a decent price on it and replace the pads once it is a decent purchase. However, the M2C comes with massive brakes that I think were pulled from the previous models ceramic calipers and had to make up the difference with quite thick pads. So, you have to do a lot of braking to wear them down.

I did purchase this plan and don't remember what I paid but my plan is to track the car a few times a year in an attempt to justify the purchase since my mileage is not all that high since I have two other cars. Probably pay more in track fees to make this happen, but at least it will be fun.

If you aren't going to track or if this is going to be a weekend car, you can probably skip since your mileage won't justify the cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #8
phriz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

I purchased it at $2099. I also have zero mechanical skills, and get everything done at the dealership. I plan to auto cross it a few times a year, and I live in the mountains where spirited driving can be a little harder on the breaks. Regardless, I'll make sure I wear those pads and rotors down and get my money's worth.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 12:32 PM   #9
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnake View Post
Hi

Thanks
See my posts and links here

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=Ultimate+Care

Use the links in my post to see the costs. The costs are the cost, you might negotiate them down but doubt it. Though they certainly should not be higher than MSRP.

as KevinC mentioned if this is not a daily and you don't consume the brakes before the term then it may not be worth the cost. Remember this is NOT a warranty instead you are prepaying the service cost in today's dollars.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 07:16 AM   #10
silversnake
Rep

You all are awesome. Thank you for the information. If I can get a deal on it I will pursue. Otherwise I will avoid it and just resign myself to the fact that this is a weekend joy. Appreciate the feedback!
Appreciate 0