Keep the M340i 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

05-03-2023, 04:20 PM   #1
DiuDiuDiuDiuDiu
Rep
Drives: M340i

Hoping to trade in my M340i for an M2

Background:
Ever since I traded in my first car (a manual Volkswagen Jetta), I have been longing for the thrilling experience and engagement that comes with a manual transmission. Last year I bought a M340i Rwd because I thought it was the best balance between comfort and sportiness that BMW offers, but turns out I am a lunatic who craves for pure driving pleasure and engagement.

Now that the car prices are starting to come down, I am starting to see a few opportunities to trade mine in for an M2 comp: there are two 2020 M2 comps on the market near me, one of them is listed for $61k at 14k miles, while the other is listed for $51k at 59k miles; I am leaning more toward the first option.

Reasoning:
I'd really like to get in a manual car before they disappear; now seems like a good time because the platforms that carries manual transmissions are still fairly current and there are still quite a few with lower miles.

Question 1: should I wait a bit longer until supply increases when more folks take deliveries of their G87s? As much as I want the car right now, I would like to get some second opinions

Question 2: Given that these are '20 models and they are running out of warranties soon, should I be purchasing additional warranties?

Question 3: I have the ultimate care +1 on my M340i so the past maintenance has been free, and will continue to be free for the next three years; that has spoiled me quite a bit. Suppose I take the M2 with 14k miles, and I drive 10k miles per year, is there a rough estimate on how much the total maintenance cost will be for the next 3 years or so?

Really look forward to hearing your thoughts.
-Max
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 04:26 PM   #2
DiuDiuDiuDiuDiu
Rep

Apolgies, just realized I posted on the wrong thread Let me post in the M2C discussions.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 04:32 PM   #3
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiuDiuDiuDiuDiu View Post
Background:
Ever since I traded in my first car (a manual Volkswagen Jetta), I have been longing for the thrilling experience and engagement that comes with a manual transmission. Last year I bought a M340i Rwd because I thought it was the best balance between comfort and sportiness that BMW offers, but turns out I am a lunatic who craves for pure driving pleasure and engagement.

Now that the car prices are starting to come down, I am starting to see a few opportunities to trade mine in for an M2 comp: there are two 2020 M2 comps on the market near me, one of them is listed for $61k at 14k miles, while the other is listed for $51k at 59k miles; I am leaning more toward the first option.

Reasoning:
I'd really like to get in a manual car before they disappear; now seems like a good time because the platforms that carries manual transmissions are still fairly current and there are still quite a few with lower miles.

Question 1: should I wait a bit longer until supply increases when more folks take deliveries of their G87s? As much as I want the car right now, I would like to get some second opinions

Question 2: Given that these are '20 models and they are running out of warranties soon, should I be purchasing additional warranties?

Question 3: I have the ultimate care +1 on my M340i so the past maintenance has been free, and will continue to be free for the next three years; that has spoiled me quite a bit. Suppose I take the M2 with 14k miles, and I drive 10k miles per year, is there a rough estimate on how much the total maintenance cost will be for the next 3 years or so?

Really look forward to hearing your thoughts.
-Max
#1 - this is always overhyped, it never leads to significant supply increases or price decreases even on BMW models with much larger bases than the M2. If you find the car that suits you, buy it.

#2 - This is a bit of a personal question...I'm not in favor of warranties. The S55 with the manual is an extremely reliable combo. You'll read about crank hub issues on modded cars (which I think is blown way out of proportion) and that's really it. These cars are stout.

#3 - I'm a fan of the maintenance warranties under certain conditions. IF the spark plugs have not been done, the Ultimate Care warranty is a no brainer as it covers that cost and then some. The other advantage is it ensures that you'll take the vehicle to the dealer more often, which means better service history. As far as out of pocket maintenance costs (outside of spark plugs), figure $500-1k per year depending on how much you drive. Probably the biggest reoccurring cost will be tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 10:53 PM   #4
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

$61k for a 2020 m2c with 14k is super overpriced. I would not do that. Worth closer to 54-55k.

I would wait for a better deal, and not worry so much about the warranty.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 10:32 AM   #5
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

The 2020 M2C was $61k new. Buying it 3 years old at zero depreciation is fine if you are ok with being the one taking the big swing in depreciation later but if that’s a concern, hard pass. In a normal market, that car should be $45k by now (which is still great value being held, but realistic). I

I’m looking hard at a used M2C myself but if the asking prices stay at their new car values, I’ll move on to something else, perhaps a new M2 as an option. A few k more, new warranty, no miles, no previous potentially bad history, S58, manual, newer tech, better seats, etc. Still love the F87 looks more but not enough to overlook everything else you’re losing.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 10:39 AM   #6
DiuDiuDiuDiuDiu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
The 2020 M2C was $61k new. Buying it 3 years old at zero depreciation is fine if you are ok with being the one taking the big swing in depreciation later but if that’s a concern, hard pass. In a normal market, that car should be $45k by now (which is still great value being held, but realistic). I

I’m looking hard at a used M2C myself but if the asking prices stay at their new car values, I’ll move on to something else, perhaps a new M2 as an option. A few k more, new warranty, no miles, no previous potentially bad history, S58, manual, newer tech, better seats, etc. Still love the F87 looks more but not enough to overlook everything else you’re losing.
Hard agree! I'm keep monitoring this market
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 10:40 AM   #7
DiuDiuDiuDiuDiu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcouchh View Post
$61k for a 2020 m2c with 14k is super overpriced. I would not do that. Worth closer to 54-55k.

I would wait for a better deal, and not worry so much about the warranty.
Yeah, it's really weird that they still are selling close-to/above MSRP at this point
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 11:03 AM   #8
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiuDiuDiuDiuDiu View Post
Yeah, it's really weird that they still are selling close-to/above MSRP at this point
They’re not getting MSRP or over anymore. Sounds like a dealership is selling at that price.

I just sold my 2019 with 20k miles for 54, and it took a few months to get that. Granted that’s still close to msrp but they were selling for mid 60’s a year ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 12:57 PM   #9
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Just keep in mind BMW manuals are not that engaging. IMO the autos are better, so if that is a significant reason for the switch consider it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 03:20 PM   #10
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

Autosolutions SSK solves all BMW manual problems. Highly, HIGHLY recommended. The kit has made the 6mt experience in my OG M2 absolutely divine. Positive, bolt action rifle like clicks. Feels great.
Appreciate 2