BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Let's discuss the BMW "M2 CS" rumor: will there be a hardcore M2 variant 2019/2020 ?

05-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #551
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
I am really hoping M wakes up from its grandiose delusions. Their grand tourer obsess product range need to be scaled back and a simplistic motorsport homologation model like an E30 M3 should be on offer. There is a caveat in this...a 6MT option has to be available
I agree whole heartily about BMW waking up. Not sure if the homologation is necessary anymore, as that was forced by the rules in Motorsport at the time. That being said, it should not stop BMW from building the car many want.

Let's face it, HPDE's and track days are way more popular now a days and not everybody that attends them is filthy rich to bring their GT3 RS,Viper ACR or was lucky enough to get a M4 GTS. I really think there is an opportunity for almost any car manufacturer to make a name for themselves, to build a light sporty car. Kind of like the the Toyota BRZ, except with more power. Word would get out quick if a certain model was the car to have at the track and I don't understand why no one offers such a thing?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #552
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Quote:
I believe it's not fully confirmed yet if Porsche will use the RS badge on the next GT4 and also 2nd hand GT4 prices are coming down so going forward there are plenty of choices for enthusiasts.
If the next GT4 comes with turbos, auto only, or an ample raise in MSRP the current GT4 will not depreciate. With Porsche who knows. They seem to do a good job playing games. The current GT3 has a price hike and we still have to wait in line to get one .
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 11:52 PM   #553
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
If the next GT4 comes with turbos, auto only, or an ample raise in MSRP the current GT4 will not depreciate. With Porsche who knows. They seem to do a good job playing games. The current GT3 has a price hike and we still have to wait in line to get one .
Good news here

http://blog.caranddriver.com/next-po...ck-with-stick/
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 12:18 AM   #554
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
I agree whole heartily about BMW waking up. Not sure if the homologation is necessary anymore, as that was forced by the rules in Motorsport at the time. That being said, it should not stop BMW from building the car many want.

Let's face it, HPDE's and track days are way more popular now a days and not everybody that attends them is filthy rich to bring their GT3 RS,Viper ACR or was lucky enough to get a M4 GTS. I really think there is an opportunity for almost any car manufacturer to make a name for themselves, to build a light sporty car. Kind of like the the Toyota BRZ, except with more power. Word would get out quick if a certain model was the car to have at the track and I don't understand why no one offers such a thing?
Yes, a simplistic and capable performance car is what we enthusiast need.

The M4GTS was a major disappointment to me. The old cumbersome water injection system adds weight, introduce additional complexity and failure points. Utilising it on a GTS is simply not a good engineering concept in the first place. Back 20 years ago water injection kit was a cheap solution for low octane gas and for those 'no money to get big turbo kit' guys.

They could have given the engine a bigger displacement and couple with bigger turbo-chargers with turbine blades made from exotic materials to reduce inertia. Given the money they charged on the GTS they should have gone a lot further with the engine development.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 06:39 AM   #555
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Reposting this interesting M2 pre-production instrument cluster in this thread (source: here (pictures) and here (brief video clip)):

8.5K rpm ? N55 engine ? Reminds to the mistaken M2 instrument cluster render in the M2 Technical Training (see the manuals sticky) also showing 8.5K rpm:

Name:  M2_InstrumCluster_8Krpm.png
Views: 2808
Size:  288.8 KB
      05-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #556
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Yes, a simplistic and capable performance car is what we enthusiast need.

The M4GTS was a major disappointment to me. The old cumbersome water injection system adds weight, introduce additional complexity and failure points. Utilising it on a GTS is simply not a good engineering concept in the first place. Back 20 years ago water injection kit was a cheap solution for low octane gas and for those 'no money to get big turbo kit' guys.

