09-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #1
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Drive options and modes for manual vs dct

Hey guys,

I'm currently coming from a tuned 08' 997.1 turbo. This was my 2nd manual car ever. A family member was selling the car at a great price and I jumped on it. Before that I had an e92 M2 DCT and a 1997 335i manual where I learned how to drive manual. My other cars before that where also automatic (a4 and Lexus LX)

I've been driving the turbo for almost 2 years now from NJ to NYC daily and have developed a love hate relationship with it. When I hit my shifts, there's no better feeling but I feel as if this car is very unforgiving when you don't hit perfect shifts. Its a pain in the morning with my slow shifts (5:30 driving) but at the same time it forces me to be awake. In the afternoons, its a joy if theres no traffic but this is NYC to NJ and theres always some traffic.

I had my heart set out to get a LBB DCT until this Saturday when I drove a friends 2016 Boxter S in manual... Man what a joy it was to use some a modern 6 spd. It was so smooth and simple that it almost had me sold on buying a new 6 spd. This is the first modern manual I have driven. I'm not sure if I've been so used to driving "older less forgiving manual" but it was so simple to shift in his car. When he drove mine, he had some difficulty hitting great shifts and noted the car is much less forgiving.

As I did my research I see the m2 rev matches when downshifting. I don't have the best amount of training in heel toe so I'm actually very excited by this option but wanted to understand in what modes it works with and when it doesn't. It seems it won't work in sport plus but is that the mode where I would want to drive the car in most? If so, losing the rev match is a bummer for me since I'm not sold on manual just yet.

I plan to keep this car and I know it's a special bmw so my heart is saying get manual but my mind says dct. Can anyone confirm if sport plus allows me to rev match when downshifting and whether or not I'll even be using sport plus a lot?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
Hey guys,

I'm currently coming from a tuned 08' 997.1 turbo. This was my 2nd manual car ever. A family member was selling the car at a great price and I jumped on it. Before that I had an e92 M2 DCT and a 1997 335i manual where I learned how to drive manual. My other cars before that where also automatic (a4 and Lexus LX)

I've been driving the turbo for almost 2 years now from NJ to NYC daily and have developed a love hate relationship with it. When I hit my shifts, there's no better feeling but I feel as if this car is very unforgiving when you don't hit perfect shifts. Its a pain in the morning with my slow shifts (5:30 driving) but at the same time it forces me to be awake. In the afternoons, its a joy if theres no traffic but this is NYC to NJ and theres always some traffic.

I had my heart set out to get a LBB DCT until this Saturday when I drove a friends 2016 Boxter S in manual... Man what a joy it was to use some a modern 6 spd. It was so smooth and simple that it almost had me sold on buying a new 6 spd. This is the first modern manual I have driven. I'm not sure if I've been so used to driving "older less forgiving manual" but it was so simple to shift in his car. When he drove mine, he had some difficulty hitting great shifts and noted the car is much less forgiving.

As I did my research I see the m2 rev matches when downshifting. I don't have the best amount of training in heel toe so I'm actually very excited by this option but wanted to understand in what modes it works with and when it doesn't. It seems it won't work in sport plus but is that the mode where I would want to drive the car in most? If so, losing the rev match is a bummer for me since I'm not sold on manual just yet.

I plan to keep this car and I know it's a special bmw so my heart is saying get manual but my mind says dct. Can anyone confirm if sport plus allows me to rev match when downshifting and whether or not I'll even be using sport plus a lot?
Rev match is only turned off when all the nannies are turned off. This doesn't not include sport + because in sport + mdm mode is still active. I think....
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Artemis posted a comprehensive rundown of the various modes available in the M2:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1206958

See the table on page 2. Note item #4 "engine speed adaption mode".

