BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Comparing the M2 with the M240i

07-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #331
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

My 2c.. The B58 is a better motor hands down with a way higher tuning ceiling. Other than that the decision to purchase an M2 or a 240, if you're financing in particular, is purely emotional. If you're a logical person, you pick the 240. If you want something else and are willing to pay disproportionately more for that, the m2 makes sense.
      07-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #332
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
My 2c.. The B58 is a better motor hands down with a way higher tuning ceiling. Other than that the decision to purchase an M2 or a 240, if you're financing in particular, is purely emotional. If you're a logical person, you pick the 240. If you want something else and are willing to pay disproportionately more for that, the m2 makes sense.
The N55 in the M2 isn't a regular N55 but has parts borrowed from the M3/S55 engine, no?

Why would you think the tuning potential is better on a regular B58 engine?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #333
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
Congrats on the time. Note that my original post said "most people." Most people don't track their cars. Or have track skills. The track IS the place that will show the difference in performance between an M2 and an M235/40. But even those with track skills are unlikely to use the difference in handling between the M2 and M240 on the street as typically you don't get near the limits of adhesion and you pretty much can't get out of third at redline without breaking the law. And in a straight line, the M240 does pretty well vs the M2.

Just saying that there are a lot of good reasons to buy an M2. And that only a small number can and will use that performance differential compared with a M240 by tracking it. I don't think that's a very controversial statement.
Yeah, I mean, I don't mean to be argumentative... More just discussion, because I know we all love cars here... But I think it's a matter of perspective.

I owned a 135i and an E92 M3. While I owned the E92 M3, I made a trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains with my brother-in-law who drives an F80 M3. Here's how I would describe each:

135i - Small and toss-able, reasonably well tied down for the street, but ultimately flopped over at 7/10ths.

E92 M3 - Larger and more stable, but more confidence inspiring, and more progressive in every way (limit, steering feedback, etc).

F80 M3 - So stable it boggles the mind; the front goes where you tell it to, but feedback is less present than the E92; less progressive (limit is more abrupt).

The F80 M3 was easily the fastest of the bunch, and on Blue Ridge B-roads, it was the car you could exploit (drive at 8/10ths) with confidence. My E92 M3 was fun, and the singing V8 was hard to let go of when we'd swap, but the chassis on the E92 felt positively floaty in comparison. Each of the cars had many things to like about them, but they both had one thing in common over the 135i: on any road, and at any time, the feel of the car in your hands was superior to the 135i.

Even when you're just making the right hander in to your driveway, you can feel the difference in an M-car. Do you need it? Absolutely not. Many of us could get by driving used Corollas. Is it justified? That's a much harder question to answer, because it depends upon the person buying the car.

Whether or not you should buy the M2 or the M240i comes down to your individual priorities and preferences. Some people don't care about — or flat-out don't want — the tighter suspension you get with an M-car. You have to drive both and see how it feels. If you're the kind of person who likes tighter handling and better feedback, then unquestionably, the M2 is the car you want. Whether or not it makes financial sense is something you have to figure out on your own.

If you can't swing the M2, don't sweat it. It's not the end of the world, and the M240i is a great car. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for making a sound financial decision. Who the fuck cares about the opinion of someone who would look down on you because of the things you own? Buy the car that is right for you.
Written by someone who tracks the car, driven it at the limits of adhesion, and can really feel the differences. The great majority of people wouldn't know the limits of adhesion until it bit them in the ass. That's something you learn and master but how many people take the time or care? Both the M240 and the M2 are past the capabilities of practically anyone who hasn't had multiply track days. So is a Toyota Corella by the way. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy what you want. An enthusiast doesn't mean a track rat. If these forums show anything it's that there's many ways to be a true enthusiast and more power to each of them. Lots of passion.

But the idea that there is a meaningful performance difference between the M2 and M240 for the vast majority of drivers? Well I don't by it. In fact, in the US, performance is typically straight line speed and the M240 might have an advantage. (Most people could tell a a stiffer suspension because it's bumpier and harsher but think "turn in" is when they leave a chocolate on your pillow in a hotel.)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #334
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieHowser
Quote:
The N55 in the M2 isn't a regular N55 but has parts borrowed from the M3/S55 engine, no?

For sure the b58 has more headroom. The N55 needed those internals to take the abuse at high temps. As it is the turbo is nearly maxed out and the cooling system is strained. B58 addresses that. And since 240s go for less than msrp with lower financing rates, it's compelling.

A quick search of b58 piggyback tunes will show you pretty quick how ridiculous the potential is.
      07-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #335
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Written by someone who tracks the car, driven it at the limits of adhesion, and can really feel the differences. The great majority of people wouldn't know the limits of adhesion until it bit them in the ass. That's something you learn and master but how many people take the time or care? Both the M240 and the M2 are past the capabilities of practically anyone who hasn't had multiply track days. So is a Toyota Corella by the way. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy what you want. An enthusiast doesn't mean a track rat. If these forums show anything it's that there's many ways to be a true enthusiast and more power to each of them. Lots of passion.

