BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Why'd you do it?

01-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #45
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 823BMW View Post
I have been a devoted manual transmission driver from the beginning and I am certainly not ready to give it up. I'm currently driving a manual F10 535i and recently parted with a manual E89 Z4 with the N54. The M2 has the rare combo of fun, style, and soul -- all while being practical and a good value. Two other factors are the 2 series has great crash test results with the IIHS and does not bump insurance rates like some other performance vehicles. I look forward to taking delivery of mine!
The safety/insurance thing was a nice surprise to me. I called my insurance company to ask how much my insurance would go up going from a 335is to the M2. To my surprise my insurance will go down by $700 a year. He said it was due to the safety upgrades of the M2.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #46
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

By chance. Sold my F31 wagon in April 2016 and went to the dealer to test drive a 330e because it would be very cheap to lease on my company due to tax reductions.

Anwyay, I noticed that they had a LBB M2 in the show room and I just got this feeling that I wanted one of those. I knew it was impossible to get one but wrote about my feeling at a Swedish BMW forum.

After a few hours I got a private message from a well connected guy asking me if I really wanted one. If I did he could set me up but if I was just goofing around he wouldn't give me his contact's name. I answered yes. This was on a Friday I think. On the following Monday I picked the car up. So literally 3 days of waiting for delivery.

Had to pay full MSRP which is not common here. Usually you get 8-12% discount. So I overpaid but I got the car.

Because I paid so much and because I wanted a 6MT (this was a DCT) I sold it in September. Ordered my own configuration back in June and that car is coming now in February. With a healthy discount this time around.
Appreciate 4
SoCalRob281.00
Destroya371.00
DCM278.00
      01-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #47
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Great question! I had my Nissan 370Z for 7 years before moving over to the M2. Of course the decision to move to the M was made well over a year ago, given the wait lists and what not. For me it was an easy decision to go with the M2 but a hard decision to move away from the Z as I very much still loved that car. The chief complaint with the Z was the lack of a back seat. My wife drives a Nissan Leaf and we have 2 small dogs that we like to travel with. Between the Leaf and the Z we were forced to be very cramped and uncomfortable on long trips in the Z, or, rent/borrow a car for road trips. When I first bought the Z we had just one dog and my wife had a Honda Fit, so the lack of a back seat in the Z was a non-issue.

My criteria to replace the Z was:

- No downgrade in performance, horsepower, handling, etc.
- Must have a back seat
- Manual trans a must
- No downgrade in interior quality
- No downgrade in onboard tech (nav, stereo, gadgets)
- No front wheel drive
- Interesting or exciting styling
- Compact 2 door coupe
- Under $60k

There's just about nothing else on the market that fits that bill. I considered a used M4 but couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a used car and even then it would have blown my criteria for budget, compact size, and IMO exciting styling. Thought about a used GTR but again with the $65k to $70k on a used vehicle that's the size of a small yacht and no manual trans. Love Audis but their styling puts me in a coma and the TT just doesn't float my boat.

I jumped on the M2 wait list over a year ago and then spent a year trying to poke holes in the idea and find a better alternative. There's just nothing else out there that slots in where the M2 does.
Appreciate 3
Destroya371.00
SoCalRob281.00
      01-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #48
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

I will also add that I drove a new base 2016 6 speed Cayman lightly optioned demo with 3k miles that, best price, was still $10k more than a brand new M2. It was a fun car, but not enough low end torque, missing key options, not as versatile, and not as good of a value. I agree with Automobile mag that the M2 is the Goldilocks solution:

"Some may deride the M2 simply on the grounds that it isn't as much fun or as "special" as the 1M Coupe that came before it. Whether it is or it isn't is beside the point. The M2 is one of the most enjoyable cars for real-world roads that you can buy today - at any price. The 718 Cayman has too much grip for the street and doesn't make the right noises. The Corvette's limits are too high and it's too large to feel at home on most twisty backroads. The BRZ has excellent dynamics, but it's slow. The M2 is the Goldilocks solution for today's enthusiast. Rory Jurnecka"

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...s-revelations/
Appreciate 3
DCM278.00
SoCalRob281.00
      01-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #49
DelGriffith
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 SO M2C

As the kids get older, and I keep buying THEM cars, I no longer need a back seat. I was drawn to something I could toss around like the E39, which I recently sold. Though not a popular car on this board, it was my favorite car of all time. I was very ready to upgrade to the TURBO and some modern tech. No regrets, so much fun!!

