BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Fabspeed Sportcat + Dinan Resonator Delete

02-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #1
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Hey all,

I decided my M2 needed an upgrade in the sound department. Honestly, I really liked the way the stock exhaust sounded, but I thought it was a bit too quiet. Like some of you, I can't justify spending thousands of dollars on an aftermarket exhaust system, but I also didn't want to go catless and risk opening up the can of worms that comes with that: smoke coming out the tail pipes, failed emissions tests, bad smells, CEL's, tuning, voided warranty. Trust me, I know all about it. My 335 was catless and modded up the ass and, well...here’s a video of it lol

I really didn’t want a repeat of that, especially on a brand new M car. I want my warranty intact and I'm going for a more low key approach this time around. If you want a racecar set up then god bless, but that isn't what I’m trying to accomplish. I want some balance. OEM+ is what I’m shooting for here. This isn’t my track toy. I want it to sound somewhat composed at low cruising speeds but aggressive when I gun it.

It should also be noted that I had momentarily considered a muffler delete but ruled it out because of drone. Just something I personally didn’t want. Some of you may not mind it but I do. I also think dropping weight off the rear of the car without doing the same upfront will upset the balance; just not a good option for me.

So the question stands, how does one get a louder, better sounding exhaust without the draw backs of going catless, for a reasonable price?

Well, after a ton of research and thought, I chose to go with a 200cell sportcat from Fabspeed, and a midpipe (resonator delete) from Dinan. The sportcat was ~$1200 and the midpipe was ~$260. Shoutout to Bobby from Fabspeed Motorsport who hooked me up with the sale and showed me some videos which ultimately helped me throughout my decision making process.

I thought you all would appreciate some home made comparison videos to help you decide if this is the route you would like to go, or if you will take a different path.

Here's the stock exhaust:

Here's the stock system plus the Dinan midpipe:

And finally, here's the Fabspeed Sportcat + Dinan midpipe

Conclusion:

Sound wise? I LOVE IT! It's not overbearing but it sounds real mean like an M car should. Tons of burbles and pops added without losing the great tone of the stock exhaust. No drone. No smoke. No smell. No CEL. No tune required. Also when I’m in 2nd gear at 4000rpm and floor it to 5000 and then let go of the gas, there is a MASSIVE brrrrrrrrrrrt noise as if an A10 warthog just started doing strafing runs behind me, followed by a loud bang/backfire. It’s fucking brutal.

But rest assured, you won’t hear this unless the cars under heavy load, so around town it won’t sound obnoxious unless you’re purposely driving like an asshole.

Price? Not a bad set up for ~$1460. Yes, a $500 straight pipe would have been 1/3 of the price, but like I said before, I didn't want to deal with the side effects of going catless. I also didn’t want to spend a fortune on the MPE or something similar. I wanted an affordable, headache free solution, and I think I’ve accomplished that while coincidentally making a little horsepower in the process. This leads me to the last part of my review then...

Power? Well, my butt dyno tells me there is definitely less turbo lag and more hp/tq. But if you want some numbers, the dyno posted by Fabspeed says you gain 22whp and 33 ft-lbs of torque at 4250 RPM.*

*It should be noted that this was with their muffler delete as well, but that's more for noise, the majority of the power comes from the sportcat. The dyno’d car was untuned. The gains were just from the bolt on exhaust pieces. It was otherwise stock.

Here is another dyno. This one is from a forum member, not fabspeed themselves.
No before comparison, just two runs with a fabspeed cat and mufflerbypass.
Once again, no tune.

So again, I love this exhaust combo and couldn't be happier. The sound, price, and power increase are all wonderful and the noise the car makes is balanced between stock and what I would consider over the top aggressive. It’s very tasteful in my opinion.

Simply put, for me, this set up is a win, win, win.

Update 3/14:

short in car clip of MDM mode (low speeds with the windows down)

Update 3/29:

Finally some nice weather. Sport + with the windows down. That backfire tho...

