BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Drive options and modes for manual vs dct

03-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #23
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

I don't think you need a flame suit for that - fairly logical statements. just slightly ranty and long winded
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #24
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
I cannot believe the number of times auto rev match has been discussed and complained about in these forums and people still don't get it. The reason for this feature is clear; to electronically protect the engine from downshift over revs AKA MONEYSHIFTS. Now I realize this would never ever apply to the brilliant professional drivers that occupy this forum but believe it or not there are mere mortals, flawed humans out there that this does apply to.

BMW DCT cars are fully electronically protected and they obviously want the same protection for manual transmission cars if they are to continue offering manuals. They obviously have the data that shows this is needed. For those that want to disable this feature they can do so provided they assume and understand the risk of driving aggressively without driver aids. BMW knows that a small fraction of buyers are this foolish and for those that do disable nannies the likelihood is they will be driving less aggressively minimizing risks of a blown motor. Blown motors are bad publicity for BMW and create too many dealer level warranty disputes. How many of you would blow up your new M2 motor and then man up and foot the bill without whining to the dealer?

At the end of the day BMW will sell every car they make with auto rev match and aren't too concerned about those potential lost customers who would be a longer term liability anyway. If we want to continue to see manual transmissions this is the price. If you don't like it you bought the wrong car and BMW doesn't care.
How is auto revmatch gonna save you when you downshift from 5th to 2nd instead of 4th while closing fast to a corner? Is there an electronic safeguard for the manual trans or engine to prevent overrev?

Last edited by Benef1cient; 03-29-2017 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #25
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Yeah, rev match won't stop you throwing it in a gear that's too low at speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #26
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
I cannot believe the number of times auto rev match has been discussed and complained about in these forums and people still don't get it. The reason for this feature is clear; to electronically protect the engine from downshift over revs AKA MONEYSHIFTS. Now I realize this would never ever apply to the brilliant professional drivers that occupy this forum but believe it or not there are mere mortals, flawed humans out there that this does apply to.

BMW DCT cars are fully electronically protected and they obviously want the same protection for manual transmission cars if they are to continue offering manuals. They obviously have the data that shows this is needed. For those that want to disable this feature they can do so provided they assume and understand the risk of driving aggressively without driver aids. BMW knows that a small fraction of buyers are this foolish and for those that do disable nannies the likelihood is they will be driving less aggressively minimizing risks of a blown motor. Blown motors are bad publicity for BMW and create too many dealer level warranty disputes. How many of you would blow up your new M2 motor and then man up and foot the bill without whining to the dealer?

At the end of the day BMW will sell every car they make with auto rev match and aren't too concerned about those potential lost customers who would be a longer term liability anyway. If we want to continue to see manual transmissions this is the price. If you don't like it you bought the wrong car and BMW doesn't care.
As mentioned, rev-match can only work to bring the engine speed up or down, it cannot prevent the driver releasing the clutch having selected 2nd instead of 6th. It will possibly lessen the chance of unsettling the rear of the car if the clutch is dropped with a several thousand rpm difference.

As for the rest of your kind thoughts, I'm getting a manual and will make the most of it and I'm certain enjoy it hugely even with rev matching. However as I'm currently in an M135i manual which avoids that feature, I do get a lot of satisfaction from heel-toe on downshifts. It's also not an on/off skill, it's nice to be able to trickle the revs up to smoothly connect when driving gently, all the way up to a forceful sharp blip when swapping down as you brake hard into a hairpin.

The M2's pedal placement and weighting are excellent for heel-toe as well so it's just a slight shame this function cannot be easily selected on and off.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 01:47 PM   #27
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinPurple View Post
Just to clarify, you drive with DSC off each and every time you get in the car?
I do, most of the time. Today is an exception. It's 40F and pissing down rain, so I'm leaving it in 'comfort' mode. And part of the reason for that is, if someone else runs into me, they can't point and say, "He had TC turned off! It's obviously his fault even though I was the one that blew the stop sign!"

When I was younger and dumber, I used to daily drive a modified Sunbeam Tiger* in South Florida's monsoon downpours. The M2 is a complete pussycat in comparison.

*Slightly lower power/weight ratio to the M2, but with a not-particularly-well-controlled stick axle in the back, and really weird Ackermann issues in the front.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2017, 04:01 AM   #28
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
The best mode for me on a daily basis is "Traction/MDM/hidden exhaust mode". It gives plenty of slip angle and doesn't cut the power when losing traction like every other mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #29
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

If you know how to drive manual, get manual. It won't be long before manual transmissions cease to exist save for, say, special order Porsche models and such. Get a driver's transmission while you still can!