BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > It's official: (Lap times) TT RS faster than M2, M4 and M6.

04-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #199
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Thanks guys...

Corolla is built to SCCA IT class rules, so the motor is mostly stock, just carefuly built. .040 over pistons, match ported, balanced, timed cams, blueprinted injectors, header etc. it probably doesn't make more than 140hp, but with the weight of it, it barely has to slow down for the corners on the race track.

R8 V8 is nothing special in terms of speed, but still a very special car.

The LS400 is a 91' LS shell, with 95' front calipers and my own custom wave rotors, my own design coilovers with Bilstein shocks, My own custom exhaust (side exit), SC300 Diff housing and R&P (better design and gear ratio), Supra TT Torsen T2 diff and 99 GS engine/trans/ABS (VVT, 50 more TQ/HP, better trans with flappy paddles). This is for the "24 hrs of Lemons" race series. Its 3,000lb, and is way faster and better handling than I thought possible. Its as fast as anything in the series, and will out corner and out brake pretty much anything. We typically blow by 3-4 cars under braking into every corner, often passing on the outside (its fun to see the reaction from the Miata and E30 guys) and can do that for 24hrs straight. Funny part is, I'm confident it would easily run with a stock M2 on track and even fully race prepped, I have under $5k in it (only paid $350 for the car to start with). The first picture is from "Car and Driver" magazine..
Attached Images

Last edited by Spinnetti; 04-16-2017 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
nd2002178.50
      04-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #200
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

My ideal car is taking shape. The new M4 CS has OLED taillights.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #201
AndyinHou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2023 M2 BG O.T.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post
My ideal car is taking shape. The new M4 CS has OLED taillights.
And probably a price tag north of $90k...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #202
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinHou View Post
And probably a price tag north of $90k...
Actually I saw 114k on the BMW Blog.

M2 won't be the same though.

I just hope they remove the ugly exposed CF, wouldn't enjoy paying 1-2k for that job. I am really curious to see how it turns out, as well as the Gran Coupe.

Hope it sounds good too!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #203
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For those that care:

TT RS wrecking tuned AMG A45:

TT RS - oil slip almost caused crash?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #204
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
The LS400 is a 91' LS shell, with 95' front calipers and my own custom wave rotors, my own design coilovers with Bilstein shocks, My own custom exhaust (side exit), SC300 Diff housing and R&P (better design and gear ratio), Supra TT Torsen T2 diff and 99 GS engine/trans/ABS (VVT, 50 more TQ/HP, better trans with flappy paddles). This is for the "24 hrs of Lemons" race series. Its 3,000lb, and is way faster and better handling than I thought possible. Its as fast as anything in the series, and will out corner and out brake pretty much anything. We typically blow by 3-4 cars under braking into every corner, often passing on the outside (its fun to see the reaction from the Miata and E30 guys) and can do that for 24hrs straight. Funny part is, I'm confident it would easily run with a stock M2 on track and even fully race prepped, I have under $5k in it (only paid $350 for the car to start with). The first picture is from "Car and Driver" magazine..
Effing epic. I would love to get my way into a Lemons team somehow, but due to size (6'4" / 285lbs - makes it hard to share the car with others unless they are also giant like me) and lack of skill, I don't see that ever happening.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #205
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
FWIW, that second video is an 8J / Mk2 TTRS. Surprised it got as sideways as it did, although if they abruptly lifted throttle, they do love to exhibit lift-throttle oversteer under the right conditions.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 09:43 AM   #206
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
FWIW, that second video is an 8J / Mk2 TTRS. Surprised it got as sideways as it did, although if they abruptly lifted throttle, they do love to exhibit lift-throttle oversteer under the right conditions.
So you can drift by de-accelerating in a corner?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #207
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure about drift, but definitely can reduce understeer with sudden lifts to move weight off the back wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #208
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
Not sure about drift, but definitely can reduce understeer with sudden lifts to move weight off the back wheels.
True, but know the car you are doing that in, or you will find yourself spinning in the weeds in a blink of an eye

Understeer can turn into wicked snap-throttle oversteer in a flash in some cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #209
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
True, but know the car you are doing that in, or you will find yourself spinning in the weeds in a blink of an eye

Understeer can turn into wicked snap-throttle oversteer in a flash in some cars.
Yes Had an Audi, so had to find ways to coax it to turn. Certainly not talking about foot completely off... I never had to go beyond maintenance throttle levels. But it does need to be sudden (but also smooth) enough that it upsets the car a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #210
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Prelude: New article from EVO: M2 vs TT RS vs Cayman S

"(The M2's)...dampers soon get switched back from Sport to Normal – they’re far too stiff for these roads, and even in Comfort the M2 can pogo – but I still long for the engine to have more energy higher up the rev band and to not make a monotone grrrr whatever it’s doing…

After the M2, the Audi is a revelation. There’s little to signpost its impending ability other than ‘fast’ steering, which initially feels like a ruse to disguise a lot of engine in the nose. It’s not. The TT RS gets better the harder you drive it."