They could have given the engine a bigger displacement and couple with bigger turbo-chargers with turbine blades made from exotic materials to reduce inertia. Given the money they charged on the GTS they should have gone a lot further with the engine development.
I agree the water jet solution was odd. The added weight is not a big deal IMHO, as the tank is in the rear, and it's easy to save weight there on other things. (Lightweight battery or muffler). Never the less, since the engine is already a turbo, it would have been easier to just add bigger turbos or more displacement like you said.

Not to get off topic on this, but the GTS makes little sense in that price range. 991 GT3 is not significantly more expensive and far superior.

BMW's always offered better practicality, at a much lower price than Porsche, and they should keep that in mind with their models that are a step above the M cars. In other words, when they start adding roll bars and increase the price to Porsche level, it makes little sense to stick with the brand. Sorry, but if I pay Porsche prices and can't use the rear seats, I might as well get a P-car.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      05-15-2017, 06:09 PM   #557
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Reposting this interesting M2 pre-production instrument cluster in this thread (source: here (pictures) and here (brief video clip)):

8.5K rpm ? N55 engine ? Reminds to the mistaken M2 instrument cluster render in the M2 Technical Training (see the manuals sticky) also showing 8.5K rpm:

Attachment 1622900
Ok so could be S55 and I have been off the forum for a while now and catching up so this may already be discussed but what about that the dials are digital in those photos
[IMG]http://www.2ertalk.de/uploads/monthl...1494799165.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #558
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis

Attachment 1622900
Ok so could be S55 and I have been off the forum for a while now and catching up so this may already be discussed but what about that the dials are digital in those photos
[IMG]http://www.2ertalk.de/uploads/monthl...1494799165.jpg[/IMG]
Or they could be like the Defi BF gauges where the display doesn't show until you turn on the backlight.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #559
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

These dials don't seem to be digital. Digital dials are the ones on the 3 and 4 series LCI in which the dials look similar to the ones on the i-drive screen.
I like these (M2 CS) more than the digital dials on the standard 3 series/4 series LCI.
Actually like the ones on the current M3/M4 even more than these.

Also, not sure why the dials are getting so much attention.
I would be more interested in what they signify. That car's definitely got to have the S55 under the hood.

Does anyone know when these pictures were taken. The M4 CS by this time looked almost identical to it's production version. It looks like the M2 CS will not get too many external updates which I guess is fine as long as BMW went crazy with what's under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #560
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 08:40 PM   #561
supsup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CLS63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
These dials don't seem to be digital. Digital dials are the ones on the 3 and 4 series LCI in which the dials look similar to the ones on the i-drive screen.
I like these (M2 CS) more than the digital dials on the standard 3 series/4 series LCI.
Actually like the ones on the current M3/M4 even more than these.
The picture of the instrument cluster you're referring to came from a pre-production M2. Not a M2 CS.

The M2 CS speculation is coming from the fact that the rev/redline is moved up to 8k.

The guy who posted the pictures saw this car in person. Took the pictures himself. He confirmed that in fact it's a pre-production M2. Not a CS. And the gauges are not full digital.

Of course we can speculate. And the 8k RPM is adding confusion to the speculation.

Last edited by supsup; 05-15-2017 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 09:13 PM   #562
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
That's a regular M2 - with the M Performance alcantara wheel and display PLUS a bimmermasterpiece hood (GTS stitching).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 12:05 AM   #563
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joao View Post
The picture of the instrument cluster you're referring to came from a pre-production M2. Not a M2 CS.

The M2 CS speculation is coming from the fact that the rev/redline is moved up to 8k.

The guy who posted the pictures saw this car in person. Took the pictures himself. He confirmed that in fact it's a pre-production M2. Not a CS. And the gauges are not full digital.

Of course we can speculate. And the 8k RPM is adding confusion to the speculation.
Those pictures were stated to be pre-production M2 LCI according to the person who took the pictures. We now know that the M2 LCI changes are purely cosmetic which is what you see in these pictures.

The most probable reason we see the tachometer up till 8.5K RPM is because the car most certainly houses an S55 under the hood unless you can tell me some other reason. BMW probably killed 2 birds with one stone where in they tested the LCI cosmetic updates and the CS engine changes on the same car.

