BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Let's discuss the BMW "M2 CS" rumor: will there be a hardcore M2 variant 2019/2020 ?

11-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #1563
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

So anyone care to speculate on Hockenheim Silver? I really want the car in a similar color to Mineral Grey. I was thinking BMW probably wouldn't have dropped Mineral Grey if Hockenheim Silver was a light shade of silver.

I think most M cars look really really good in a deep Grey.

Artemis do you have any insight?
      11-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #1564
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosielia View Post
So anyone care to speculate on Hockenheim Silver? I really want the car in a similar color to Mineral Grey. I was thinking BMW probably wouldn't have dropped Mineral Grey if Hockenheim Silver was a light shade of silver.
Excerpt of post #1043 in the sister thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Same goes for the repeated claim that Mineral Grey (paint code B39) will also be available as color for the 'M2 Competition' (see recently for example here and here): if that info comes straight from BMW, then that claim should be considered to be accurate, of course. However, do know that none of the 'M2 Competition' test mules got the Mineral Grey body color - all known cars either got AW, BSM, LBB, Sunset O or HS body colors. Therefore also here the assumption that - until stated otherwise by BMW - Mineral Grey won't be available for the 'M2 Competition'. Hockenheim Silver is expected to be the 'M2 Competition' launch color.

This begs more generally the question whether we can infer from 'M2 Competition' VIN build sheets how that car will be powered and equipped. IMHO, as its genuine information straight from the horse's mouth, it gives us at least a better idea than hard-to-verify rumors. As said before: alike hips, VINs don't lie.
See also post #1031 of this thread (including references to HS touch-up paint).
      11-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #1565
Oxymoron
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI MGM

Put $1000 down to be 2nd on the list at my dealer for the Competition.

The contract is subject to 2 things. Final price and ......... exhaust sound hahaha
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #1566
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymoron View Post
Put $1000 down to be 2nd on the list at my dealer for the Competition.

The contract is subject to 2 things. Final price and ......... exhaust sound hahaha
Wow, you're just 2nd on the list, this far along? I was like 4th at mine, and that was at least 3 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 08:19 AM   #1567
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
Yes, but I've now test driven 2 2018 RS3s and found them to be, honestly, a bit bland. No real edge, no manual transmission option, and pretty darn smal, as well as fairly boring on the outside too.

Drove a M3 Competition today, and that was fabulous. The dealer wouldn't let me drive the M2 they had in stock. But I have to assume that is also awesome.

I've owned an M2, M3 Comp and as of Friday own an RS3 (while waiting on the M2 Comp). Quick impressions.

Well I went out early this am with cold conditions (frost on the road and under 32 degrees) and with summer tires to see what it does.

(This is a great way to feel it out without violating break in rules, which I won't. It is like a hyper-exaggerated version of itself or like driving in slippery conditions.)

So, well, it's an Audi. Brake almost completely in a straight line, trail-brake to keep the weight on the nose for turn-in and while setting the angle, then roll on the power to pull her through the corner. Completely different handling than the M2/M3.

Note - 1, even at 30mph in these conditions if you snap off the throttle, with any angle in, the rear steps out.

Note -2, The Mag suspension is really good. It sucks up sharp bumps but has very little roll. I think it is better than the M2/M3 Comp suspension.

Note -3, I'm shifting at 4k max and she is already quick. In a straight line she is quicker than the M2/M3.

Note -4, I'm too tall for this car. At 6 feet ,with a long torso, I can't wear a baseball cap without it hitting with the seat as far down as it goes.

600 more miles and I will give you a better report.
      11-28-2017, 12:59 PM   #1568
Juicehead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Raptor

Can someone give me some cliffies on the M2 Comp? I have perused through this thread, emailed my salesman, etc.

Reply from salesman on M2 Comp availability (US):

"So, as of right now the answer is still no. There is debate between BMW NA and BMW AG due to the high rate of requests for this."
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #1569
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicehead View Post
Can someone give me some cliffies on the M2 Comp? I have perused through this thread, emailed my salesman, etc.