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU View Post
Artemis posted a comprehensive rundown of the various modes available in the M2:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1206958

See the table on page 2. Note item #4 "engine speed adaption mode".
Thanks for this. So it seems turning off DSC turns off the rev matching but if i turn on Sport +, this activates MDM. By activating MDM, is DSC considered "off" and rev matching is gone??
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Rev match is only turned off when all the nannies are turned off. This doesn't not include sport + because in sport + mdm mode is still active. I think....
Thanks! It seems I just need to find out if activtating MDM essential turns DSC "off" or if its considered still on and rev matching continues to occur
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

M2 rev-matching in "COMFORT", "SPORT" and "SPORT+".

No M2 rev-matching in "DSC OFF" (all nannies switched off).

From the M2 press release (Oct 14, 2015):
Manual gearbox with automatic rev-matching.
The all-new BMW M2 comes as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, which stands out with its compact design and low weight. The use of a new type of carbon-fiber friction lining enhances shift precision. Dry-sump lubrication prevents any sloshing of the transmission oil and ensures all components benefit from an efficient supply of lubricant. An engagement speed control function, which blips the throttle on downshifts and lowers the engine’s revs on upshifts, makes gear changes even smoother and lends the car additional stability during hard driving on the track. Experienced drivers can still take pride in performing the task of perfectly orchestrated down-shifts on their own by deactivating the system in DSC OFF mode.
Further, pages 62-63 of the M2 Technical Training:

09-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #7
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
M2 rev-matching in "COMFORT", "SPORT" and "SPORT+".

No M2 rev-matching in "DSC OFF" (all nannies switched off).

From the M2 press release (Oct 14, 2015):
Manual gearbox with automatic rev-matching.
The all-new BMW M2 comes as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, which stands out with its compact design and low weight. The use of a new type of carbon-fiber friction lining enhances shift precision. Dry-sump lubrication prevents any sloshing of the transmission oil and ensures all components benefit from an efficient supply of lubricant. An engagement speed control function, which blips the throttle on downshifts and lowers the engine’s revs on upshifts, makes gear changes even smoother and lends the car additional stability during hard driving on the track. Experienced drivers can still take pride in performing the task of perfectly orchestrated down-shifts on their own by deactivating the system in DSC OFF mode.
Further, pages 62-63 of the M2 Technical Training:

Thank you for clarifying this up. I guess manual is the way to go if since its basically doing most of the work for me anyways.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
JLS_397K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' BMW M5+16'M4 GTS - M2 SOLD

Okay,

Why is it that we are stuck with the middle range of modes when we want the car for ourselves.It looks like those with DCT can only get Sport throttle and 2 Shift control with DSC off. I get DCTs are quick, but i want mode 3 and Sport + sometimes. I understand Sport throttle provides a smoother input but WTH BMW...

In the the E60 M5, you got a 6th shift mode in the SMG with all traction controls off. DSC Off. and Damn is that 6th mode a beast. It was an easter egg almost.

You could all 5 shift modes in D or S modes...
But then a 6th Shift mode would pop up with DSC off in S(Manual Mode), that was neat.

Here is a link as to what I am talking about:
https://youtu.be/yRVKRpBx9B4
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #9
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I don't think there are many manual M2 owners who regret their choice. However, quite a few of us wish this "feature" could be turned off.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I don't think there are many manual M2 owners who regret their choice. However, quite a few of us wish this "feature" could be turned off.
Meh. It can stay on and you can still rev match yourself. I've been doing this and so far only twice have I done it better than the machine.

If your rev match is crappier than theirs, you going through the motions will make no difference to the car, other than the satisfaction of heel and toeing.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #11
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Meh. It can stay on and you can still rev match yourself. I've been doing this and so far only twice have I done it better than the machine.

If your rev match is crappier than theirs, you going through the motions will make no difference to the car, other than the satisfaction of heel and toeing.
That's the point, I don't want to rev match

Case in point, 35mph street coming up to where I make a slow right hand towards my office building. Clutch in, select 2nd in preparation for turn - but won't be releasing the clutch until I'm close to 10mph. Car doesn't know this so the RPM kicks up to 4,500. Really annoying. The workaround is to not select any gear for 3-4 seconds and then the car forgets about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #12
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

08 is still a modern manual. I don't think there's been that much technological innovation in the manual transmission in the last 10-15 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #13
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post

That's the point, I don't want to rev match

Case in point, 35mph street coming up to where I make a slow right hand towards my office building. Clutch in, select 2nd in preparation for turn - but won't be releasing the clutch until I'm close to 10mph. Car doesn't know this so the RPM kicks up to 4,500. Really annoying. The workaround is to not select any gear for 3-4 seconds and then the car forgets about it.
If you don't gate 2nd and keep it near neutral it won't rev match until last moment.

