BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > After 6 weeks...some gripes

03-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #23
zmo
Private
Peru
Rep
Drives: ///M2 MG M-DCT (MY2017)

There's one thing that I'd agree with the OP, if you are in traffic and start from full stop in 1st (DCT), you're gonna feel as if a teenager is learning how to use the clutch. Here's my feedback:

-Start from full stop in 2nd gear, always. Smooth as hell in sport.
-There seems to be a rubber band lurching effect (sometimes) when switching from 1st to 2nd at low revs, I think this is due to the clutch (DCT) not hooking in properly. I've had this happen with no cars close, but if there's close traffic, it could be kinda dangerous leading to a mini accident.

TL;DR:
-When you are in traffic launch from 2nd if you are in sport/sport+ and have a DCT car.
-I don't find the same lurching with comfort, but I never drive on that mode, so I haven't much anecdotal evidence regarding that mode.
-Other than that, the car is an 8.75/10 car: IMO, it needs more alcantara, some leather in the dash, no ASD, less weight (manual seats, more carbon, less sound proofing, etc...), bigger turbo, adaptable M suspension, carbon ceramic brakes option, proper rotors for chopper like flying as in Inspector Gadget's backpack, and to include a bulldog (just like the car's pose) as a gift pet, preferably a British one.

Last edited by zmo; 03-29-2017 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
zenmaster1576.50
      03-31-2017, 09:13 AM   #24
her02k
Private
Rep
Drives: 997 turbo

Can't believe people actually care about those things in a car like this.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 10:32 AM   #25
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmo View Post
There's one thing that I'd agree with the OP, if you are in traffic and start from full stop in 1st (DCT), you're gonna feel as if a teenager is learning how to use the clutch. Here's my feedback:

-Start from full stop in 2nd gear, always. Smooth as hell in sport.
-There seems to be a rubber band lurching effect (sometimes) when switching from 1st to 2nd at low revs, I think this is due to the clutch (DCT) not hooking in properly. I've had this happen with no cars close, but if there's close traffic, it could be kinda dangerous leading to a mini accident.

TL;DR:
-When you are in traffic launch from 2nd if you are in sport/sport+ and have a DCT car.
-I don't find the same lurching with comfort, but I never drive on that mode, so I haven't much anecdotal evidence regarding that mode.
-Other than that, the car is an 8.75/10 car: IMO, it needs more alcantara, some leather in the dash, no ASD, less weight (manual seats, more carbon, less sound proofing, etc...), bigger turbo, adaptable M suspension, carbon ceramic brakes option, proper rotors for chopper like flying as in Inspector Gadget's backpack, and to include a bulldog (just like the car's pose) as a gift pet, preferably a British one.
You can start in 2nd on a DCT?

I'm not car expert, but isn't starting a manual car in 2nd bad for the clutch?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #26
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

No car is perfect, for every characteristic that one person doesn't like another probably likes it so BMW or any manufacturer has to make compromises. I have had my car since late October and have over 10,000 miles on it. I wish the digital speed display was larger and higher in the display, of course I think many of us wish there were more gauge displays like oil pressure, temp etc. It seems to me BMW could easily do this on the Nav display as a selectable feature. Other than that I think the ergonomics and performance of the car are very good which is what I look for.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 11:11 AM   #27
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by giphlag View Post
there is indeed a screensaver for the display, try hitting the option button and you can set how quickly it comes on
A lot of stuff is hidden under the option button and it's easy to forget that it is only accessible via the iDrive button.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #28
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
A few issues/gripes I have:

Can't adjust headrest fore-aft
Led portion of instrument cluster always has glow
Font size in led section to small
Starting from full stop, DCT bucks like a teenager learning to use clutch
Memory buttons are not context sensitive
No screen saver for control display
Changing drivelogic selections always requires two presses of button
No way to select "P" when leaving car
Mirrors do not dim enough
Anti collision is worthless as programmed. Even KIA's will come to full stop
No collision warning if car is just coasting (not accelerating)
No way to clear all previous calls
Totally agree about headrest, it sucks. I hate when it meets the back of my head in a thin edge instead of a flat surface. I love the one in my X5 that allows you to fold up the sides. At least it doesn't push my head forward and strain my neck like some cars.

My M2 DCT has not bucked, yet. It does happen w/the X5 w/auto and yes it is embarrassing. People outside who see it must think the driver doesn't know how to drive a stick.

I am so spoiled with being able to jump out of the X5 and have the car automatically go into P but it has an automatic and electronic brake (which sucks when changing the rear brakes and rotor). Originally, I had thought the DCT was an automatic (TRQ converter) and expected the same behavior as the X5, till I read more . Though I wish when I put it in N and pulled the brake it didn't warn me that the car might take off.

I'd rather have the mirror dim not enough than too much. My old MB was too much and made it hard to see at night.

I'm not sure, I need to RTM but try the iDrive option button to clear previous calls.

Last edited by omasou; 03-31-2017 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #29
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Speaking of trivial, I wish there was a way on my 2017 to call up that "M" screen that comes on every now and then on start-up (still can't tell under what circumstances it does it), and use IT as a screensaver, instead of the clock....I've tried to save it to a button, but it won't do that...

