BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > The M2 and the 'soda can crunch noise' issue: compilation of some experiences

01-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #177
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Don't expect the dealer to be able to do anything unless they can recreate the noise while testing.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #178
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
I have an August production M2, delivered in September last year. I've had these noises sporadically since about 500 miles. Today though was a new experience. I was at low speed turning right onto a roundabout, maybe 15 mph. At the same time as the noise was emitted, the rear of the car jolted as if I'd ridden over a kerb. I looked in my rear view mirror to see what I'd driven over and there was nothing there. It has never jolted before. This is getting very disconcerting, and I'm going to contact my dealer tomorrow.

Has this happened to anybody else?
Holy sh*t! Yes! This happened to me a couple days ago, right after I last posted in this thread. Was in the car going down a slight hill, coming off a light. About 15 MPH. Head the crunch noise, but also a screech like the tire locked up momentarily and the rear right of the car lifted up like I had run over something. My wife (who never hears or notices any of these little sounds) was shocked. "What the hell was that?!" she yelled.

I'm all for the rocks in the dust shield theory but there's something else going on here as well. it was like something in the diff (clutch pack maybe?) locked up for a moment. it was really jarring.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #179
silverlude
Private
Rep

Add me to the list. 1400 miles, happened the other day at low speed while initiating a left turn. Subscribed!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 11:56 PM   #180
MechEE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

My car made this noise too almost every drive, so I took the rear wheels off and simply bent the dust shields a little away from the rotors to make more clearance. Haven't had the noise happen again since. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 12:19 AM   #181
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEE View Post
My car made this noise too almost every drive, so I took the rear wheels off and simply bent the dust shields a little away from the rotors to make more clearance. Haven't had the noise happen again since. Problem solved.
I just tried that tonight. Went for about a 4 mile drive on some pretty messy roads with some loose gravel. So far so good. No noise yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:47 AM   #182
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Ok, so i've been following this thread for a while. I recently took delivery of my MY17 early December. Having completed around 3000 miles I had this 'issue' for the first time last night.

The sound I heard was coming from the rear right & sounded exactly like a stone grinding on the brake disc. So I put the car on the ramp and took the rear right wheel off. Interestingly there where no stones between the backing plate and rear of the disc and no signs of scoring on the disc. What I did find was a small peddle sitting on top of the calliper in front of the brake pad rubbing on the thick side of the disc. I used a small set of long nose tweezers to remove it, put the wheel back on and the noise was gone

I'm not saying this is the issue you are all hearing but just what I found.

Also, while looking for the source of the grinding I noticed there is a small gap, about 3-6mm between the top of the rear hub assembly and the top of the brake backing plate that had a bunch of very fine gravel lodged in it. There where signs of crushed gravel...... You'd think that given both these faces move in parallel with the control arms (the gap does not open & close) that it shouldn't be able to crush the stones but perhaps something for others to keep an eye on?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #183
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Holy sh*t! Yes! This happened to me a couple days ago, right after I last posted in this thread. Was in the car going down a slight hill, coming off a light. About 15 MPH. Head the crunch noise, but also a screech like the tire locked up momentarily and the rear right of the car lifted up like I had run over something. My wife (who never hears or notices any of these little sounds) was shocked. "What the hell was that?!" she yelled.

I'm all for the rocks in the dust shield theory but there's something else going on here as well. it was like something in the diff (clutch pack maybe?) locked up for a moment. it was really jarring.
Yep. Same for me. No active recall yet on my 2017. My driveway is steep and it makes some crazy noises and thumping when I drive up.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #184
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS,M4GTS,'21-X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRufo View Post
Yep. Same for me. No active recall yet on my 2017. My driveway is steep and it makes some crazy noises and thumping when I drive up.
It has been quite embarrassing this past week. Our city dumped a large amount of sand and gravel on our streets to alleviate the icy conditions we experienced over the previous 3 weeks.

With the snow and ice now gone, the streets were left with gravel and rain. This has amplified the soda can noise as well as the screeching noise on the car. The screeching got so bad (and embarrassing) I finally took the car into Service. They took both calipers off to clean around them but the problem returned shortly. I was told by the SA that they've ordered an improved dust shield coming from Germany. In the meantime, I just endure and keep my head low. No info on the "improved" dust shield or the part number.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2017, 01:14 AM   #185
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I can reproduce the can crush sound on inclines pretty regularly. MY17 DCT about 700 miles on it. Don't notice the car feeling unsettled when it happens, just the horrible noise. Seems to happen only in Sport + mode I think....