But the idea that there is a meaningful performance difference between the M2 and M240 for the vast majority of drivers? Well I don't by it. In fact, in the US, performance is typically straight line speed and the M240 might have an advantage. (Most people could tell a a stiffer suspension because it's bumpier and harsher but think "turn in" is when they leave a chocolate on your pillow in a hotel.)
Yeah, the things I'm talking about aren't about lap time or maximizing performance. It's about how the car feels when you drive it. Even well below the limit, you can feel a difference. Turn-in is a great example. The turn-in on my E92 M3 was much sharper than the 135i, and you could feel it in day-to-day driving. It's that feeling of precision that is always present. For me, it feels better to drive a car like that, even if I never set a lap time, nor come close to the car's limits.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1
SW192478.00
      07-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #336
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Dude, plz. So, by your measure, the M240i is the "logical" choice, and the only reason to buy an M2 is "emotional". That's such bullshit.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      07-11-2017, 02:54 PM   #337
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
Dude, plz. So, by your measure, the M240i is the "logical" choice, and the only reason to buy an M2 is "emotional". That's such bullshit.
It offers 9/10ths of the performance for like 7/10ths of the price, financing considered, looks aside. So you have to really really want an M2 and be less interested in easy power gains to buy an M2.
      07-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #338
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
It offers 9/10ths of the performance for like 7/10ths of the price, financing considered, looks aside. So you have to really really want an M2 and be less interested in easy power gains to buy an M2.
I plan to track my M2, it is replacing my current track vehicle.

Looked at the M240 and test drove one. Very capable car. Have never driven the M2. I chose the M2 because it plain looked better and the price delta was negligible comparably equipped.
Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      07-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #339
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders
Quote:
I plan to track my M2, it is replacing my current track vehicle.

Looked at the M240 and test drove one. Very capable car. Have never driven the M2. I chose the M2 because it plain looked better and the price delta was negligible comparably equipped.
Of course and 90% of these cars won't see track time. Personally all I'm saying is the M240 is a logical choice. I went M2 as well but fully acknowledge I don't think it's worth the additional cost.
      07-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #340
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Thought the cost comparison someone posted here earlier showed them to be very close to the same price with comparable options on the 240 ?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #341
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula
Thought the cost comparison someone posted here earlier showed them to be very close to the same price with comparable options on the 240 ?
No discounts if not over msrp on M2. Discounts and lower financing on M240.
      07-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #342
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Of course and 90% of these cars won't see track time. Personally all I'm saying is the M240 is a logical choice. I went M2 as well but fully acknowledge I don't think it's worth the additional cost.
People have different definitions of worth and there's nothing wrong with that. IMO, the wider fenders alone are worth the price delta.
Appreciate 2
Glounk115.00
      07-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #343
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

IMHO, the M2 is worth the difference in appearance alone, those fenders! The added engine and suspension upgrades are a nice bonus.

I also think that 5 years down the road, a well kept M2 will hold its value over a similarly well kept M240i. If the M2 cost $5k-$10k more new, it will still be worth that $5k-$10k more, so it isn't really more expensive in the long run.

I just wish the M2 offered more interior and exterior colors!
Appreciate 2
stefan2361.50
      07-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #344
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
Quote:

The B58 will be at the core of the next M3 engine too. I wonder why?

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #345
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
As I said in another thread, I was just about ready to buyout my '14 235i from my three year "test drive" aka lease. The 235i was a total joy to drive for nearly 50,000 miles. Then my son said Dad, why don't you just get an M2, so I did. And it too is a great car that I love to drive.
      07-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #346
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurbo311
IMHO, the M2 is worth the difference in appearance alone, those fenders! The added engine and suspension upgrades are a nice bonus.

I also think that 5 years down the road, a well kept M2 will hold its value over a similarly well kept M240i. If the M2 cost $5k-$10k more new, it will still be worth that $5k-$10k more, so it isn't really more expensive in the long run.

I just wish the M2 offered more interior and exterior colors!
I completely agree with this. If we are no longer talking about upfront cost and are shifting to net ownership then I don't suspect but am actually certain the m2 will be cheaper in the long run
      07-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #347
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

At the current prices, unless you're getting a huge discount, there is no reason to buy an M240i.

I strongly disagree on the meaningful differences, btw. Rebound damping is not good on the M235/M240 as noted in several reviews. Can be seen in some videos. The car will be less confidence inspiring on bad pavement. More body roll, even less steering feel. Will have a harder time putting the power down, and no, please don't bring up the aftermarket-grade M performance differential which is quite expensive. You are going to get more feedback in the M2 and it will be more enjoyable, even if you're not pushing 9/10ths. The M2 already has enough body roll, squat, dive, and secondary motions compared to a car like a base Cayman.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      07-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #348
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep

Value, Worth, etc...has different meanings to different people as already pointed out. To me the only benefit of choosing the M240 over the M2 is the exterior and interior color choices, and the moonroof in the US. Otherwise, the M2 is the better value really.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #349
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
At the current prices, unless you're getting a huge discount, there is no reason to buy an M240i.

I strongly disagree on the meaningful differences, btw. Rebound damping is not good on the M235/M240 as noted in several reviews. Can be seen in some videos. The car will be less confidence inspiring on bad pavement. More body roll, even less steering feel. Will have a harder time putting the power down, and no, please don't bring up the aftermarket-grade M performance differential which is quite expensive. You are going to get more feedback in the M2 and it will be more enjoyable, even if you're not pushing 9/10ths. The M2 already has enough body roll, squat, dive, and secondary motions compared to a car like a base Cayman.
See my posts #19 and #33. Still think they're right. Yep, 300 posts and 3 months ago.

As for the differences in the suspensions, I don't think most people could tell the difference beyond the harshness of ride. Once again read "most" not "all."
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #350
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Value, Worth, etc...has different meanings to different people as already pointed out. To me the only benefit of choosing the M240 over the M2 is the exterior and interior color choices, and the moonroof in the US. Otherwise, the M2 is the better value really.
Moonroof is now an option on the M2, there's an entire thread about its affect on resale value.

Last edited by importriders; 07-11-2017 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #351
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
Moonroof is now an option on the M2, there's an entire thread about its resale value.
Yes, meant currently available as in today, sorry should have been more specific.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #352
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
No it doesn't.More like half the performance of the M2.The M240i has a great engine but that's about it.The car just doesn't measure up to the M2 in the handling department for anyone that is used to driving a real M car.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00