'17 F87 MG M2-Gone
'19 F87 SO M2C
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 10:34 AM   #50
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

The M2 is my fourth BMW and my second BMW M. I always had a weak spot for BMW M-models; except for the latest M3/M4 and the 1M could also no convince me 100% (did not like the styling inside and out and the brakes were not so good). I have a e46 325i wagon/touring (2004) and a lovely modified Z4M (CSL wheels, Bilstein PSS-10 suspension, AP BBK, etc) from 2006.

I really wanted a 981 Boxster Spyder or a 981 Cayman GT4 as my next car. For me that are the two car I would trade in my Z4M. There is a big price difference between my Z4M and the above Porsche models. Maybe one day I will own a more track dedicated car like a GT4 or Exige. Those cars are awesome and in my opinion a step above my 10 year old "modified" Z4M. I still love my Z4M and there is zero rush to replace the car. At the end of the day a GT4 or Spyder is a lot of money for a car that I use occasionally (weekends, free days) and sits in the garage most of the time like my Z4M. When I look at my current situation; I drive my e46 325i 80% of the time (daily car) and my Z4M 20% of the time (sun, fun & track).

Before buying another fun car (for driving on my free days) I decided that I wanted a new daily car to replace my 12 year old e46 325i M-tech estate/wagon. A daily that was fun, a bit more special and still practical for my needs of driving to work, to the store, ski trips, etc. A wagon/estate would be nice...but for me it is not 100% necessary because I don't have kids or a dog...

When making a "want to buy for daily use" list two used cars where taking the lead of my list; 2013 C63 AMG wagon & 2014 Alpina B3 touring Biturbo (no X-drive). Then there was the launch of the M2...every review was positive about the car but I was afraid that the M2 would feel to much as a small M4. In the summer of 2016 I decided to do a test drive (with manual & DCT). I ended up speccing out an M2 and ordering my first new car ever in my life. My new M2 was a little more expensive then a used C63 AMG or Alpina B3. The M2 will be with me in two days and it will be my new daily that replaces my old e46 325i... I'm exited about the idea of having two totally different M-cars in my garage and never expected this to happen. Whatever of the two M-cars I take it will always be a bit special and it's going be awesome

Last edited by Franzino; 01-02-2017 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      01-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #51
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Because hips don't lie.

Coming from a 1M and my wife is from Barranquilla you can say I'm addicted to them

Cheers
Robin
LOL
      01-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #52
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

I never actually considered a BMW prior to my current car. Was coming from Audi and Merc but when it was time to search for a new car, the "other Germans" just didn't have anything that appealed to me at the time. So I dropped by the local BMW dealer...and there it was. Sitting in the showroom... an LSB beauty. To be honest, I didn't even care what model it was...the colour was that nice! Seems ridiculous to me even now that I bought a car based on the exterior colour, but let's be honest...we've all done things on impulse, lol.

So, currently in a 2014 F30 w/M Perf pkg (N55+MPE+MPPK)and lease is up this year, so move to the M2 seems like a natural progression for me...basically lose 2 doors and get a 25hp bump? Depends on what ends up happening with MY18 (mine should be produced in October)...are they changing anything with the engine? Who knows? Maybe more HP?

Haven't driven an M2, but figured all you guys are raving about it...so how can I go wrong, right?