Two video I took tonight of the sound, one going uphill, one going downhill. Sorry for the camera work I was just trying to get the sound. On the downhill looks like I was in 2nd and took my foot off the gas before it happened.

Appreciate 6
Prodigy.697.50
Artemis28916.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      01-24-2017, 02:29 AM   #186
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I can reproduce the can crush sound on inclines pretty regularly. MY17 DCT about 700 miles on it. Don't notice the car feeling unsettled when it happens, just the horrible noise. Seems to happen only in Sport + mode I think....

Two video I took tonight of the sound, one going uphill, one going downhill. Sorry for the camera work I was just trying to get the sound. On the downhill looks like I was in 2nd and took my foot off the gas before it happened.

Wow...being inside a carpark i guess magnifies the sound slightly but damn thats loud and i thought mine was bad.

Mine will rarely do multiple screeches, mostly just once then stop, i don't want to jinx it but mine does seem to be happening a lot less frequently.

Thanks for posting the vids.

Last edited by Prodigy.; 01-24-2017 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 05:03 AM   #187
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
VIDEO 1 [00:25-00:28]
VIDEO 2 [00:12-00:15]
Yup, that is *exactly* the notorious 'soda can crunch noise'.
      01-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #188
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

I feel for people with these issues with brand new cars (700 miles). Is this soda can crunch noise a deal breaker? Would you still buy this car if you knew of this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #189
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MG 6MT

Is it only when you guys let off the gas? Could it be some distorted/effed up exhaust popcorn/burble noise?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #190
Whatup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Just wanted to add to the experiences everyone has been detailing. I had the noise for the first time today going up a small incline going about 25mph. The sound is a pretty unnerving metal on metal scraping sound coming from driver Side rear wheel-ish. MY2017 with about 950 miles
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #191
Arcanum-UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i on Order

This evening I heard the sound just as I was braking to a halt. As I moved away in reverse (to get in to a parking spot) I got the same noise which makes me think even more that this is just stones, not the diff.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #192
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:

I've heard that, too. To me, sounds like what everybody's been saying--pebble lodged in dust shield and scraping the rotor. At least it seems like it's something on the exterior. Doesn't sound muffled by diff fluid or the diff housing one bit. On mine, I can tell which wheel it's in, also... It's not "center-back" where the diff is and it doesn't come in through the cabin too much, leading me to believe it's no biggie.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #193
reddemon
Private
Rep
Drives: m2

I just collected my m2. And 2nd day already have this noise.
Its the same exact noise as the video posted so guys, it Cannot be stone stuck in rotor shield.
Told my dealer who handles all M cars in asia but they have no idea.
This is nit going to stop me from raping the car. Great car. Just the noise is bloody embarassing.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #194
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

28 more pages here
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #195
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Is this soda can crunch noise present at say 40mph? Just wondering what mph it exists on.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #196
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Quote:

Wow...being inside a carpark i guess magnifies the sound slightly but damn thats loud and i thought mine was bad.

Mine will rarely do multiple screeches, mostly just once then stop, i don't want to jinx it but mine does seem to be happening a lot less frequently.

Thanks for posting the vids.
Thanks for posting vids. That doesn't sound like the diff to me at all. Sounds like a small stick or rock stuck in the shield. It sounds exactly like the aluminum part that it is. I've had it happen too.

Sounds downright awful though
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 10:51 AM   #197
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
akkando

This sounds totally like something touching the shield. The shield makes the exact same noise when you touch it with a screw driver.

Try this again and put your GoPro under the car so that we can pinpoint where the noise comes from... Perhaps someone can attached it somewhere to a part of the suspension and then we know it for sure.

I have not had the noise for months now, but my car is hardly driving. If you can reproduce it then try to fix a camera lower underneath the car and film it.

MR
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #198
Hasan007
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB Manual - VA

Same issue at the BMW service center now, said it's a known issue w dust shield not being big enough. Replacing with new ones.
Appreciate 0