BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > g87 vs f87 thoughts

11-18-2023, 04:23 PM   #155
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I think that we will all agree here that the g87 will be a better street car period. I think everyone is basically saying the same thing just like the CS is also the better street car with the adaptive suspension.

But also everyone has different tolerances of what should be acceptable in a suspension or what is preferable to them. Also everyone drives all kinds of different roads so really I think everyone is probably right here in their own experiences.

Chris Harris definitely loved his comp and then his CS and now he loves the g87. I think he likes them all. I actually think his g87 review comes out tomorrow
Appreciate 2
MSH_136.50
ASAP10256.50
      11-19-2023, 02:28 AM   #156
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Joe Achilees - stop with this jokeseter before you even get there... every BMW that is released to him is perfect, he is a shilll for the brand and gets everything for free.
Quote:
Ironically, he does point out the M2C suspension faults because he is one of the few people that does a true road test.
Do you always contradict yourself like that? LOL

You must not have watched much of Joe's content. He's critical of BMW quite frequently. Yes, he sounds like a shill when he's singing the praises of something. But it's not true that he's never critical. Which you seemed to realize seconds after your first rant.

And he does NOT "get everything for free". He buys his new cars from Tony what's-his-bucket and always shows the ordering and pickup process. Nobody's giving him those cars.
      11-19-2023, 07:46 AM   #157
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
I think that we will all agree here that the g87 will be a better street car period. I think everyone is basically saying the same thing just like the CS is also the better street car with the adaptive suspension.

But also everyone has different tolerances of what should be acceptable in a suspension or what is preferable to them. Also everyone drives all kinds of different roads so really I think everyone is probably right here in their own experiences.

Chris Harris definitely loved his comp and then his CS and now he loves the g87. I think he likes them all. I actually think his g87 review comes out tomorrow
I will agree that everyone will have preferences on what they feel is better... i don't think a suspension being categorized as unsettled or bouncy is really an opinion... that will depend on the roads you drive. It was the most fun car i've ever owned... it was not a good M nor performance car IMHO due to how unsettled it was... again everyone can have an opinion on that.
      11-19-2023, 07:52 AM   #158
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Do you always contradict yourself like that? LOL

You must not have watched much of Joe's content. He's critical of BMW quite frequently. Yes, he sounds like a shill when he's singing the praises of something. But it's not true that he's never critical. Which you seemed to realize seconds after your first rant.

And he does NOT "get everything for free". He buys his new cars from Tony what's-his-bucket and always shows the ordering and pickup process. Nobody's giving him those cars.
I don't really take someone seriously that isn't really a long termer and recycles all of his cars after 5-6k miles... the dude has had every iteration of the G80... from rwd to xdrive, to sedan to touring... why? no one knows... but i suspect there is a kickback of BMW at work there in which he gets very favorable purchase terms.

Yes he has been critical of BMWs in the past but NAMELY only cars that were already univerally panned i.e the XM... so he isn't bringing an original opinion or unconventional opinion to anything here. Also re read my comment carefully... he never SAID the M2C suspension was XYZ, he said a G80 is far better sorted... so it's a relative comparison more than anything. Mind you, he doesn't daily his M2c, drives it the least of all of his cars and is already heavily modded... he actually blew the motor if you watch his vids.

As far as M2C videos in general are concerned... if there is a long term video of an M2C owner WHO drove his car hard on the streets or backroads (not track) and never modified his suspension... i'd like to see that and their opinion... that's the primary use case of most owners, yet i haven't seen a single real review of that sort... remember not initial thoughts here but long term drives or after thoughts.
      11-19-2023, 10:56 AM   #159
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:

As far as M2C videos in general are concerned... if there is a long term video of an M2C owner WHO drove his car hard on the streets or backroads (not track) and never modified his suspension... i'd like to see that and their opinion... that's the primary use case of most owners, yet i haven't seen a single real review of that sort... remember not initial thoughts here but long term drives or after thoughts.
Not a comp, but i fit all these criteria and this is my review: if you want a 1m, buy an f87; if you want an m4, buy a g87. If you cant tell the difference, buy an audi.
Davil6601.50
      11-19-2023, 11:13 AM   #160
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
Not a comp, but i fit all these criteria and this is my review: if you want a 1m, buy an f87; if you want an m4, buy a g87. If you cant tell the difference, buy an audi.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 12:09 PM   #161
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
I agree with that... my experience backs that up 100%.

With that being said, the 1M was an even worse performer than the M2 lol... it never set any good track times and was insanely snappy... alas its still loved by many just absolutely not me... then add in that the m235i of the following gen romped it on any track, makes it a non starter.
      11-19-2023, 12:30 PM   #162
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
I agree with that... my experience backs that up 100%.