TT RS
0-62 MPH: 3.5
1/4 mile: 11.6
Circ. de Nevers Magny-Cours Club ---1:22.60
Contidrom (3.63 km) ----------------- 1:36.20
Contidrom (3.8 km) -------------------1:32.78
Sachsenring --------------------------- 1:37.53

M2
0-62 MPH: 4.2
1/4 mile: 12.5
Circ. de Nevers Magny-Cours Club ---1:23.50
Contidrom (3.63 km) ------------------1:38.40
Sachsenring ----------------------------1:37.65

M4
0-62 MPH: 4.0
1/4 mile: 12.0
Circ. de Nevers Magny-Cours Club ----1:23.72
Contidrom (3.8 km) -------------------1:33.60
Sachsenring -----------------------------1:37.22

M6
0-62 MPH: 3.9
1/4 mile: 11.8
Sachsenring -----------------------------1:37.67

"The little orange Porsche’s flat-four thumps coarsely at idle from just behind my kidneys. For once, I am oblivious to it. I am completely transfixed by an Audi TT seemingly heading for a massive accident. Up ahead, road test editor Dan Prosser is getting the new TT RS out of shape for Dean Smith’s camera on the far hairpin of Bedford Autodrome’s West Circuit. The TT dives aggressively into the corner then pitches nose up as Dan gets committed with the throttle, markedly gaining speed in the process. Suddenly the tail yaws to the side, by perhaps 25 degrees but no more, and then it stays locked onto that drift angle, still gaining speed, the front wheels almost straight, the rears spinning up, engine howling. However, there is no accident: this is just what the new TT RS does under power. Already I get the distinct feeling it may be a TT unlike any other."

Source: http://fastestlaps.com/models/bmw-m4

http://www.evo.co.uk/group-tests/190...yman-vs-bmw-m2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line:

If you regularly use the backseats, get the M2, hands down. It is a good all-rounder.

If you have the money and appreciate luxury interiors and creature comforts, plus really care about your car's soundtrack, get the TT RS.

If you don't need backseats, don't care that much for the soundtrack when compared to the importance of handling, the best of the bunch in that regard is of course the Cayman S.
One thing to remember about the Cayman S (I owned one) is that it has a very upright seating position and the seats do not tilt back far enough making driving position a bit uncomfortable for long drives especially if you are over 6 feet tall. If one needs a car for long distance drives and sits in Los Angeles traffic often then the M2 or Audi RS would be a better option.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #211
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
One thing to remember about the Cayman S (I owned one) is that it has a very upright seating position and the seats do not tilt back far enough making driving position a bit uncomfortable for long drives especially if you are over 6 feet tall. If one needs a car for long distance drives and sits in Los Angeles traffic often then the M2 or Audi RS would be a better option.
Good to know. I would figure the Porsche has a stiffer ride than the M2?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 09:53 PM   #212
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Was driving around tonight, it's raining and you can't see crap. Even in comfort mode, any pothole I took with the 435i felt truly horrible.

Why is this? Ride is too low? What's a nice plan B - the funnest you can have in a car that when it takes a pothole, doesn't feel like its tearing up the undercarriage?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 10:30 PM   #213
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Was driving around tonight, it's raining and you can't see crap. Even in comfort mode, any pothole I took with the 435i felt truly horrible.

Why is this? Ride is too low? What's a nice plan B - the funnest you can have in a car that when it takes a pothole, doesn't feel like its tearing up the undercarriage?
Plan B is to to buy an SUV.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 11:09 PM   #214
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Not really de-accelerating, just lifting off the throttle very quickly after having been in it fairly deep.

You can get the back loose on a TT (any Haldex AWD nose-heavy car, basically) by abruptly coming off the gas. It will allow you to correct your line / help induce a turn a bit better. Because the car is so nose heavy, it will tend to naturally go back to understeering, especially once you start applying throttle again (the AWD system will help with this too).
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #215
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
Plan B is to to buy an SUV.
Is that fun? For example the Macan? An X6 M?