"So, as of right now the answer is still no. There is debate between BMW NA and BMW AG due to the high rate of requests for this."
What do you want to know?

MR
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #1570
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:

If I understand you correctly, you're trying to find out if this car will be made. The answer is yes, it just hasn't officially been announced yet by BMW. If your dealer won't give you a contract and take a deposit on it, find another that will.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #1571
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
If I understand you correctly, you're trying to find out if this car will be made. The answer is yes, it just hasn't officially been announced yet by BMW. If your dealer won't give you a contract and take a deposit on it, find another that will.
PR campaign M2 Competition cars have been built in the meantime.
      11-28-2017, 02:02 PM   #1572
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:

Rumors so far: N55 M2 EOP is Spring '18 (May if I remember correctly) at which point M2 Competition begins. S55 motor and not limited production...replaces as the 'base' M2. Pricing increase not expected to be drastic if not optioned out (seats, wheels, brakes, etc). Will be made for MY19 and MY20. MT and DCT should be on offer.
Also speculated is MY20 M2 CSL of which there is very limited info other than a limited run of 1,000 (999) units.

....at least that's how I've understood things so far.
      11-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #1573
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
Rumors so far: N55 M2 EOP is Spring '18 (May if I remember correctly) at which point M2 Competition begins. S55 motor and not limited production...replaces as the 'base' M2. Pricing increase not expected to be drastic if not optioned out (seats, wheels, brakes, etc). Will be made for MY19 and MY20. MT and DCT should be on offer.
Also speculated is MY20 M2 CSL of which there is very limited info other than a limited run of 1,000 (999) units.

....at least that's how I've understood things so far.
It's expected to be late June or early July of 2018.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 01:32 PM   #1574
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
It's expected to be late June or early July of 2018.
Yep, you are correct

Went to the dealer today to take in the X3 for an oil change (also test drove new X3 M40i, exhaust sounds great and quick, ride was bit rough, felt like the M2 LOL), anyways i talked to the sales manager and he showed me on the computer M2 Competition will start production July 2018.
Appreciate 2
hellrotm4142.50
      11-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #1575
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

Have you seen that 11 "different " blues that BMW has dropped over the last 2 years ??

Mineral Grey was dropped because it is very close to black and it also had a low take rate.

I'm sure that BMW will find a way to make a different silver variation, and probably also somehow miss the mark on making a classic silver.

Ideally I would like HS to be a light silver but you can't trust BMW since Silverstone
Appreciate 1
MrYLT146.50
      11-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #1576
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Have you seen that 11 "different " blues that BMW has dropped over the last 2 years ??

Mineral Grey was dropped because it is very close to black and it also had a low take rate.

I'm sure that BMW will find a way to make a different silver variation, and probably also somehow miss the mark on making a classic silver.

Ideally I would like HS to be a light silver but you can't trust BMW since Silverstone

Low take rate? 17.9% of pre lci's were MG it beat BSM which had a 17.3% take rate... And MG gets cut??? It wasn't even lacking behind AW by a lot most people just wanted LBB.
      11-30-2017, 01:08 PM   #1577
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:

No.... Any colour but a boring silver...

https://jalopnik.com/silver-is-the-n...f-e-1796939099
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #1578
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Low take rate? 17.9% of pre lci's were MG it beat BSM which had a 17.3% take rate... And MG gets cut??? It wasn't even lacking behind AW by a lot most people just wanted LBB.

Don't shoot the messenger bro.

Two of the four colors had the lowest take rate.

The Leipzig plant is capable of carrying 24 colors in their paint booth. Typically many of the colors are applied to many different models that are produced in the same plant. For example the X1 i own was also available in Valencia Orange alike the 1M.

So... when BMW decided to remove a color ..
Which of the two colors do you think BMW is gonna remove ? :

Dark gray that looks like black , or black ?

Keep in mind that the 1M came in 3 colors.
Orange , white and black and the M2 had an additional color with MG, a new color in LBB and orange was removed.

Now .. with the Comp version orange has been added back to the options list and silver replaces MG.

