BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Active Autowerke N55 / M2 Catted DP and Stage 2 Tune

05-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Nov-18 LCI / AW / 6MT

When I started modding the car, it was with the intentions of being able to keep up with the M4, but during my process, the M2C was born, thus creating a need to be faster than the competition

The stock M2 was quick, agile and fun, but I just knew the car could handle more. (As a relative noob, the real question is whether I could handle more!) Luckily I live close to Active Autowerke and have spent the past 6 months slowly modding the car. I started with the charge pipe and intercooler, then the intake, and just recently added the CDP and Tune. The guys at AA have been an absolute pleasure to work with, and I trust them implicitly with my car.

Mods:

AA FMIC
AA CP
AA Catted DP
Dinan CF Intake
AA Stage 2 Tune
AA Matte Black exhaust tips

Admittedly, I have yet to do any type of official testing (ie, Dyno), but AA has so I'm guesstimating the car is running about ~440hp at the crank, so +/- 375whp.

I was lucky enough to get Active Autowerke's prototype catted downpipe after they had finished all their testing. I went with a catted DP for a couple reasons. First, I get headaches easily, so I didn't want to be dealing with more fumes, and secondly, I'd like to think I care about the environment. And after a couple hundred miles, no issues with a CEL.

As you can see in the pictures, the size of the stock cat vs the AA CDP is significantly larger. For actual specs on the CDP, please ask the AA crew.

The tuned car has an entirely different attitude. It's extremely aggressive relative to stock. I don't ever bother with the Sport setting anymore, I'm either in Comfort or S+.

Comfort mode is delightful. The car has the aggressive rumble to it, without being obnoxious. It picks up very quickly when needed. It's by no means sluggish like it is in stock form.

Sport+: Hold your horses, Roy Rogers! It's loud, aggressive, and most importantly, significantly faster than stock in every gear. While there are a few more mods I can do (bigger turbo, exhaust, fuel pump, etc), the idea of adding any more power to the car seems ludicrous. I feel like I've hit the sweet spot, and IMO, it's perfect. There's still occasional turbo lag, but I blame myself for not always shifting at the right times.

All in all, I highly recommend Active Autowerke's product and service. I'm not here to shill, just a very happy customer.

Much thanks to Andrew, David, Robb and Nick from AA. If you have any technical questions about the stage 2 tune, or catted dp, please post in this thread or shoot them a PM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
ceedawg467.50
      05-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Holding for future updates.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
ICantDrive4Sht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

PLEASE post some dragy times, dyno numbers anything.
Did you happen to dyno your car stock?
I'm just about to pull the trigger on AA Exhaust and their tune.

Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      05-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
Nov-18 LCI / AW / 6MT

When I started modding the car, it was with the intentions of being able to keep up with the M4, but during my process, the M2C was born, thus creating a need to be faster than the competition

The stock M2 was quick, agile and fun, but I just knew the car could handle more. (As a relative noob, the real question is whether I could handle more!) Luckily I live close to Active Autowerke and have spent the past 6 months slowly modding the car. I started with the charge pipe and intercooler, then the intake, and just recently added the CDP and Tune. The guys at AA have been an absolute pleasure to work with, and I trust them implicitly with my car.

Mods:

AA FMIC
AA CP
AA Catted DP
Dinan CF Intake
AA Stage 2 Tune
AA Matte Black exhaust tips

Admittedly, I have yet to do any type of official testing (ie, Dyno), but AA has so I'm guesstimating the car is running about ~440hp at the crank, so +/- 375whp.

I was lucky enough to get Active Autowerke's prototype catted downpipe after they had finished all their testing. I went with a catted DP for a couple reasons. First, I get headaches easily, so I didn't want to be dealing with more fumes, and secondly, I'd like to think I care about the environment. And after a couple hundred miles, no issues with a CEL.

As you can see in the pictures, the size of the stock cat vs the AA CDP is significantly larger. For actual specs on the CDP, please ask the AA crew.

The tuned car has an entirely different attitude. It's extremely aggressive relative to stock. I don't ever bother with the Sport setting anymore, I'm either in Comfort or S+.