I wonder how low the TT RS with magnetic suspension feels when it takes a pothole.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #216
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Not really de-accelerating, just lifting off the throttle very quickly after having been in it fairly deep.

You can get the back loose on a TT (any Haldex AWD nose-heavy car, basically) by abruptly coming off the gas. It will allow you to correct your line / help induce a turn a bit better. Because the car is so nose heavy, it will tend to naturally go back to understeering, especially once you start applying throttle again (the AWD system will help with this too).
that's actually just as fun as tail sliding a rear driver, just harder to do. Was fun in my A4 (plenty of excess power, bigger rear bar, coilovers etc), fun in my Jetta (big fat rear sway bar/springs) and hard to do in my Beetle (also big rear bar/springs but it doesn't rotate as well).
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #217
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
Quote:

that's actually just as fun as tail sliding a rear driver, just harder to do. Was fun in my A4 (plenty of excess power, bigger rear bar, coilovers etc), fun in my Jetta (big fat rear sway bar/springs) and hard to do in my Beetle (also big rear bar/springs but it doesn't rotate as well).
Yup, I did it every chance I got when I figured it out! Lot of fun, low risk on AWD cars!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #218
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Is that fun? For example the Macan? An X6 M?

I wonder how low the TT RS with magnetic suspension feels when it takes a pothole.
Ride height doesn't necessarily have a lot to do with it. You want more tire sidewall to help absorb the bumps, and softer suspension. Any car setup for sporty handling is generally going to be a stiffer ride and you'll feel bumps and potholes more.

The magnetic ride in my (Mk2) TTRS is smoother over crap roads than my non-magnetic 2008 VW was, and far smoother than my brother's non-magnetic 2016 WRX... and the TT has less sidewall / larger diameter rims than either of those cars too. It's amazing tech.

The beauty of MagneRide (the proper trade name for the system used in the TT; it's developed by Delphi Automotive) is that it allows them to use softer springs, and generate suspensional stiffness through the shocks alone. Normally to get a stiffer / flatter ride you need higher rate springs; conventional "adjustable" suspension can allow you to mildly tweak the response, but you can only slacken up a hydraulic pressurized shock so much. The valves inside these systems are also prone to failure over time; no such valves exist in magnetorheological shocks/struts.

One press on the magic button stiffens it immensely (on the Mk2 TTRS there's no fancy customizable settings or anything, it is just normal and "sport" which is the stiff mode).

I wish other manufacturers would jump onboard with this tech. It's one of the things GM has gotten very very correct lately. (Yes, GM did it first, Ferrari either licensed it or is buying through Delphi...)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #219
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ride height doesn't necessarily have a lot to do with it. You want more tire sidewall to help absorb the bumps, and softer suspension. Any car setup for sporty handling is generally going to be a stiffer ride and you'll feel bumps and potholes more.

The magnetic ride in my (Mk2) TTRS is smoother over crap roads than my non-magnetic 2008 VW was, and far smoother than my brother's non-magnetic 2016 WRX... and the TT has less sidewall / larger diameter rims than either of those cars too. It's amazing tech.

The beauty of MagneRide (the proper trade name for the system used in the TT; it's developed by Delphi Automotive) is that it allows them to use softer springs, and generate suspensional stiffness through the shocks alone. Normally to get a stiffer / flatter ride you need higher rate springs; conventional "adjustable" suspension can allow you to mildly tweak the response, but you can only slacken up a hydraulic pressurized shock so much. The valves inside these systems are also prone to failure over time; no such valves exist in magnetorheological shocks/struts.

One press on the magic button stiffens it immensely (on the Mk2 TTRS there's no fancy customizable settings or anything, it is just normal and "sport" which is the stiff mode).

I wish other manufacturers would jump onboard with this tech. It's one of the things GM has gotten very very correct lately. (Yes, GM did it first, Ferrari either licensed it or is buying through Delphi...)
Sounds cool.

There has only been 1 TT RS before though, are you supoosed to say MKII?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 10:45 PM   #220
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
It's based on the Mk2 TT body, so it's a Mk2 TTRS.

To get more specific you can call it the 8J TTRS, 8J being the internal Audi model code for the Mk2 TT. (I think the Mk3 TT is the 8S)
Appreciate 0