BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > 2017 Rear Diff Problems?

01-28-2017, 02:24 AM   #89
Chillybo
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
2017 M2  [0.00]
I took delivery of my M2 back in September and haven't heard any noises yet.. Does anyone know if this happening on both the DCT and Manual? I have the manual. I did put it away for the winter so I'll have to see in the spring. My advice is to drive it like you stole it. Since the car is brand new and under warranted I would seriously drive the car hard to the point something breaks or falls out the rear end.. then BMW will have no choice but to replace drive-train.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #90
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Slayer View Post
If or when this sound happens on my car I'll flip out
^^^exactly lol, omfg this does not sound like the rock n' rotor I have had a few times. I would go to the dealer with those vids and see what they say stat
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #91
Lacroix1
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
Has anyone approached a BMW dealer with this sound and received a correct answer/fix?
I have, they laughed at me at first, then said to keep it with them to drive extensively for about 100 miles and try to replicate the noise. I said no way, I'll drive it until it breaks then tow it in for repairs.
Appreciate 4
      01-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #92
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
For the sake of argument... If you want to know if your diff works correctly do a massive burnout. If you leave 11 on the road it works. If you leave a 1 only on one side then the diff is bad.

Obviously do this on a dry day on flat tarmac and where safe to do so!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #93
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

There is no problem with the diff. Diffs that are electronically engaged like the M diff or locked are going to make some noise. Go to any forum for any car that has a diff like this and you will see posts from nervous new owners wondering if their car is broken because they don't understand how their car works. Stop the panic. These noises are either rocks in the brake areas (i have had that 3 times in 7,000 miles) or the rear diff doing its thing as it should. Noises like these and occasionally squeaky brakes or exhaust noise are what comes with a performance car.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:49 AM   #94
highspeed
Rep
Drives: E91 335xi, M2 (ordered)

I have to say that this noise do not appear at higher temperatures (+5°C) as much as on some degrees below 0 (-10°C).
So it really seems to be quite normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 02:08 PM   #95
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I have the diff clunk. It certainly is not a soda can noise or other nonsense.

When I go from reverse to drive I hear a clunk, and I also sometimes can hear the clunk when DCT engages/disengages while coasting.

The difference with me is that I don't recall hearing it so pronounced before my break-in service.

The sound does resemble a slightly less annoying version of the noise I had on my old MINI JCW with OS Giken limited slip diff. That made more of a clack sound. But under the same circumstances.
Appreciate 3
bim2er223.50
Z3MQP24.00
      03-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #96
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I love the people who insist it's rocks between the heat shield and rotor. Everytime something goes wrong with an M diff which is more common than you'd think, forum guys blame rocks. Obviously this is not rocks just like it wasn't with E9x M3 diff issues.

Now if it's a clunk, that's another story. That's totally normal and has been that way since E46 M3.
      07-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #97
trj3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I have a 01/17 M2PE MT. On cold start up it feels like something is going to rattle off the car. Once warm its gone... I have not noticed any diff issues on driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 05:21 AM   #98
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

Many of us here are not talking about the soda can shit. Ive had my my17 M2 for 13900km, and, NEVER has the "clunk-sound" been this noisy. And only in low rpm, first and second gear. It sounds like something is lose or broken in the back. Def not a normal sound. It sounds awful and is very noisy.

Had a quick check at a dealer, they said it might be the diff.
Appreciate 2
Z3MQP24.00
      07-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #99
Z3MQP
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupé, M2, F11, e30 325i

Please keep us updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makman View Post
Many of us here are not talking about the soda can shit. Ive had my my17 M2 for 13900km, and, NEVER has the "clunk-sound" been this noisy. And only in low rpm, first and second gear. It sounds like something is lose or broken in the back. Def not a normal sound. It sounds awful and is very noisy.