With that being said, the 1M was an even worse performer than the M2 lol... it never set any good track times and was insanely snappy... alas its still loved by many just absolutely not me... then add in that the m235i of the following gen romped it on any track, makes it a non starter.
To me, the 1m showed us what a non-luxury m car would be like (awesome). The f87 is the heir to that.
///M TOWN22347.50
      11-19-2023, 02:02 PM   #163
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
I personally think that each generation has its own unique character. It just really depends what do you need from a car. If a car speaks to you , it means a lot. I had the chance to replace my F87 CS to a 992 GT3 , and i simply didnt want to. Many said im crazy , but thats how it is. Simply because its just so much fun to drive. The GT3 is a different animal , but i really think the M2 is just much more fun to drive. Thats why it was an instant success.

Every newer generation will be faster. That doesnt mean we must keep selling our cars just to get the newer/better. You might find yourself enjoying the G87 more depending on your driving style. There is huge difference in driving dynamics imo between the 2 generations.

For me? I just need a car that speaks to me , and each time i get behind the steering wheel to get many smiles. Im not chasing laptimes or 0-60 times etc.

The G87 is a more civilised machine , and thats not a bad thing , its just different !

Last edited by F87EVO; 11-20-2023 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 6
MSH_136.50
Davil6601.50
M3R12218.00
      11-19-2023, 03:33 PM   #164
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

My take:

M2C needs better tires than stock. Cup2s have given it a more sure footing.

G87 has bigger tires stock, it only makes sense that it sticks better even with more weight.

The adaptive suspension of the G87 may be good for everyday driving but real track rats are going to rip it out and install good coilovers. The M3 & M4 guys have been doing that for years.

For some of us what it comes down to is feel. If the car feels right then that's the one. I drove so many cars before I bought my M2C and most of them were very disappointing in comparison. I look forward to trying a G87 just for the hell of it. I don't think I'll be tempted though since my M2C is dialed in. I also really dislike the video screens all over the dash on the G87 and I haven't warmed up to the new boy racer look. Different strokes...
Appreciate 3
      11-19-2023, 04:06 PM   #165
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

I miss my 1M...
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN22347.50
      11-19-2023, 04:08 PM   #166
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
My take:

G87 has bigger tires stock, it only makes sense that it sticks better even with more weight.

The adaptive suspension of the G87 may be good for everyday driving but real track rats are going to rip it out and install good coilovers. The M3 & M4 guys have been doing that for years.

For some of us what it comes down to is feel. If the car feels right then that's the one. I drove so many cars before I bought my M2C and most of them were very disappointing in comparison. I look forward to trying a G87 just for the hell of it. I don't think I'll be tempted though since my M2C is dialed in. I also really dislike the video screens all over the dash on the G87 and I haven't warmed up to the new boy racer look. Different strokes...
the ps4s transform that car on the street to be very very grippy (actually too grippy imo lol, they become no fun).

Also here

ahahha I love the I like this car more people people don't.
As expected, a much better road car, more comfortable, more composed.
Manual transmission is better (he is not the first person to say it), maybe they took some clues from the manual trans on the supra which apparently is quite good. Rear seats are bigger but head room is less. Car rips of course, no surprises there. The screens are shit though, I will die on that hill. Also black is by far the best color on this car

Last edited by MooMooM2; 11-19-2023 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 07:12 PM   #167
ThreeStripes
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
The screens are shit though, I will die on that hill. Also black is by far the best color on this car
Maaan if they had just given this thing two dials for guages with amber backlight at night. What a shame.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN22347.50
Namakan21.00
      11-19-2023, 07:18 PM   #168
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Maaan if they had just given this thing two dials for guages with amber backlight at night. What a shame.
yep, coulda have had a big center screen (which I would still rather it would not have have proper buttons) but just some sort of hybrid center screen like porsche is doing and would have been so much better.
Basically seems like porsche is the only one doing it right still
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 08:23 AM   #169
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
My take:

Few things - why should I have to modify a stock M car out of the factory? I bought an M car for a reason.

Cup 2s are not for everyone and they aren't great in slightly colder temps nor poor weather...those tires won't work for most people. I live in FL and I still don't want to drive on semi slick tires.

Track rats? Is everyone that buys an M2 a track rat or is this car primarily meant to serve as a daily that can be pushed hard on the streets? I suspect 90% of owners have never seen a track and just want to have the max fun on the street.

