11-03-2016, 07:06 AM   #23
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Passat R36

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
comfort - soft shifts, very conservative on downshifts, quiet, light steering weight, stability fully on

sport - hard shifts (depeneds on how much gas you're giving it), more eager to downshift and hold revs, loud, heavy steering weight, and stability still fully on

sport+ - same as sport, only stability control gives you some wiggle room to slide and stuff before it kicks in and tries to sraighten you out. in this mode you can get the back to step out a little. if you let it step out too far it'll kick the abs in to jerk it back into line

in the normal three modes, stability is always on to some degree to keep your car in check
Perfect summary. Thanks for that.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #24
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
comfort - soft shifts, very conservative on downshifts, quiet, light steering weight, stability fully on

sport - hard shifts (depends on how much gas you're giving it), more eager to downshift and hold revs, loud, heavy steering weight, and stability still fully on

sport+ - same as sport, only stability control gives you some wiggle room to slide and stuff before it kicks in and tries to straighten you out. in this mode you can get the back to step out a little. if you let it step out too far it'll kick the abs in to jerk it back into line

in the normal three modes, stability is always on to some degree to keep your car in check
For me, Sport+ holds the revs much longer than Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #25
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

When doing D mode, I like comfort shifting and sport throttle, it's just bugging me that I cannot customize that combo.
      11-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #26
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M View Post
Not true, most burbles come on "Traction mode" which is activated by a quick press of the DSC button.
right...what I'm saying is with traction control disabled by holding down the DSC button then it will create the most burbles and pop. By default the car has traction control on. So disabling traction control will create those sounds. In this case I guess its called "traction mode" meaning there is no traction control? Or is this the other way around where in "traction mode" it actually creates more traction control which is the safest setting you can put the car in?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #27
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHOI View Post
right...what I'm saying is with traction control disabled by holding down the DSC button then it will create the most burbles and pop. By default the car has traction control on. So disabling traction control will create those sounds. In this case I guess its called "traction mode" meaning there is no traction control? Or is this the other way around where in "traction mode" it actually creates more traction control which is the safest setting you can put the car in?
A quick press of the DSC button does not disable traction control. It puts the car in 'Traction Mode' which allows for more traction since it delays the intervention of the control system (ie. wheels are spinning in snow and control cuts power too soon).

The burbles and pops are just a plus.
Appreciate 2
D CHOI581.00
AndrewC198910949.00
      11-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #28
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
A quick press of the DSC button does not disable traction control. It puts the car in 'Traction Mode' which allows for more traction since it delays the intervention of the control system (ie. wheels are spinning in snow and control cuts power too soon).

So what about holding down the DSC button disabling traction control totally. Does that cause any changes in term of sound?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #29
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHOI View Post
Quote:

So what about holding down the DSC button disabling traction control totally. Does that cause any changes in term of sound?
No idea, I've never tried that without Sport+ on. I'll give it a shot on the way home.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #30
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No idea, I've never tried that without Sport+ on. I'll give it a shot on the way home.
I should start using the term "stability control" instead of traction to not interfere with traction mode. That's how it got confusing for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #31
z3lai
Rep
Drives: M2, Speciale, C63 BS

Is pressing the DSC button once equals to MDM mode?
When the car is in sport mode, it instantly go back to comfort whenever i press the DSC once,is that normal?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #32
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:

Throttle response: revs normal and boring, don't use this mode.

sport - hard shifts (depeneds on how much gas you're giving it), more eager to downshift and hold revs, loud, heavy steering weight, and stability still fully on

Throttle response: Revs rpms a bit higher, still too close to comfort mode for me.

sport+ - same as sport, only stability control gives you some wiggle room to slide and stuff before it kicks in and tries to sraighten you out. in this mode you can get the back to step out a little. if you let it step out too far it'll kick the abs in to jerk it back into line

Throttle response: Aggressive, revs rpms high, best mode to drive
Forgot to add throttle response which is one of the main differences in the modes for me, updated post.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #33
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3lai View Post
Is pressing the DSC button once equals to MDM mode?
When the car is in sport mode, it instantly go back to comfort whenever i press the DSC once,is that normal?
Yes and yes.

I'm still getting used to all the modes. One thing I don't understand is when in comfort mode if you accelerate briskly away from a set of lights and then lift off the gas, the car holds the gear.
It's comfort mode, why not shift up to the highest gear. Instead I have to tap the accelerator gently to tell the car to shift.
In these instances I found PDK to be more in tune with what a driver is doing.
Often in the M2 I'm manually shifting.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #34
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
Forgot to add throttle response which is one of the main differences in the modes for me, updated post.
True! Totally forgot that. I'll update my original post when I'm not in a mobile browser.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #35
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I feel like the most important difference between the 5 modes is actually the way traction and stability controls work. Throttle and steering do not change that much compared to other cars I've owned/driven.