But ya, I see what you mean. I guess it just doesn't bother me too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #14
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

doesnt bother me at all once I got used to it. Now instead of holding the neutral just brake smoother and shift quick closer to when you normally would and get back on the gas. its fun - more track esque as opposed to dragging the clutch, letting gears wind down during city driving. the smoothness of a perfect rev match every time is something to be appreciated during DD
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 04:08 AM   #15
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Just turn the nannies of - problem solved.
The F87 isnt a mustang or a 1M, it wont kill you, because its chassis and drivetrain are amazing beyond adhesion
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 06:24 AM   #16
Bluedoor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

While brand new to my 6MT M2, the rev matching seems as intelligent as the DCT e92 I had. As long as I am actually driving and not playing with it, the car seems to do an excellent job of anticipating my shifts. With my foot entirely off the accelerator, as when slowing for a turn at an intersection, I can shift into 2nd without any blip from the car. I agree that it should be able to be switched off but so far it makes me a better driver
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #17
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
As everyone says, it rev matches in sport+. It really isn't all that bothersome once you are use to it. The first few times I was coasting to a stop at a red light and it revved up while I was casually down shifting it startled me. It also solicited a few stares as the folks around me just thought I was being an ass. It still makes my wife think she's done something wrong as she doesn't understand why it's reving up.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 12:20 AM   #18
J3STER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M2

I always turn DSC off when driving because the rev matching is annoying as hell. I find it odd that in cheaper cars it can be turned off no problem without affecting the driving aids. Yet BMW choose not to.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 06:25 AM   #19
MerlinPurple
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3STER View Post
I always turn DSC off when driving because the rev matching is annoying as hell. I find it odd that in cheaper cars it can be turned off no problem without affecting the driving aids. Yet BMW choose not to.
Just to clarify, you drive with DSC off each and every time you get in the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 07:06 AM   #20
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal View Post
Just turn the nannies of - problem solved.
The F87 isnt a mustang or a 1M, it wont kill you, because its chassis and drivetrain are amazing beyond adhesion
Please don't.

With this weather overhere and rainfall atm I have a tailhappy M2 @ >100kmh in 3rd (DCT), PSS summertyres.

Turn the nannies off at your own risk on trackdays etc. But in normal traffic/real life better think twice.

It's still a rather powerful /torquey rwd car...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 09:22 AM   #21
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

I cannot believe the number of times auto rev match has been discussed and complained about in these forums and people still don't get it. The reason for this feature is clear; to electronically protect the engine from downshift over revs AKA MONEYSHIFTS. Now I realize this would never ever apply to the brilliant professional drivers that occupy this forum but believe it or not there are mere mortals, flawed humans out there that this does apply to.

BMW DCT cars are fully electronically protected and they obviously want the same protection for manual transmission cars if they are to continue offering manuals. They obviously have the data that shows this is needed. For those that want to disable this feature they can do so provided they assume and understand the risk of driving aggressively without driver aids. BMW knows that a small fraction of buyers are this foolish and for those that do disable nannies the likelihood is they will be driving less aggressively minimizing risks of a blown motor. Blown motors are bad publicity for BMW and create too many dealer level warranty disputes. How many of you would blow up your new M2 motor and then man up and foot the bill without whining to the dealer?

At the end of the day BMW will sell every car they make with auto rev match and aren't too concerned about those potential lost customers who would be a longer term liability anyway. If we want to continue to see manual transmissions this is the price. If you don't like it you bought the wrong car and BMW doesn't care.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #22
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Flame suit on
Appreciate 0