The last paragraph... i agree with... it comes down to what one prefers and the feeling they want. The feeling I want is of a better road car that performs... and according to the recent Chris Harris video is it is multiple times better in that sense... namely a more settled chassis and suspension. He literally drives the car over bumps and the vehicle isn't upset... the F87 would have been launched like a Space X rocket in that instance.
      11-20-2023, 09:18 AM   #170
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

ASAP, I see which one you prefer. As I said different strokes. The reason I brought up track enthusiasts is because some of this thread has been focused on the track. I think you may be exaggerating on some of your points but hey, it's your post.
Appreciate 1
MDuckie96.00
      11-20-2023, 09:32 AM   #171
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Few things - why should I have to modify a stock M car out of the factory? I bought an M car for a reason.

Cup 2s are not for everyone and they aren't great in slightly colder temps nor poor weather...those tires won't work for most people. I live in FL and I still don't want to drive on semi slick tires.

Track rats? Is everyone that buys an M2 a track rat or is this car primarily meant to serve as a daily that can be pushed hard on the streets? I suspect 90% of owners have never seen a track and just want to have the max fun on the street.

The last paragraph... i agree with... it comes down to what one prefers and the feeling they want. The feeling I want is of a better road car that performs... and according to the recent Chris Harris video is it is multiple times better in that sense... namely a more settled chassis and suspension. He literally drives the car over bumps and the vehicle isn't upset... the F87 would have been launched like a Space X rocket in that instance.
100% agree and thats why people kept their E30s , their E36s their E46s etc etc. Each one of those generations offer a different driving experience. Some cars have more in common with others. Cars like the E46 and F87 for instance , but again each one has its own unique flavour. And thats about it.

I made the mistake to visit the link with Chris Harris ''review'' on the G87 forums , what a mistake! The community calls everyone with an F87 a butthurt because 1 man said the things he've said.

It is what it is ! Who cares about reviews and staff. Yeah i remember myself waiting for every single M2 CS review back then. The real review is to drive the car yourself ! And if you are happy with it stay ! If you want to taste a different experience then upgrade to something else.

My taste? its called F87. I love every single thing about it. From the driving experience and how awesome it feels ,to the looks , to the practicality . Love its manual idk how Chris Harris said otherwise ( Henry Catchpole said the exact opposite from 27:00 - 28:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yd6ieA3tCA&t=1091s)

And i know where Henry Catchpole is now and where Chris Harris , but anyway thats not the point.

Personally i love the hooligan that the F87 is.
Some prefer a more comfortable , more civilized driving experience , and people say its a better all rounder - and im sure it is!

There is something for everyone. And if you really love cars , or M2s - you would never shit on the badge either it deserve it or not. There are 2 M2s now , and each own provide different experiences ! just like an E46 M3 to an E92 M3. Its that simple ! And whilst the G87 is not for my tastes , i still celebrate the fact that such cars still exist - and they will still be here until late 20s.

I just hope everyone will find the generation he loves/suits him the most/best.
DanG10848.00
MSH_136.50
Davil6601.50
M3R12218.00
RideM317.00
      11-20-2023, 10:23 AM   #172
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmercs. View Post
I'm in this camp for sure.
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4062.50
MDuckie96.00
      11-20-2023, 12:31 PM   #173
MSH_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ss View Post
I'm in this camp for sure.
Agreed. There was a thread a couple months ago where I explained why I wanted a M2C.
Years back I had a track sorted Z3M Coupe that I absolutely loved and would still have it if it weren't for "life" at the time and I was forced to sell it. It was raw & rowdy and with that short wheelbase it could be a handful if you didn't stay on your toes when you were ripping it. There was drama and character. In the modern BMW line up the F87 M2/M2C (to me) is by far the closest car to capture all those characteristics I loved in my old Clownshoe.
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4062.50
m2ss1869.50
      11-20-2023, 12:43 PM   #174
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH_ View Post
Agreed. There was a thread a couple months ago where I explained why I wanted a M2C.
Years back I had a track sorted Z3M Coupe that I absolutely loved and would still have it if it weren't for "life" at the time and I was forced to sell it. It was raw & rowdy and with that short wheelbase it could be a handful if you didn't stay on your toes when you were ripping it. There was drama and character. In the modern BMW line up the F87 M2/M2C (to me) is by far the closest car to capture all those characteristics I loved in my old Clownshoe.
Im feeling you ! Ive just uploaded a short video from one of my drives with cup2s in the wet. I absolutely loved that drive ! Watch on the app for better quality

Last edited by F87EVO; 12-27-2023 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 4
MSH_136.50
M3R12218.00
///M TOWN22347.50
      11-20-2023, 01:20 PM   #175
ThreeStripes
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Im feeling you ! Ive just uploaded a short video from one of my drives with cup2s in the wet. I absolutely loved that drive ! Watch on the app for better quality https://youtu.be/5XKzcCwMkio?si=UOwqH1aWRNDj0naa
Windows down smiles up.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4062.50
///M TOWN22347.50
      11-20-2023, 01:23 PM   #176
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote: