BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Winter Tires or Park up for 5 months??

01-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Winter Tires or Park up for 5 months??

Hi guys, wanted to get your opinion on something,

i have on order an M2 finished in BSM which will also receive full PPF protection from the elements stone chips ect ect ect,

i am due to take delivery in the first week of April 2017 which where i have recently moved to ( the Czech republic ) is the start of the summer season for tires ( SUPER HAPPY ) this goes up until the 1st of November 2017 after that it is compulsory to have winter tires fitted to the vehicle as just last week we had -18 snow and ice on the roads and it is genuinely unbearable and unimaginable to drive a car with rear wheel drive in this kind of weather.

so i have 2 options, i either bite the bullet and purchase some winter tires ( some advice would be appreciated as to which tires to go for ) the ones i was looking at were the Michelin PILOT ALPIN PA4 245/40 R18 97, however being 18's i would need to buy a set of rims to go with that as the standard rims on the M2 are 19's so this is the expensive option and also a risky one with the weather being so aggressive here.

option 2 is to park it up for the 5 months for a total sum of 180 euros in full heated parking garage fitted with security and CCTV and simply place a car cover over it thus keeping the mileage Low and okay occasionally if the weather would be good no ice nice and sunny i would take it out for the day and hope i don't get stopped by the Czech Rozzers.

while i like both ideas i prefer the park it up for winter option, but also the thought of driving my company car which btw is fantastic ( VW golf MK7 1.6tdi blue motion 105 BHP ) is making me miserable going from 376bhp ( fitting the full Akrapovic exhaust ).

so i would like your view guys, what would you do?

help a brother out !
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Driving a 105 HP diesel car for 5 months out of the year sounds intolerable, at least when compared to an M2.

Go for the snow tires and wheels. The Alpin's are good for your lighter snow events. Where I live, we get occasional heavy snow storms so I opted for the Xice 3 tires. This is my first RWD car ever so i wanted to be safe and capable as possible in winter driving.

I couldn't imagine driving a beater for months on end while my kick ass car was just sitting there basically out of service.
Appreciate 2
SGL122.00
      01-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Well, reading your worries about winterdriving in Czech Rep.and the costs of the wintertyre/wheel setup I'd recommend the Golf 105BHP Blaster!
If I were you: Wintersetup.

Welcome and Happy Easter!(a bit late sorry)

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

I would park it. It's hard to get your money's worth during the winter as the M2 will be crippled by the winter tires and the poor traction. By avoiding the cost of winter setup and the extra wear and tear you will save a lot of money as well.
Appreciate 1
pup73516.50
      01-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
IS+1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (AW 6MT)

Get decent winter tires and drive it year round.
Storing an M2 for 5 months is an unnecessary exercise of self-deprivation. Our winters are just as bad as yours and I've driven RWD through the last 13 winters. The M2 will do just fine.

Last edited by IS+1; 01-12-2017 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Drive it!

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1342778
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 17 488GTB, 16 Cayman S

I would drive the M2 during winter; however, I would skip the Michelin PA4s and get the X-Ice 3 for better traction. I have a set of them in 245/40R18 on my car and it performs well in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseyu View Post
I would drive the M2 during winter; however, I would skip the Michelin PA4s and get the X-Ice 3 for better traction. I have a set of them in 245/40R18 on my car and it performs well in the snow.
I disagree. My wife's car has the X-Ice 3's and my M2 has the PA4's - the XI3's are inferior in every aspect except for deep snow driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #9
RPM2-85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 AW

I went with the Michelin Pilot Sporst AS3+ tires. While I wont be driving through crazy snow, the other day in the sno it was fine. Fine on downhills on hard pack, and I stopped it on an incline and got it to go again. Thats fine for me, and then when its the nice days or just cold, the tires have a small difference in feel to the OEM tires in the corners. For me, that was the best idea instead of a dedicated setup that really compromises the driving everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #10
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Get winter tires and then park it in the garage for 5 months. jk

I've driven my many BMW's over the past 15+ yrs through every winter, you'll be surprised how compliant the car is. The key is having a good set of winter tires. I personally don't like storing my car, feels weird enough when I come back from a long work trip and get behind the wheel. Can't begin to imagine the feeling of not driving it for 5 months and the agony that goes along with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM2-85 View Post
I went with the Michelin Pilot Sporst AS3+ tires. While I wont be driving through crazy snow, the other day in the sno it was fine. Fine on downhills on hard pack, and I stopped it on an incline and got it to go again. Thats fine for me, and then when its the nice days or just cold, the tires have a small difference in feel to the OEM tires in the corners. For me, that was the best idea instead of a dedicated setup that really compromises the driving everywhere.
I think the NJ winter might just be a bit more mild than Prague

So do you run the MPSS in summer and AS3's in winter? If yes, why not get the PA4's? Pretty much similar price but WAY superior winter performance.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #12
kvndvs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS 6sp

