BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > EU Delivery Lufthansa Flight Discounts? - 2017 experiences?

03-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
Deso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB MT

EU Delivery Lufthansa Flight Discounts? - 2017 experiences?

Has anyone gotten their EU welcome pack recently? Is there still a discount offer for Lufthansa and if so was it any good? Also how soon did you get the pack in your deal timeline?

I have a June 22nd pickup date, just confirmed, and want to get the best deal possible as airfare is currently $1300 from Chicago round trip. I expect pricing to only go up the longer I wait to book since this is a peak travel time.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 05:42 AM   #2
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don't think there's a Lufthansa link anymore. In fact, in the recent past when an discount was offered it was easy to beat with Expedia, Skyscanner or other travel sites.

Edit to add:
My friend likes to fly cheapest way so he's taking WOW next week at about $900 RT from SFO. In the past he's gone with Norwegian Air Service. These no frills airlines charge around $25 for carry-on (not checked luggage) per flight, a fee for reserved seat etc plus of course checked luggage fee and usually you're doing 2 flights per leg as the connection is in Iceland or Oslo. This way of going cheapest is not for everyone.

Last edited by Space gray; 03-31-2017 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deso View Post
Has anyone gotten their EU welcome pack recently? Is there still a discount offer for Lufthansa and if so was it any good? Also how soon did you get the pack in your deal timeline?

I have a June 22nd pickup date, just confirmed, and want to get the best deal possible as airfare is currently $1300 from Chicago round trip. I expect pricing to only go up the longer I wait to book since this is a peak travel time.

Thanks!
Also suggest following/subscribing to something like airfare watchdog where you can enter in your parameters and get alerts on trips from Chicago to Munich.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space gray View Post
I don't think there's a Lufthansa link anymore. In fact, in the recent past when an discount was offered it was easy to beat with Expedia, Skyscanner or other travel sites.

Edit to add:
My friend likes to fly cheapest way so he's taking WOW next week at about $900 RT from SFO. In the past he's gone with Norwegian Air Service. These no frills airlines charge around $25 for carry-on (not checked luggage) per flight, a fee for reserved seat etc plus of course checked luggage fee and usually you're doing 2 flights per leg as the connection is in Iceland or Oslo. This way of going cheapest is not for everyone.
I took Norwegian Air back from Germany last year...I would definitely suggest getting the LowFare+ since it gives you a meal. Otherwise, you are literally paying for everything. The flight was okay but its definitely a low cost airline. I'm sure Lufthansa is A LOT nicer
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
Deso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I love the flight times and routes of Lufthansa. I'll pay the $ but would rather save a little if there is still a discount. I'd be bummed to buy and then get a decent discount opportunity later.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
laserbeam2
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT (June ED)

My ED is the day before yours, 6/21. LBB MT, Exec, ACP

I'm flying out of SFO and was able to get two RT tickets for about $850/ea on British Airways. I purchased my tickets about a month ago, but when I first started looking, most flights were around $1,300. I set up parameters on both Kayak and Skyscanner and eventually was alerted to the British Airway flight and jumped on it. My flights aren't direct (stop in Philly on the way there and London on the way back), but was the best deal I encountered, so I pulled the trigger.

Good luck and enjoy you ED experience!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
MLife168
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

I got the package about a month ago. The discount code that you use online didn't work. I emailed BMW NA ED department and they gave me a number to call.

At the end the flight I booked was cheaper on Expedia than through the special discount. This was also the case the previous two times I did ED. Lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
MLife168
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I received the welcome pack the same week the dealer sent BMW NA my signed custom docs.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #9
Deso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvry View Post
My ED is the day before yours, 6/21. LBB MT, Exec, ACP

I'm flying out of SFO and was able to get two RT tickets for about $850/ea on British Airways. I purchased my tickets about a month ago, but when I first started looking, most flights were around $1,300. I set up parameters on both Kayak and Skyscanner and eventually was alerted to the British Airway flight and jumped on it. My flights aren't direct (stop in Philly on the way there and London on the way back), but was the best deal I encountered, so I pulled the trigger.

Good luck and enjoy you ED experience!
Thanks for sharing, we are picking up the same car, minus ACP.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #10
Deso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I received my welcome pack yesterday. The discount code for the Lufthansa website didn't work so I called the travel booking company. For the same flights they had a $30 discount per ticket but charged a $32 booking by fee.

So put another checkbox in the worthless column from me.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deso View Post
I received my welcome pack yesterday. The discount code for the Lufthansa website didn't work so I called the travel booking company. For the same flights they had a $30 discount per ticket but charged a $32 booking by fee.

So put another checkbox in the worthless column from me.
I found American Airlines was a lot cheaper and they also seem to share with Lufthansa so half my flights were on Lufthansa anyway
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #12
amitv85
Private
Rep
Drives: E430

The reason the pricing is cheaper...

The flight you will book for the discount or the buy 1 get 1 ticket is a higher level ticket class. It's refundable and probably earns more points.

A non-refundable ticket will always end up being cheaper.

I looked into this years ago before my first ED (that i ended up canceling) and it can sort of make sense with a business class ticket but even though, I get better deals elsewhere.

I'm flying out Monday, April 17th and picking up my M2 the 19th! I'm a flyer mile addict and used points to fly Lufthansa business. Lufthansa is awesome and fly them often through Star Alliance/United Airlines Points.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #13
MLife168
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitv85 View Post
The reason the pricing is cheaper...

The flight you will book for the discount or the buy 1 get 1 ticket is a higher level ticket class. It's refundable and probably earns more points.

A non-refundable ticket will always end up being cheaper.

I looked into this years ago before my first ED (that i ended up canceling) and it can sort of make sense with a business class ticket but even though, I get better deals elsewhere.

I'm flying out Monday, April 17th and picking up my M2 the 19th! I'm a flyer mile addict and used points to fly Lufthansa business. Lufthansa is awesome and fly them often through Star Alliance/United Airlines Points.
BMW Euro Delivery program has not offered the buy one get one free airfare for a while now. At least since 2013. If they did, the business class tickets MAY have been worth it... Generally the free ticket is just the airfare portion. You are still responsible for taxes and fees. Which is actually more expensive than the base fare. Two non refundable business class tickets may come out cheaper than 1 full price fare with taxes and one free fare with taxes based on full price fare.
Appreciate 0