- Comfort: all nannies on.
- Sport: a bit more permissive than Comfort in terms of stability and traction.
- Traction Mode and Sport+: both more permissive that Sport in terms of stability and traction.
- Traction Mode: less permissive than Sport+ in terms of stability.
- Sport+: less permissive than Traction Mode in terms of traction.
- ESP-OFF: traction and stability controls are both off.

This is my opinion formed from my experience with the car.

PS: Traction mode should better be called "Cars and Coffee Mode" or "Mustang Mode"
      11-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #36
///M²
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I feel like the most important difference between the 5 modes is actually the way traction and stability controls work. Throttle and steering do not change that much compared to other cars I've owned/driven.

- Traction Mode and Sport+: both more permissive that Sport in terms of stability and traction.

PS: Traction mode should better be called "Cars and Coffee Mode" or "Mustang Mode"
Traction setting already has a name, M Dynamic Mode, FYI
      11-15-2016, 02:16 AM   #37
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

After reading all these posts about throttle response and DCT gear changes, I am sooo glad I've ordered a manual and will be able to change gear exactly when I want and select exactly the gear I want. Superior smirk.....
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI717.50
      11-15-2016, 06:24 AM   #38
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
After reading all these posts about throttle response and DCT gear changes, I am sooo glad I've ordered a manual and will be able to change gear exactly when I want and select exactly the gear I want. Superior smirk.....
If only you could kill, rev matching within the modes with a manual...

MR
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #39
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Huh. My DCT car came with two paddles behind the steering wheel. The left one appears to select a lower gear, and the right-hand one a higher gear. Both work whenever I want.

When I first put the car in gear, I get this weird "D" before the gear number. Anybody know that that means? It appears I can turn it off by either hitting one of the paddles, or the shift lever.
Appreciate 4
J.M263.50
BMWM5NYC502.00
      11-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #40
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh View Post
Huh. My DCT car came with two paddles behind the steering wheel. The left one appears to select a lower gear, and the right-hand one a higher gear. Both work whenever I want.

When I first put the car in gear, I get this weird "D" before the gear number. Anybody know that that means? It appears I can turn it off by either hitting one of the paddles, or the shift lever.
I also get the strange D but I discovered rather quickly that if you pull one of the paddles it goes away and never comes back again
      11-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #41
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04A6 2.7T(DD), 16M2 BSM MT EP

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGDavey View Post

After purchasing my M2 in April I finally gave it a full throttle burst.

After pushing my pedal to the metal I could feel the resistance giving the engine full boost but could not feel the 500 nm of torque dial in

I mainly drive in comfort mode and after switching in Sport+ mode all that seemed to happen is an increase in the rev range but I can't feel any more power on full throttle in comfort in comparison to Sport + mode. How about you Guys
Hmmm. I am still at 1K miles and just had breakin service done with new rear diff swapped so I can't really open her up for another several hundred miles.

Agree with your observations on full throttle!

Prior to the diff swap I do admit to a couple of WOT runs and my butt dino, granted subjective, wasn't impressed! I guess I was expecting more.

Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #42
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:

Paddles eh ? That must be the tsunami model so you can paddle yourself out of trouble. I bet you have a big tsunami risk in Colorado after all. As for the D that must be the diesel version.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #43
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
Quote:
Paddles eh ? That must be the tsunami model so you can paddle yourself out of trouble. I bet you have a big tsunami risk in Colorado after all. As for the D that must be the diesel version.
I prefer to 'work the box' oldskool style, feeling more mechanically involved/connected, instead of some fingertip clicks sending electronic signals. But that's another debate.
Destroya371.00
SoCalRob281.00
      11-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #44
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Sorry Noob question and confused.

Have not taken delivery yet, just doing some reading on the driving modes. Just remember the attached chart. So MDM mode is activated by pressing the DTC button correct? From just above the chart in the manual it says:

"The following states can be additionally activated by the DTC button:

DSC on
DTC on (M dynamic mode on) • DSC off
"

So can MDM mode be activated on any drive setting (comfort/sport/sport+)?
I read earlier that if you put in MDM mode, it will automatically switch back to comfort. So does that mean MDM mode is always Comfort drive mode?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910949.00