If you are an MG fan then you should be buying (while cars remain available ) instead of whining.
Appreciate 1
gnx759.50
      12-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #1579
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Quote:
If you are an MG fan then you should be buying (while cars remain available ) instead of whining.
The problem with this suggestion is that it's exclusionary to the shoppers, like me, who specifically want the S55 engine in a mineral gray body.

Considering the figures stated above, where the take rate is apparently higher than black sapphire metallic, this is specifically what is so frustrating to us. On the surface (from a consumer perspective), it appears to be an arbitrary restriction rather than "we are phasing out MG across our product line at this plant that year"

Gray != Black.

You can't have everything, I suppose.
Appreciate 2
//M243.00
      12-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #1580
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The Leipzig plant is capable of carrying 24 colors in their paint booth. Typically many of the colors are applied to many different models that are produced in the same plant. For example the X1 i own was also available in Valencia Orange alike the 1M.

Orange , white and black and the M2 had an additional color with MG, a new color in LBB and orange was removed.

Now .. with the Comp version orange has been added back to the options list and silver replaces MG.

Not whining but thanks for your opinion mate. I know what I want, if none of colors make me happy I can always wrap the car instead of xpel and ceramic coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
The problem with this suggestion is that it's exclusionary to the shoppers, like me, who specifically want the S55 engine in a mineral gray body.

Considering the figures stated above, where the take rate is apparently higher than black sapphire metallic, this is specifically what is so frustrating to us. On the surface (from a consumer perspective), it appears to be an arbitrary restriction rather than "we are phasing out MG across our product line at this plant that year"

Gray != Black.

You can't have everything, I suppose.
This guy gets it. Thanks.
      12-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #1581
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not whining but thanks for your opinion mate. I know what I want, if none of colors make me happy I can always wrap the car instead of xpel and ceramic coating.
To you and @bitcore. Believe me I grok

for the record I'm a big fan of MG myself. BSM is my first choice and MG would be second. I've long recommended MG to buyers on the fence between it and say, LBB because it is a color that in 10 years I think will be sought for, simply because it is rare.

The E30 M3 has rabid Henna fans.
The E36 M3 has fans of both Violets.
The E46 M3 has rabid fans of Laguna Seca Blue.

I believe the same will be true of MG with the M2.

However, if Hockenheim silver is a true silver like Sterling silver on the E30 M3 or even the Silver Gray which I believe was on the E46 M3 CSL I am sure that it will be very popular.

I'm sure that BMW AG realizes that most people are fans of the car itself more than the color.. and will make a choice among the available colors.

DIE-HARD MG fans will have to see if the new silver is acceptable, buy an 16-18, or wrap a 2019-20 car.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #1582
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Although the leaked VINs don't reveal any MG cars, we don't have any official word that MG has been dropped. We don't have access to the full list of cars that are and will be built prior to reveal. Also, every BMW color that I know of which is grey has "grey" in it's name. Hockenheim Silver's name suggests it's not a grey, but rather a silver. So I don't see HS as a MG replacement. It's either an additional color for the M2 while keeping all existing colors, or a new one while some others color/s are dropped. We simply don't know and this is all conjecture until the BMW Gods say otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #1583
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Although the leaked VINs don't reveal any MG cars, we don't have any official word that MG has been dropped. We don't have access to the full list of cars that are and will be built prior to reveal. Also, every BMW color that I know of which is grey has "grey" in it's name. Hockenheim Silver's name suggests it's not a grey, but rather a silver. So I don't see HS as a MG replacement. It's either an additional color for the M2 while keeping all existing colors, or a new one while some others color/s are dropped. We simply don't know and this is all conjecture until the BMW Gods say otherwise.
As commented before (see here), none of the 'M2 Competition' test mules got the Mineral Grey body color. Likely an omen.

But don't give up hope: also recently, press mentioned MG as body color for the M2 Competition (see for example here and here).
      12-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #1584
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
As commented before (see here), none of the 'M2 Competition' test mules got the Mineral Grey body color. Likely an omen.

But don't give up hope: also recently, press mentioned MG as body color for the M2 Competition (see for example here and here).
As always, our resident forum savior reminds us that hope is what keeps dreams alive.
Appreciate 0