Update 4/11:

Flyby clip

and some revs

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 12-23-2020 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 19
DrKevM52262.00
MTHRAR437.50
swagon13482.50
twin fed1175.50
BAN_M2C4153.00
gtaM2390.50
dtmurf477.00
pmilani43.50
Blurbo311197.00
Dabozo624.50
bmxcamel528.50
m2for2223.50
Poochie9099.00
      02-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 17 488GTB, 16 Cayman S

Well said! I just got the same setup and I think this is the most cost effective setup for a good sounding exhaust system that also doesn't drone.
Appreciate 4
      02-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Fantastic! That's the setup I'm having installed next week.
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Thank you for taking the time to make and post the videos!
I really like the way the resonator delete with Fabspeed DP sound with the stock exhaust.
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #5
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Sounds pretty awesome for a sub $1500 setup. I was originally thinking of doing the Dinan Exhaust, but I've been eyeing up the sport cat from Fabspeed since they released it. I am definitely pulling the trigger on something early this spring.

Thanks again for the write up and video, it was extremely helpful.
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #6
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

andrewc89 Thank you so much for the detailed write up! You really hit the nail on the head of exactly what our Sport Cat is able to provide which is a great bump in power and sound without having to worry about a tune or CEL! You should definitely have a friend do some fly-by videos!
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      02-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #7
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Oh and I LOVE, The Office reference too! Such a great show haha!
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      02-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
mlust
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

would love to hear some more videos when you get a chance, of in the car and passing by as well. sounds great by the way!
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

+1 for some flyby videos!
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      02-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlust View Post
would love to hear some more videos when you get a chance, of in the car and passing by as well. sounds great by the way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
+1 for some flyby videos!
Honestly, I don't think my phone would do a good job portraying the sound from inside the car. The active sound will probably dominate the cabin with the windows up and windows down probably wouldn't work due to wind noise. I can try of course, but i'm not very optimistic about the results.

I do have a tripod coming on Thursday however, so i'll get those flyby's done as soon as i can.

Cheers.
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #11
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Honestly, I don't think my phone would do a good job portraying the sound from inside the car. The active sound will probably dominate the cabin with the windows up and windows down probably wouldn't work due to wind noise. I can try of course, but i'm not very optimistic about the results.

I do have a tripod coming on Thursday however, so i'll get those flyby's done as soon as i can.

Cheers.
You'd be surprised how well your phone will work but I do think the AS will take over. Flyby videos are better anyway haha!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 09:51 PM   #12
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlust View Post
haven't been able to get a good flyby yet due to time constraints and snow, but i've added an in car clip at slow speeds (so wind noise wouldn't be an issue)

This is MDM mode with the windows down.

Appreciate 2
      03-15-2017, 08:05 AM   #13
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 17

Yes is perfect!!!!! sound and $ .. going to setup this with the M performance Exhaust ..any one here with this on the M performance Exhaust ,,, the sound have to be

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by AGM2; 03-29-2017 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #14
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I love my set up. I even have the same tips, lol

Appreciate 1
      03-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #15
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
haven't been able to get a good flyby yet due to time constraints and snow, but i've added an in car clip at slow speeds (so wind noise wouldn't be an issue)

This is MDM mode with the windows down.

The cool weather really enhances those pops too! Good luck with the snow as well!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #16
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
You'd be surprised how well your phone will work but I do think the AS will take over. Flyby videos are better anyway haha!

Appreciate 2
      03-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #17
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Oh my! HAHA!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #18
djacts
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
thanks for posting, excellent summary and vids!! I'm going to be putting this set up (with the M performance exhaust) in my mine right away, it will be here in mid July. However I have one question. The parts guy at the dealership I'm buying the car from has cautioned me against the resonator delete. He says the turbo wants back pressure and I'll probably get a drop in performance by adding it. What is your take on this? People seem to say the turbo is more responsive with the resonator delete. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #19
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacts View Post
thanks for posting, excellent summary and vids!! I'm going to be putting this set up (with the M performance exhaust) in my mine right away, it will be here in mid July. However I have one question. The parts guy at the dealership I'm buying the car from has cautioned me against the resonator delete. He says the turbo wants back pressure and I'll probably get a drop in performance by adding it. What is your take on this? People seem to say the turbo is more responsive with the resonator delete. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.
Okay, couple things...

