BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Bugs/Annoyances in my M2

12-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #1
lpak
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 (MT/AW)

Bugs/Annoyances in my M2

Had the M2 for nearly a month now and can't fault the mechanical aspects...amazing! And really, almost feel guilty driving it as a DD given it's always asking to have some fun...But as a DD, there are some annoyances that perhaps are due to operator error, any suggestions/fixes?
  • I have the Tyre Pressure monitor as a "bookmark" so that the screen jumps to it every time I start the car. However it always opens with the "Perform Reset or Cancel" screen.
  • The "oil temp slider" can't be permanently left on and always has to be selected when starting the car. Hey it's all we got!?
  • If i switch to my iPhone for music, it just starts playing the first track on my iPhone every time, which i now detest. There is no memory for what I was last playing in the car and why does it insist on playing something rather than letting me choose.
  • Navigation is woeful. Roads that are 5 years old here in Melbourne (eg South Road extension) are missing, names are wrong, maps are wrong, and the path it chooses is not to my level of German efficiency. Dealer blames it on the TomTom maps it uses , i'm not sure about that one.
  • Voice recognition is woeful
  • the touch pad letter thing is silly, slow, and probably dangerous if used while driving (imho).

To be fair, no one would expect BMW to excel in the software arena. In fact, I'm not sure why they even try, they can never possibly keep up and that's not what we want them concentrating on anyway. Apple Car play makes total sense and I'm sure an open platform approach across all new vehicles will be adopted soon enough and you'll be able to choose what entertainment system you want and swap and change at will. eg Google maps, voice recognition (etc) is just far superior to anything right now so i'd be watching that space.

At this stage, I think BMW should show leadership and offer Apple Car Play for free. Asking us to pay a reported cost of AUD$500 for software and then use Apple maps! Geez... of course the dealer tells me that's Apple's cost and they just pass it on (dubious).

Ok rant over...how good is it in the mountains! Music...who needs it!

Last edited by lpak; 12-21-2016 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpak View Post
  • the touch pad letter thing is silly, slow, and probably dangerous if used while driving (imho).
I find it the opposite. More useful and safe compared to scrolling through letters and constantly looking down. I can write letters with one hand on the wheel and eyes on the road.
Appreciate 2
hoyasaxa686.50
Dabozo624.50
      12-21-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
Quote:
I find it the opposite. More useful and safe compared to scrolling through letters and constantly looking down. I can write letters with one hand on the wheel and eyes on the road.
+1. I don't think I can ever go back to basically rotary dial an address
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Sorry to hear that BMW hasn't kept up with navigation down under. Here in the USA the navigation is excellent. On the iphone bluetooth every car I have used my iPhone its always gone to the first song, in my case Fast Car by Tracy Chapman, drives me nuts but I think that is an Apple thing more so than BMW. I ended up putting my entire music library into the hard drive which works great and solves this issue.

Today is my 2 month anniversary with the M2, 5,000 miles and loving it. Has its quirks but overall its an excellent car.
Appreciate 3
Ramos856.00
AndrewC198910903.50
ewohar21.50
      12-21-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Lack of sunroof
oh and heads up display
Appreciate 2
qnet676.00
      12-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
MerlinPurple
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB

Quote:
  • The "oil temp slider" can't be permanently left on and always has to be selected when starting the car. Hey it's all we got!?
Eh? Mine does - the oil temp slider is always on upon engine start (remembers last selected page), it's my default gauge.

The only time it disappears is if I'm running low on fuel, then the range page appears.
Appreciate 6
Nicname348.00
AndrewC198910903.50
lpak17.00
Robin_NL8679.50
      12-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #7
laurenxesq
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & P car

Ditto; sunroof, headup display.

Adding: equalizer on the M3/4 HK sound systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Lack of sunroof
oh and heads up display
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
On the iphone bluetooth every car I have used my iPhone its always gone to the first song, in my case Fast Car by Tracy Chapman, drives me nuts...
But do you know a lady in distress somewhere? Maybe your car is trying to tell you something?? :LOL:

....but yeah, my i3 does the same thing!

Last edited by GimmeanM; 12-21-2016 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Sorry to hear that BMW hasn't kept up with navigation down under. Here in the USA the navigation is excellent. On the iphone bluetooth every car I have used my iPhone its always gone to the first song, in my case Fast Car by Tracy Chapman, drives me nuts but I think that is an Apple thing more so than BMW. I ended up putting my entire music library into the hard drive which works great and solves this issue.

Today is my 2 month anniversary with the M2, 5,000 miles and loving it. Has its quirks but overall its an excellent car.
Great song! One of my all-time favorites.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 08:43 PM   #10
Molez93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M, 2001 740i

Quote:
Here in the USA the navigation is excellent.
Is that in reference to MY 2016+ ? I hope so, that would be a welcome change from a few years ago. The POS nav I have lived with in my various '12 X5s over the years (and currently) is BRUTAL. Every time BMW has sent me a service survey and there is that question about improving features or engineering in their vehicle, I have taken the opportunity to vent about them providing negative value with their navigation while having the gaul to price that as a $1700 option when new. /end rant
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #11
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinPurple View Post
Eh? Mine does - the oil temp slider is always on upon engine start (remembers last selected page), it's my default gauge.