Also, here's an image of what came up on the video posted by the same guy. The car appears to be an SUV in it. This kind of proves that the pictures are probably from a test mule that was used to test more than 1 function/feature that will maybe be on more than 1 car.

What we really need right now are exterior, interior and under the hood pictures of the car with the license plate M DV 5388
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 12:09 AM   #564
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Actually that looks like the 5 door 1 series hatch
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 12:28 AM   #565
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
Actually that looks like the 5 door 1 series hatch
Yup that makes more sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 12:51 AM   #566
supsup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CLS63

You guys cracked the case.

Makes sense now
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 02:37 AM   #567
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Attachment 1622900
At least the one in the Technical Training document had the 'M' logo on the display...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #568
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
Also, here's an image of what came up on the video posted by the same guy. The car appears to be an SUV in it. This kind of proves that the pictures are probably from a test mule that was used to test more than 1 function/feature that will maybe be on more than 1 car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
At least the one in the Technical Training document had the 'M' logo on the display...
Ignore the "Service due since" car icon and missing ///M logo on the rev-counter. It's an M2 pre-production species, serving the purpose to undergo testing, retooling and fine-tuning before the final version gets signed off. Photographer commented that the seats and center armrest of that M2 test mule also did not feature the Polar Blue contrast-stitching. He also specified that the instrument cluster seen in these pictures feature technology used in the new 5-Series (base version of the instrument cluster, not the optional full digital instrument cluster).

Bonnet open: interested to know what's seen there:

05-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #569
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Ignore the "Service due since" car icon and missing ///M logo on the rev-counter. It's an M2 pre-production species, serving the purpose to undergo testing, retooling and fine-tuning before the final version gets signed off. Photographer commented that the seats and center armrest of that M2 test mule also did not feature the Polar Blue contrast-stitching. He also specified that the instrument cluster seen in these pictures feature technology used in the new 5-Series (base version of the instrument cluster, not the optional full digital instrument cluster).

Bonnet open: interested to know what's seen there:

Good info as usual

Certainly a step up in legibility from the instrument cluster that's currently used...for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 03:49 AM   #570
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

I'm slowly getting back on the M2 wagon as I'm in a position to buy again and this CS has my attention. I'm over trawling back through old posts.

Is it likely to mirror the M4 CS in terms of price increase over standard M4? And will it be more than a base M4? I believe the current guess is 100k usd for CS That's quite a staggering price hike!

Because here in Oz $160,000 for M4 and $300,000 for M4 GTS so based on US pricing guess for M4 CS in Oz would be $200,000

Now the M2 base manual here is 100,000 so what's the consensus for US price of M2 CS? That will give me an idea of what to expect here.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 05:32 AM   #571
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
I'm slowly getting back on the M2 wagon as I'm in a position to buy again and this CS has my attention. I'm over trawling back through old posts.
Is it likely to mirror the M4 CS in terms of price increase over standard M4? And will it be more than a base M4? I believe the current guess is 100k usd for CS That's quite a staggering price hike!
Because here in Oz $160,000 for M4 and $300,000 for M4 GTS so based on US pricing guess for M4 CS in Oz would be $200,000
Now the M2 base manual here is 100,000 so what's the consensus for US price of M2 CS? That will give me an idea of what to expect here.
Thanks
For the 'M2 vs M2 CS' price guesstimate, I said before that IMHO the 'E46 M3 vs E46 M3 CSL' yard stick won't be far off base: ±150% (also keep in mind that some base M2 options may be stock on the M2 CS and that some base M2 stock/optional features may not be available on the M2 CS and vice versa).
      05-19-2017, 06:37 AM   #572
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Here is the UK the M2 is a £45k car so I'd expect the M2CS to be a £60-£65k car I guess.

Only time will tell, for us the M4CS is about a 40% hike over an M4 DCT car.
Appreciate 0