I will miss some of the tech toys I have become accustomed to in the F30 (HUD, Birds eye reverse cameras to name a few) but I expect the M2 will gratify me in other ways

Only 350 more sleeps.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #53
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSecaBlue View Post
Only 350 more sleeps.
Damn, is the waiting list that long outside of Europe?
      01-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #54
MR_M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT, 2022 X7 M50i

Garage List
BMW M2  [0.00]
BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
It's the best 4 seater sports car in the world right now. Period.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #55
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Damn, is the waiting list that long outside of Europe?
Wait time at my dealership is over a year - there were 12 people ahead of me. I could have searched around for an earlier production slot which I'm sure are out there, but I don't really have the time for that and I am trying to build a good relationship with my local dealer. My sales person was very up front with the timing on current allocations and that is why I have already put my deposit down as I don't need a replacement for the F30 until December 2017. I suppose I would be more inclined to shop it around if I needed the car sooner.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 05:04 PM   #56
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
I have owned 5 BMW's including 2 M3. An E30 evolution (should have kept that forever) and an E36. Then switched to a couple of Porsches. But now that I have more specialized race/track cars I needed a general purpose daily driver that my wife could also drive if I pinched the X5 to tow to the track.
So M2 it was. Ordered unseen or driven but early pictures were just coming out. I drove a used 1M and a demo M3. The smaller size vs M3/4 appealed and the early talk about the car being fun and more interactive.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #57
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MG 6MT

Well, never thought I'd be answering my own question within 2 days. I originally started this thread to get insight b/c I was on the fence. Did I really want this car? Why do I need this car? To I start the waiting process like everyone else? I must say it's been great to read everyone's input, and thank you to those that have contributed thus far.

My first car was a e36 325i, black. It was slow but it drove so well. I could appreciate the handling even back then. Went on to an s2000 and Jeep most recently. And obviously have been obsessed with M cars since I can remember. A friend in high school had a 318ti with an M3 engine dropped in. Always that that was so cool; that much power in such a small car.

So...why? Because I found THE ONE. And, in the end, why the eff not?! Back when this whole subthread first started it's been, "If I get one, it will be MG/6MT". A few days ago, I started poking around the interwebs to see what ordering has been like recently. Found a AW/DCT to buy, but couldn't pull the trigger. I was giving into the fact that I'd have to wait and see. Today, I called 40+ dealers to find an allocation, or a short list of 047s. Most of them were the same story..blah blah, 6-8 months, we'll gladly put you in line. But somewhere at about dealership #37, they just happened to have MG/6MT coming into stock. All of the waitlist people turned it down. It's in status 182 and will be on a boat soon! Looking to take delivery end of this month or beginning of Feb. I cannot wait to get back to driving a manual and an M car to boot!
Appreciate 11
luvmybmmr305.00
atxsk8r1568.50
Destroya371.00
SoCalRob281.00
DCM278.00
D CHOI581.00
LBBDrew336.00
      01-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #58
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0ng_way View Post
Well, never thought I'd be answering my own question within 2 days. I originally started this thread to get insight b/c I was on the fence. Did I really want this car? Why do I need this car? To I start the waiting process like everyone else? I must say it's been great to read everyone's input, and thank you to those that have contributed thus far.

My first car was a e36 325i, black. It was slow but it drove so well. I could appreciate the handling even back then. Went on to an s2000 and Jeep most recently. And obviously have been obsessed with M cars since I can remember. A friend in high school had a 318ti with an M3 engine dropped in. Always that that was so cool; that much power in such a small car.

So...why? Because I found THE ONE. And, in the end, why the eff not?! Back when this whole subthread first started it's been, "If I get one, it will be MG/6MT". A few days ago, I started poking around the interwebs to see what ordering has been like recently. Found a AW/DCT to buy, but couldn't pull the trigger. I was giving into the fact that I'd have to wait and see. Today, I called 40+ dealers to find an allocation, or a short list of 047s. Most of them were the same story..blah blah, 6-8 months, we'll gladly put you in line. But somewhere at about dealership #37, they just happened to have MG/6MT coming into stock. All of the waitlist people turned it down. It's in status 182 and will be on a boat soon! Looking to take delivery end of this month or beginning of Feb. I cannot wait to get back to driving a manual and an M car to boot!
Excellent choice!
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2017, 06:19 AM   #59
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0ng_way View Post

If you want one. You can find one. It's just not going to be at the dealer in your neighborhood.

Nice work. !
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #60
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I've been wanting a new car for 3-4 years now as I'm driving an aging 2002 Acura RSX Type-S. The car is now 15 years old, but still drives great and is in reasonably good condition. Some rust on the body, but still drives amazingly good and I'm still impressed at how quick it is at 15 years and 260,000km.