The M performance exhaust has a midpipe (without a resonator) already built into it. You will be deleting it automatically if you buy it. If bmw is removing the resonator on their performance exhaust i don't see any reason why the dinan resonator delete would be a bad thing.

Next, there's no point in getting the dinan resonator delete unless you're keeping your stock muffler or using a dinan one. It would literally be a waste of money. The MPE has a resonator delete/midpipe built into it. You can't use both parts simultaneously.

Lastly, I got the dinan res delete before the sport cat so i would have noticed any loss in performance had there been one. I didn't notice any loss in power. Just a gain in exhaust noises and volume. I love it. Also, the power gained from the sport cat is/would be significantly larger than any possible losses from the res delete. It's a non issue.

PS.

Before you commit to an M performance exhaust (MPE), you might want to know that there are some issues with it regarding vibration during cold starts and drone at highway speeds. So just do your research on the forum before you dive in head first. That being said, a fabspeed sport cat + MPE is an awesome combo if you don't mind the price and those flaws.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 05-27-2017 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2017, 05:59 PM   #20
djacts
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Okay, couple things...

The M performance exhaust has a midpipe (without a resonator) already built into it. You will be deleting it automatically if you buy it. If bmw is removing the resonator on their performance exhaust i don't see any reason why the dinan resonator delete would be a bad thing.

Next, there's no point in getting the dinan resonator delete unless you're keeping your stock muffler or using a dinan one. It would literally be a waste of money. The MPE has a resonator delete/midpipe built into it. You can't use both parts simultaneously.

Lastly, I got the dinan res delete before the sport cat so i would have noticed any loss in performance had there been one. I didn't notice any loss in power. Just a gain in exhaust noises and volume. I love it. Also, the power gained from the sport cat is/would be significantly larger any possible losses from the res delete. It's a non issue.

PS.

Before you commit to an M performance exhaust (MPE), you might want to know that there are some issues with it regarding vibration during cold starts and drone at highway speedhs. So just do your research on the forum before you dive in head first. That being said, a fabspeed sport cat + MPE is an awesome combo if you don't mind the price and those flaws.

thanks so much for this. I didn't realize the MPE had a mid pipe with no resonators. I missed that and so did all the people at the dealership! Will have to rethink the MPE and weigh the options. It gets shipped from Germany and the MPE gets put on in Halifax before coming out west, so I have some time to make the final call.

That said, can't wait to get my hands on the Fabspeed catted DP.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 08:06 AM   #21
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
*It should be noted that this was with their muffler delete as well, but that's more for noise, the majority of the power comes from the sportcat. The dyno’d car was untuned. The gains were just from the bolt on exhaust pieces. It was otherwise stock.

Here is another dyno. This one is from a forum member, not fabspeed themselves.
No before comparison, just two runs with a fabspeed cat and mufflerbypass.
Once again, no tune.

Good write up. This sheet you used was mine. Was full Fabspeed at that time.

I need to revisit the same dyno again since I ditched the Fabspeed bypass and went with the DINAN Resonator Delete and DINAN Free Flow Exhaust.

If you think you love the sound now with the DP and Midpipe only believe me if you added the Exhaust from them it would be a whole new story..

I can't get over my setup.. hopefully it does show perhaps an improvement (perhaps not more power) but making it more quicker on the RPM range. I feel the turbo spools up quicker with less restriction now and accelerates much better. The turbo can be heard much more now.

No Boost4019.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      06-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #22
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN_M2 View Post

Omg i've been waiting for a video of a dinan set up for months now. I really love the way it sounds i just dislike the fact you don't have a choice in exhaust tips, but i'm sure it's something i could get over. I'll be adding the muffler ASAP after hearing that video! Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 2
No Boost4019.00