Last edited by BruceM; 03-31-2017 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
omasou2088.00
      03-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #30
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
No car is perfect, for every characteristic that one person doesn't like another probably likes it so BMW or any manufacturer has to make compromises. I have had my car since late October and have over 10,000 miles on it. I wish the digital speed display was larger and higher in the display, of course I think many of us wish there were more gauge displays like oil pressure, temp etc. It seems to me BMW could easily do this on the Nav display as a selectable feature. Other than that I think the ergonomics and performance of the car are very good which is what I look for.
If you want to see good ergonomics sit in an old Saab (900 series? when the changed the body style in 92) You could tell they designed fighter jets. Everything was in the exact right place and reachable.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 05:09 PM   #31
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
A lot of stuff is hidden under the option button and it's easy to forget that it is only accessible via the iDrive button.
Not in a 2016.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 05:34 PM   #32
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:
A few issues/gripes I have:

Can't adjust headrest fore-aft
Led portion of instrument cluster always has glow
Font size in led section to small
Starting from full stop, DCT bucks like a teenager learning to use clutch
No screen saver for control display
Changing drivelogic selections always requires two presses of button
No way to select "P" when leaving car
Mirrors do not dim enough
Anti collision is worthless as programmed. Even KIA's will come to full stop
No collision warning if car is just coasting (not accelerating)
No way to clear all previous calls
Any feedback in regards to driving the car, dynamics, performance, etc.? Pretty sure you really don't understand why BMW made the M2.

I do agree with not being able to put the car in Park as you like - that is a miss. Rolling off the track completely hot you have no options except to quickly "block" the car from rolling.
      04-01-2017, 10:02 AM   #33
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Apparently people lost my point. I love the mechanics and handling of the car. I have been a BMW owner since 1972. However, if BMW is making this a semi luxury car then these other items need to work correctly.

Nowhere was it mentioned I did not like the car. It drives great. I wish BMW offered a stripped own version. Manual, cloth seats. Without iDrive. etc.

This is the same as others complaining about the sound system, or the color of the tunt signals, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #34
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Had similar bucking with DCT in my E93 M3. It was very annoying. Much improved with the power button off. Otherwise the throttle was way too sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #35
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

If DCT bucks try having your adaptations reset. If that doesn't help ask if there are any SIB's for DCT.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #36
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Please elaborate: my programmable buttons, apart from some frequently used addresses and phone numbers, also feature onboard info (of the "Vehicle Info" menu) - SATNAV voice on/off - Split screen on/off.
      04-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #37
zmo
Private
Peru
Rep
Drives: ///M2 MG M-DCT (MY2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshot_rooke View Post
You can start in 2nd on a DCT?

I'm not car expert, but isn't starting a manual car in 2nd bad for the clutch?
There is absolutely no problem starting in 2nd with this gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 12:06 AM   #38
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

For those commenting on the "headrests" technically they are not headrests they are head restraints. They're there to prevent whiplash. I can see a passenger resting their head on one but a driver? Really?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 12:54 AM   #39
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Passat R36

Quote:
Apparently people lost my point. I love the mechanics and handling of the car. I have been a BMW owner since 1972. However, if BMW is making this a semi luxury car then these other items need to work correctly.

Nowhere was it mentioned I did not like the car. It drives great. I wish BMW offered a stripped own version. Manual, cloth seats. Without iDrive. etc.

This is the same as others complaining about the sound system, or the color of the tunt signals, etc.
Lol...sorry man, but you broke the first rule of M2 Club...the M2 is perfect in absolutely every way and you will not say otherwise! Or else...

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 04:31 AM   #40
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
For those commenting on the "headrests" technically they are not headrests they are head restraints. They're there to prevent whiplash. I can see a passenger resting their head on one but a driver? Really?
Headrests in the E46 M3 can be tilted. On long journeys, that's a neat relaxing feature for the passenger, as well as for the driver. I had two E46 M3s so know how I personally experienced those. No idea why BMW discontinued that comfort feature: either for safety or "Because Racecar !" ?

I don't mind that you can tinker with seat settings. If an 'E46 M3'-alike tilt option for the headrests would be an option, I'll get it. The more modular, the better.

Different topic, but same reasoning: check the Porsche debates about pros and cons of the 918 Spyder lightweight bucket seats that trickled down to other models as option (for example the Cayman GT4): "test those first before ordering, go sit in one: look great, but a bit of a pain to get in/out of, the backrest position cannot be adjusted which may be uncomfortable for some, not the right size for everyone's shoulders and a bit Spartan on long rides (make stops to relax your back !)". The stock Porsche seats are dubbed "the sofas" (no joke), hence the "did you get the LWBS or did you stick with the sofas ?" discussions.

It's those little things, like also for example the brief beep that sounded when you put the car in reverse. Also discontinued. Why ? Some will say: "you ain't worthy driving an ///M car if you like those silly things ! Are you He-Man or are you a sissy ?" For God's sake, it's a vehicle; fun provider, for sure, but not every second must be a spirited adrenalin rush. Alike music: different music for different moods. Not the full fanfare on display all-the-time.
      04-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #41
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The problem for me on the "headrest" is that they push my head a bit forward. Its the part that sticks out that is uncomfortable. After a while I have a neck pain. No space to move head to alleviate the pain.

I had to raise way high in order to have some space but yet still provide safety.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 10:13 AM   #42
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashrawr View Post
Lol...sorry man, but you broke the first rule of M2 Club...the M2 is perfect in absolutely every way and you will not say otherwise! Or else...
That's too funny!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #43
Maniax
Enlisted Member
Rep

I owned a M135i and then the M2.
I regret not having driven the M135i hard enough during the test drive. Only after owning the M135i did I realize that when driving it beyond 80%, was the rear loose and vague. It just felt like a fast car, not a sports car. No point being fast if it was unstable.

So I really drove the M2 during the test drive. It was very clear that it is a much more stable and confidence inspiring car, which my wife could tell from the back passenger seat too.

Now that I upgrade to the M2, I really feel I wasted my money on the M135i (lsd, rear subframe brace and other mods). I should have gotten the M2 the first time!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #44
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

I'm pissed off that you have to jiggle the handle on the flush mechanism. German engineering my ass.
Appreciate 1
Aronis2271.50