Finally decided to buy a new car for my 40th and was considering a luxury coupe. I was considering:
- Cadillac ATS
- 2018 Audi S5
- BMW 435 / 440
- MB C class

My first choice was the Audi S5, but I found out the 2018 redesign didn't come in manual and I wasn't super thrilled with the exterior changes.

I heard about the M2 and was told it was a year wait. At first I dismissed the car because of the wait time, but decided that this would probably be my only chance at an M car.

The anticipation of taking delivery is killing me though. My delivery date is April/May.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #61
Ghost of Akina
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (LBB 6MT)

I drove the current M3 and did not love it (fast but not fun) then drove the M235i and liked it better but thought it wasn't aggressive enough. The M2 was not yet officially announced but was expected to be in the near future so I put my name and money down. No regrets.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #62
jdarwin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible BSM DCT

I've always wanted an M car ever since I saw an M3 and M5 back in the mid 80's. Finally got my youngest daughter out of law school and the M2 hits all the right buttons for me. Have owned several BMW's in the past - 1989 325, 1976 2002 and just sold my 2012 135i (which I loved). Put down deposit after reading all the glowing reviews. Going DCT on this one, though. Arrives PCD sometime first of April. Excited!
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #63
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Wanted something a bit more "track-ready" than dumping lots of cash into a more docile daily driver. Was considering M3 ZCP (was not impressed with the non-ZCP sound), Cayman or M2, it just so happened that the M2 allocation fell into my lap before the new year, so went for it.

And just for lolz, I also have a bucket list of cylinders x drivetrain configurations and this was one I could check off! Not disappointed at all with my choice so far!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #64
MDeuce
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (MG/6MT/Exec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
I missed the 1M boat (always been bummed about it) and knew once the 235 came out, M2 was eventually going to follow and i wasn't going to miss the boat again
Same.

I was sold on this car in 2011 . I was at the dealer shortly after they announced pricing. He agreed to MSRP and I put myself on the list!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #65
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Bought a 16 STI Limited in late 2015, drove it a few months, hated it and parked it. Sold it and wanted a fun daily driver, already had a M3 so didn't want a M4 and picked the M2. Other car I considered was the Focus RS but couldn't live with the cheap interior.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 01-03-2017 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #66
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

I've always had two cars - one nice sportscar from a Porsche 911 to a Caterham Super 7, to a Lotus Elise etc etc) as well as an ordinary car for everyday use ( Citroen 2CV, Fiat 126, Ford Fiesta, Ford Escort and now a BMW 330d which I bought new 13 years ago and which now has 321,000 kms and still looks almost new).

I now need to get a 3rd car as I want to keep the 330d until it dies but I need a new car. It has to be a 4 seater and, since I'm totally impressed by the quality of the BMW, I decided to stick with a BMW. I started off looking at the 225d convertible (cheap to run, low CO2 tax) but after a 20 minute test drive I ditched it (totally devoid of character, nasty rolling in corners, horrible soft suspension, even if it was pretty quick). I then went upscale and tried the M235i but there was something missing ( too soft, unaggressive looks).

I don't want an Audi as the styling is SO utterly butterly boring and looks are really important to me. I need to be able to admire the lines of the car, get a thrill out of looking at it when it's parked. That basically left the M2 even though it's more than I really intended to pay but since I tend to keep my cars an average of 10 years and I'm 61 now, I reckoned this might well be the last new car I buy before I snuff it so I might as well go overboard.

I love the aggressivity of the thing, the sound it makes, the handling and the power. It could have harder suspension, harder steering, more sporty seats but on the whole I think it's the best thing going. I shall put a muffler bypass and a sports cat on it and have it Expelled all over. So it'll be an M2 as an 8 month of the year DD, a supercharged Elise for summer weekends and a 330d for when it rains or snows or for shopping at the supermarket. Maybe there'll be an Ariel Atom one day if I can afford it before I retire. Call me a car-crazy old bag if you will
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 4
csbear1118.00
SoCalRob281.00
bollinm25.00