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2019 BMW x3M40  [0.00]
I feel your pain, I have chosen to not drive mine in the winter, at least this year. I currently have 300 miles on the car and walk by it every day in my garage on the way to my cold truck. If I drove the M2 I would have to listen to the underside getting sandblasted, it would be dirty all the time and would be coated in road salt and would just piss me off. In my view I want to enjoy every mile, not be limited in playing with short burst of power and feeling the car in the corners. I don't want to worry about black ice, hard snow banks, paint chips or corroded aluminum parts underneath. Maybe someday the M2 will be my winter beater, but not this year.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #13
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Get the winters and drive the M. When its really bad out drive the company car. Im not getting winters but this year has been mild in NY, and I take it out when its nice out.
      01-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #14
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Sounds like you should wait for the RS3!!! I'm in NY and not excited about the weather either, but it is closer to only 3 months.
I also have a Golf R, which is a rocking rig all year round and pretty cheap.
Really depends how your conditions are in Prague. In NY we have some snow, but mostly cold, dry days. In these conditions, the Michelins and Pirellis make great choices.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #15
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Get the winters and drive the M. When its really bad out drive the company car. Im not getting winters but this year has been mild in NY, and I take it out when its nice out.
I actually need winters for my Golf R, but I'm passing on them too. We've only got 6 more weeks...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #16
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

I went to pick up my M2 straight from the dealer (still on summer tyres) in this weather and had zero issues... I'm now waiting for Michelin Alpin wintertyres and will drive my M2 in any weather unless it is a snow storm/blizzard... It's a modern BMW M that is designed for daily driving and not a classic Ferrari F40. If I would live in an area with 6 months snow...then indeed I would get something with an RS badge

01-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #17
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

You forgot option 3 in OP, move somewhere else where it never snows and you wouldn't have this dilemma

I say put them winter shoes on and drive it!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 04:52 AM   #18
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
I would park it. It's hard to get your money's worth during the winter as the M2 will be crippled by the winter tires and the poor traction. By avoiding the cost of winter setup and the extra wear and tear you will save a lot of money as well.

see i manage to agree with this more then driving it, its absolutely treacherous here, the roads are rammed, crashes every day the motorways covered in salt you wash your windscreen every single 5 minutes then you get this horrible dry salt which by the time you finish your 15 minute journey you have used 3 litres of anti freeze and the worst thing is, czech republic has loads of natural woodlands which hide some of the best roads i have ever driven on and these during winter just don't get cleared because they naturally expect you to go to your barn get into your toyota hylux and drive as normal
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 04:56 AM   #19
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

All your points are greatly appreciated and there are good arguments for both sides, do they do the Michelin PILOT ALPIN PA4 245/40 R18 in 19inch form? so then no need to purchase additional rims?

i understand the agony of not driving it i really do, but the issue is there is nowhere to enjoy it in these conditions, although i want to take the classic huge Christmas tree ontop of a small coupe picture for the gram .
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 05:02 AM   #20
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Sounds like you should wait for the RS3!!! I'm in NY and not excited about the weather either, but it is closer to only 3 months.
I also have a Golf R, which is a rocking rig all year round and pretty cheap.
Really depends how your conditions are in Prague. In NY we have some snow, but mostly cold, dry days. In these conditions, the Michelins and Pirellis make great choices.
while i hate to admit that you're probably right, i'm not a fan of how audi release a new model every 30 minutes, it doesn't really do it for me, love the car the though its an absolute beast! but id say for 7 months here the weather is great and summer so hot like 30+ degrees Celsius. its not prague thats the problem i live in the east 2 hours away and we have black ice salt everywhere when it really snows your basically drifting to work and with a golf front wheel drive with the stupid automatic handbreak its impossible to have an ounce of fun, everyone drives 30kmh, then it turns into slush then that freezes the bottom of your car gets a body kit's worth of snow and ice its unbearable. i'll see when the time comes but appreciate the advice, naturally if by winter i win the lottery i will be purchasing a 4 wheel drive huracan
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      01-13-2017, 05:17 AM   #21
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
while i hate to admit that you're probably right, i'm not a fan of how audi release a new model every 30 minutes, it doesn't really do it for me, love the car the though its an absolute beast! but id say for 7 months here the weather is great and summer so hot like 30+ degrees Celsius. its not prague thats the problem i live in the east 2 hours away and we have black ice salt everywhere when it really snows your basically drifting to work and with a golf front wheel drive with the stupid automatic handbreak its impossible to have an ounce of fun, everyone drives 30kmh, then it turns into slush then that freezes the bottom of your car gets a body kit's worth of snow and ice its unbearable. i'll see when the time comes but appreciate the advice, naturally if by winter i win the lottery i will be purchasing a 4 wheel drive huracan

....and move to Monaco

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #22
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
....and move to Monaco

Cheers
Robin
Not the biggest fan of that place, i'd probably choose ibiza, got some great roads if you remember test drive unlimited 2!
Appreciate 0