BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Winter Tires or Park up for 5 months??

01-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #23
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Drive it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 07:00 AM   #24
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
Rep
Drives: 2017 Dinan M2, 2023 X3MC

Garage List
I drive mine during Winter but if there's recent salt on the road then I will drive something else.
      01-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #25
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
....and move to Monaco

Cheers
Robin
You did the opposite though? Lillehammer? Do you drive your M2 there?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #26
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvndvs View Post
If I drove the M2 I would have to listen to the underside getting sandblasted, it would be dirty all the time and would be coated in road salt and would just piss me off. In my view I want to enjoy every mile, not be limited in playing with short burst of power and feeling the car in the corners. I don't want to worry about black ice, hard snow banks, paint chips or corroded aluminum parts underneath.
^^^ This all day,every day.

Why potentially trash something that you've waited along time to acquire.
Wrap it in cotton wool for the Winter and drive the hell out of it when the days are longer
Appreciate 1
pup73516.50
      01-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #27
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
^^^ This all day,every day.

Why potentially trash something that you've waited along time to acquire.
Wrap it in cotton wool for the Winter and drive the hell out of it when the days are longer
agreed!
Appreciate 1
pup73516.50
      01-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #28
Elwood74
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
Own it. Drive it.

This winter I have the 135is as my beater. So I drive it anytime it isn't wet or wet and salty out. This week has been both, and the pain of not driving it is killing me!
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #29
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
I would park it. It's hard to get your money's worth during the winter as the M2 will be crippled by the winter tires and the poor traction. By avoiding the cost of winter setup and the extra wear and tear you will save a lot of money as well.
I may be in the minority here, because alot of people on the forums do drive their M2's all year round. Most will say it is more than serviceable. But...just because it CAN, doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD...

I opted to get a winter beater. A comfortable, safe, AWD small SUV. I love driving my M2. I actually look forward to my daily commutes because of the M. But, in the snow, how much fun can it be? And on top of that, people here generally have no clue how to drive in inclement weather, so I have to worry about everyone else on the road.

Just my thoughts..

-c
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 1
Joaozao188.50
      01-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #30
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

i think people have to take into account that you are not alone on the road and how would you feel if some idiot lost control because lets face it 80% of people can't drive in snow, crashed into you and then thats your M gone and your stuck with your beater until your new one arrives at this rate 6 months later
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #31
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

I live in Winnipeg Canada and this morning was -42 Celsius with the windchill. Hilariously by monday and for the rest of the week its supposed to be around -5 to +2. Needless to say with those kind of temp swings we have a lot of ice and snow so I can speak pretty well to the dilemma. I wouldn't buy an M2 and not drive it for 5 months so it was an easy decision for me. I put the XI3's on it in 245/40/18 on the Apex Ec-7 wheels. In the dry its awesome and braking on anything even ice is fantastic. Everything else like accelerating in any fashion and making turns with traction control on suck because it's rwd and traction control is very intrusive so it's really annoying to drive this thing on icy roads but it's a small price to pay for a fantastic car otherwise in all respects. unfortunately BMW is stubborn and won't offer M drive on M cars other than the new M5 which is too bad as from what I hear it still lets you run it as full rwd and kicks in as awd when you need it. again no big deal as the weight and balance of rwd is amazing in the summer and well worth the weight and slight inconvenience of the M2 in winter.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #32
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM2-85 View Post
I went with the Michelin Pilot Sporst AS3+ tires. While I wont be driving through crazy snow, the other day in the sno it was fine. Fine on downhills on hard pack, and I stopped it on an incline and got it to go again. Thats fine for me, and then when its the nice days or just cold, the tires have a small difference in feel to the OEM tires in the corners. For me, that was the best idea instead of a dedicated setup that really compromises the driving everywhere.
I put 19" Michelin Alpin S3+ on my X1 last month. They are in almost the same size as the 1M/M2. I agree with you, they are an excellent option for light snow and moderate ice.Obviously there are better options for heavy snow and ice or areas with hilly/steep terrain. . I drove mine from Texas and spent time in Indiana and the hills of Missouri in temps down to 2 degrees and 3-5 inches of snow and had grip everywhere including stopping and starting on an incline and even reversing up a slight hill as well. They are excellent in freezing rain also.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #33
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
I would park it. It's hard to get your money's worth during the winter as the M2 will be crippled by the winter tires and the poor traction. By avoiding the cost of winter setup and the extra wear and tear you will save a lot of money as well.
I may be in the minority here, because alot of people on the forums do drive their M2's all year round. Most will say it is more than serviceable. But...just because it CAN, doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD...

I opted to get a winter beater. A comfortable, safe, AWD small SUV. I love driving my M2. I actually look forward to my daily commutes because of the M. But, in the snow, how much fun can it be? And on top of that, people here generally have no clue how to drive in inclement weather, so I have to worry about everyone else on the road.

Just my thoughts..

-c
It's A LOT OF FUN to drive a BMW M car in the snow, believe me.
Appreciate 0