The only time it disappears is if I'm running low on fuel, then the range page appears.
Same here. OP has the older iDrive from MY '16, so perhaps the behavior was different for earlier cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #12
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
If i switch to my iPhone for music, it just starts playing the first track on my iPhone every time, which i now detest. There is no memory for what I was last playing in the car and why does it insist on playing something rather than letting me choose.
Ugh, I hear ya! Drives me nuts too. Also, if you are playing music from your i-phone via car play and you hit the "Maps" button on the i-drive it takes you to apple maps which i find to be much worse than the BMW nav. Annoying.
Appreciate 1
lpak17.00
      12-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #13
DelGriffith
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 SO M2C

No mention of the terrible daytime speedo lighting?
Very disappointing, seems like it should be an easy fix...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 07:25 AM   #14
fanshu
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB C43, 2016 BMW M2

Ditto: Speed display is too small, no HU Display
But here we have sunroof, very good

One thing I want to mention is the back sensor, when you finished parking the car, put the gear into "D" drive, it still beep beep beep. Why can't they make it stop when you put to Drive already. I know someone in this forum modified to include a on/off button.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #15
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Will the dealership actually let you upgrade to idrive 5.0? Mines also a '16. I forgot to ask when the car was serviced yesterday.
      12-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #16
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
I have it in my F30...I suppose it's good...if you're right handed! Half the time it doesn't work for me since I am left handed and a 2 year old can probably write better than I can with my right hand. "C"...I wrote a "C"...not an "O"!!

Although now thinking about it...maybe the OP is having the same problem in AUS as the cars would be RHD down there so OP would be using left hand??
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #17
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanshu View Post

One thing I want to mention is the back sensor, when you finished parking the car, put the gear into "D" drive, it still beep beep beep. Why can't they make it stop when you put to Drive already. I know someone in this forum modified to include a on/off button.
So wait...it doesn't have the button next to the shifter to shut it off? the last button on the bottom in pic below...

That is going to annoy the crap out of me...I always reverse into parking spots/garage. Is there another way to turn it off?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #18
DCM2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSecaBlue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanshu View Post

So wait...it doesn't have the button next to the shifter to shut it off? the last button on the bottom in pic below...

That is going to annoy the crap out of me...I always reverse into parking spots/garage. Is there another way to turn it off?
You can decrease the sensitivity of the sensors as well as lower the volume of the beeps. I almost don't notice it anymore.
      12-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #19
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Had the M2 for nearly a month now and can't fault the mechanical aspects...amazing! And really, almost feel guilty driving it as a DD given it's always asking to have some fun...But as a DD, there are some annoyances that perhaps are due to operator error, any suggestions/fixes?
  • I have the Tyre Pressure monitor as a "bookmark" so that the screen jumps to it every time I start the car. However it always opens with the "Perform Reset or Cancel" screen.
  • If i switch to my iPhone for music, it just starts playing the first track on my iPhone every time, which i now detest. There is no memory for what I was last playing in the car and why does it insist on playing something rather than letting me choose.
  • Navigation is woeful. Roads that are 5 years old here in Melbourne (eg South Road extension) are missing, names are wrong, maps are wrong, and the path it chooses is not to my level of German efficiency. Dealer blames it on the TomTom maps it uses , i'm not sure about that one.
  • Voice recognition is woeful

To be fair, no one would expect BMW to excel in the software arena. In fact, I'm not sure why they even try, they can never possibly keep up and that's not what we want them concentrating on anyway. Apple Car play makes total sense and I'm sure an open platform approach across all new vehicles will be adopted soon enough and you'll be able to choose what entertainment system you want and swap and change at will. eg Google maps, voice recognition (etc) is just far superior to anything right now so i'd be watching that space.

At this stage, I think BMW should show leadership and offer Apple Car Play for free. Asking us to pay a reported cost of AUD$500 for software and then use Apple maps! Geez... of course the dealer tells me that's Apple's cost and they just pass it on (dubious).

Ok rant over...how good is it in the mountains! Music...who needs it!
My first song is A.D.H.D. By Kendrick Lamar.

So hearing "un huh, fock thattt" is fine with me before I change it lmao
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #20
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 xDrive

For me the crooked/disaligned drivers seat is annoying as hell.

Also the parking sensor beep that continues after going from R to D is annoying.

Apart from that, nothing too bad. Pretth well designed product.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #21
_bmwdriver_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT

[*] If i switch to my iPhone for music, it just starts playing the first track on my iPhone every time, which i now detest. There is no memory for what I was last playing in the car and why does it insist on playing something rather than letting me choose.

I drive a 4 series now (waiting for my 2017 M2) and this is the workaround that I've found. The next time it does this, change the multimedia section to CD player. If you can get into the habit of changing back to CD before turning off the car, then it should remember that the next time you start the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #22
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSecaBlue View Post

You lucky Canadians with your healthcare, your sunroofs, and now your extra buttons! WTF! We are getting robbed.

No, we dont that have button down here on our cars. I suspect BMW would say the extra button detracts from the high performance driving experience, just like a sunroof does.

It is a minor annoyance not being able to shut that damn thing off. Even with the 6MT. You stop backing up and put it in neutral and the reverse cam and beeper are still going. Annoying.
Appreciate 0