Appreciate 1
      07-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #100
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diffy View Post
I get a lot of whining noise coming from what must be either the gearbox or the diff...
I get this too sometimes, but it mostly comes from the passenger seat area. -scr
Appreciate 2
bobert858.50
      08-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #101
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

So... BMW haven't owned anything yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 04:49 AM   #102
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3MQP
Please keep us updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makman View Post

SO...im in munich and BMW HQ. Left my car to them this morning. So far ive only described the problem. Hopefully they'll find it and fix asap. If not, what else to do...im in the heart and mind of BMW...lel
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #103
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Just had the LSD replaced in my friends M4, same noises described, here. It's a '16 model and he's now trading it in for a Merc (boourns).

With these E-LSD's they seem work a bit different than what I've been used to. From having the M4 on the hoist (same LSD?), it's like an "open diff" from what I experienced. Because you spin the rear wheel one way and the opposing side spins the other? Then on the road once the car "senses" the loss of grip, it then engages the clutches inside the LSD to give you better traction to the wheel that has the most available grip, is this correct? It drives this way, for sure, from experience. The car gets a high amount of power oversteer and I think it's thanks to the LSD's characteristics, which is fine and all, just different.

I almost wonder if anyone would change out the LSD in the future, for heavy track use, etc? Not sure it would be worth it, but curiosity has me wondering about the long term durability of the electronic unit, versus a mechanical LSD which lasts and lasts..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 10:33 PM   #104
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

My '17 makes a clicking sound when the wheel is turned, left and right. Appears to be from the rear. Speed only changes the speed of clicks. Zero clicks while the wheel is straight.

Anyone have similar? Nothing like the soda can crunch.
Appreciate 2
Makman230.50
      10-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #105
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z
My '17 makes a clicking sound when the wheel is turned, left and right. Appears to be from the rear. Speed only changes the speed of clicks. Zero clicks while the wheel is straight.

Yes, especially when you hit a long corner....damn weird noises this car makes...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #106
Turbo_addict
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj3 View Post
I have a 01/17 M2PE MT. On cold start up it feels like something is going to rattle off the car. Once warm its gone... I have not noticed any diff issues on driving.
I experience this as well only when cold.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 03:38 AM   #107
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z View Post

My car makes a clicking noise in the right rear whenever. Can really only hear it slow.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #108
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
wow. Truly the first time I've actually listened for this sound. DUUUDDE!! That's Fucked up right ?

That's not the rock between the rotor and guard noise at all.

Is there any resistance in the chassis when this happens ? Someone mentioned the car lifting up at the rear ?

Omg if my car had this I think I would make the dealer service rep ride in the car and listen until they scream MAKE IT STOP! and throw the keys to a loaner while they call BMW about a new DIFF.. yikes.
hey try this on for size

After I installed my coil overs on the M4 I developed that similar noise, came and went but mainly in hard slow driveway turns. For the life of me i couldn't figure it out and the dealer didn't do anything cuz I modified the car with aftermarket parts. Well one day I have it off the ground and wheels off trying to figure out the diff clunk I was hearing and when I was rotating the axles I heard the sound! Spent the better part of a whole day trying to figure it out and what I think it was is when I put the coil overs in I leaned on the rotor shield too much and it slightly deformed it. I flexes a lot, tweak it in one area and it makes noise in another...damn pain in the ass. So I picked around with it forever but found a happy spot and never heard the sound again......till I wrecked it.

I think it is real close in where it fits near the hub and any changes in the load on areas causes it to tweek and touch. Either way it does not hurt anything just is very annoying. This is different yet the same as the rocks in the shield except is sounds kinda the same just at a lower tone but it is so close that is why little pebbles get caught in there. You might have something in that space and it only screams under side loading

Just my experience...... Remember the harder you run her the less your going to have time to pick at the small issues
Oh....where's that guy with the thousand dollars

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 10-15-2017 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 03:47 AM   #109
Louzy77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Rear Diff failure

My car is a May 2016 OG M2, a few months ago I noticed rear diff fluid leak, brought it in and had the seals replaced. Few months later, very loud whining noise, brought it in again. Diff fluid was speckled with white bits and entire diff needed replacement. Thinking back, there was noise on going round a bend from the rear that was not the 'soda crunch noise'. My car is outside the 5 year warranty and it is an expensive repair. Sigh. BMW=brings more worry
Appreciate 0