Comfort mode is delightful. The car has the aggressive rumble to it, without being obnoxious. It picks up very quickly when needed. It's by no means sluggish like it is in stock form.

Sport+: Hold your horses, Roy Rogers! It's loud, aggressive, and most importantly, significantly faster than stock in every gear. While there are a few more mods I can do (bigger turbo, exhaust, fuel pump, etc), the idea of adding any more power to the car seems ludicrous. I feel like I've hit the sweet spot, and IMO, it's perfect. There's still occasional turbo lag, but I blame myself for not always shifting at the right times.

All in all, I highly recommend Active Autowerke's product and service. I'm not here to shill, just a very happy customer.

Much thanks to Andrew, David, Robb and Nick from AA. If you have any technical questions about the stage 2 tune, or catted dp, please post in this thread or shoot them a PM.
Wow thanks this is great news! Been wondering if they were going to finish their new cat. Think I will link this in the F30 335i 3 series forum . We who have the AA tune over there will like this thread.
We are still waiting on BMWDIYGUY's results. Any word on their E30 tune?
      05-07-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Wow thanks this is great news! Been wondering if they were going to finish their new cat. Think I will link this in the F30 335i 3 series forum . We who have the AA tune over there will like this thread.
Hold your horses, lol M2 EWG is different than 335/N55 EWG tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6erLover View Post

+1

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Unfortunately I did not Dyno my car stock, but AA has an M2 and they Dyno'd it so we should have a good set of stock reference data points.

I'm planning to Dyno my car soon, so I'll post the data ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Quote:

Quote:

+1
I am for sure not qualified to speak on the 335/N55 vs M2/N55. We'll need professional guidance here.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post

+1

I think he was referring to the catted downpipe, which will fit both cars.

As far as the tune, our M2 file has been finalized for a bit, it is not the most aggressive file but arguably the most consistent for hard driving use. We're currently making changes to the non-m N55 file and there's a pretty active thread on the F30 forum about this.

We do have a dyno of this catted DP versus a stock DP, I'll try and find it and post it up. All of this information will also be available in the official release once the pipes is put in to final production.
Appreciate 1
ceedawg467.50
      05-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #9
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Looking forward

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

I like AA for its creativity in turbo-back design. But this new catted DP is a huge disappointment. Inside and out it's just one more average DP thrown into market to grab some money that everyone else can do.

A proper AA DP should have a 4" inlet and 3.5" outlet and a middle pipe 3.5" in 3" out, to fit stock 3" system. This would be a great alternative for those who dont want to keep stock muffler.

Lastly, HJS core should be the only acceptable cat option.
      05-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #11
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
I like AA for its creativity in turbo-back design. But this new catted DP is a huge disappointment. Inside and out it's just one more average DP thrown into market to grab some money that everyone else can do.

A proper AA DP should have a 4" inlet and 3.5" outlet and a middle pipe 3.5" in 3" out, to fit stock 3" system. This would be a great alternative for those who dont want to keep stock muffler.

Lastly, HJS core should be the only acceptable cat option.
We will be making an option to connect directly to our turbo back system. It will not drop below 3.5". The option posted above is for customers with no intention of changing the exhaust to our turbo back system. If you look closely you'll also see that the pipe that we're using after the cat tapers from 3.5" to 3" very gradually and the portion above it does start at close to 4" where the v-band is.

The cat we are using is a GESI cat that is EPA 49-State certified and is designed to flow extremely well without triggering a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #12
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post
We will be making an option to connect directly to our turbo back system. It will not drop below 3.5". The option posted above is for customers with no intention of changing the exhaust to our turbo back system. If you look closely you'll also see that the pipe that we're using after the cat tapers from 3.5" to 3" very gradually and the portion above it does start at close to 4" where the v-band is.

The cat we are using is a GESI cat that is EPA 49-State certified and is designed to flow extremely well without triggering a CEL.
Did you guys price this DP yet? And what's the latest with the E30 tune?
      05-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you guys price this DP yet? And what's the latest with the E30 tune?
Pricing hasn't been finalized but it will be competitive with the current catted options Nothing final on the E30 tune just yet.
Appreciate 1
ceedawg467.50