BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Dumbest reason to void a warranty on an M car!

10-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: M2

Dumbest reason to void a warranty on an M car!

I took the car to the dealer to check on the brakes after a track day and also asked about warranty if I install an aftermarket cat back. We started talking and I praised the car and highlighted how much I was enjoying it. Thanking them for making this possible. The rep I was dealing with said he will ask the manager about the exhaust and get back to me. He calls me later and tells me the exhaust will void the warranty and ... taking the car to track would also void the warranty and explained that this wasn't a track ready car, unlike the M4 GTS!

I was shocked and asked to speak with the manager. He called me the next day and explained how while speeding on the street might not affect the car but constantly pushing the car then stopping all of a sudden might affect the turbo (isn't that what cool down laps are for?). I clarified and told him I'm not expecting a warranty on the brakes but he insisted that the full warranty would be void.

I tried challenging him with the M laptimer application and M Driver's package offered in the USA. The fact that on the far technical details on the website it says "track ready" and all the photos and video ads were of the M2 on a track. And the ads with the Nurburgring times but it was a waste of time. He said those were different markets, different regions and different policies. I gave up and told him I hope I won't need the warranty but if I do I will make sure to involve BMW Germany and local consumer protection and customer rights agencies.

I'm just fed up with the level of service here and emailed BMW Germany about it. Not to mention that MSRP here is 30% more than the USA, in a country where tax basically does not exist! I understand that volumes are not to be compared but you would be surprised at the number of cars sold, compared to the number of cars on the streets. I heard back from BMW ME who replied that an aftermarket exhaust would void the warranty but no comments on the track claim, they didn't confirm nor correct the statement. I replied asking for an answer and no money replied yet. This was a could of days ago and I sent a reminder today.

Dealers are so greedy and want to get away with as much margin as possible, by doing as little as possible!

Last edited by MYK; 10-07-2016 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
flyaway140.50
      10-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Track? What track? I didn't take it on any track

Put some electrical tape on the VIN when at the track in case anyone is snooping around and no way they can prove it. If they see you, you 'borrowed a friends car'.

I agree it is likely a bogus claim though.
Appreciate 3
      10-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYK
I took the car to the dealer to check on the brakes after a track day and also asked about warranty if I install an aftermarket cat back. We started talking and I praised the car and highlighted how much I was enjoying it. Thanking them for making this possible. The rep I was dealing with said he will ask the manager about the exhaust and get back to me. He calls me later and tells me the exhaust will void the warranty and ... taking the car to track would also void the warranty and explained that this wasn't a track ready car, unlike the M4 GTS!

I was shocked and asked to speak with the manager. He called me the next day and explained how while speeding on the street might not affect the car but constantly pushing the car then stopping all of a sudden might affect the turbo (isn't that what cool down laps are for?). I clarified and told him I'm not expecting a warranty on the brakes but he insisted that the full warranty would be void.

I tried challenging him with the M laptimer application and M Driver's package offered in the USA. The fact that on the far technical details on the website it says "track ready" and all the photos and video ads were of the M2 on a track. And the ads with the Nurburgring times but it was a waste of time. He said those were different markets, different regions and different policies. I gave up and told him I hope I won't need the warranty but if I do I will make sure to involve BMW Germany and local consumer protection and customer rights agencies.

I'm just fed up with the level of service here and emailed BMW Germany about it. Not to mention that MSRP here is 30% more than the USA, in a country where tax basically does not exist! I understand that volumes are not to be compared but you would be surprised at the number of cars sold, compared to the number of cars on the streets. I heard back from BMW ME who replied that an aftermarket exhaust would void the warranty but no comments on the track claim, they didn't confirm nor correct the statement. I replied asking for an answer and no money replied yet. This was a could of days ago and I sent a reminder today.

Dealers are so greedy and want to get away with as much margin as possible, by doing as little as possible!
Never tell them you went to the track or tracking your car. My friend with his M4 went through some issues with this and he got bmw corporate involved and the best they did was meet half way. So he had to pay half. The tech came out and asked him casually if he went to the track and he said yes.

You can track just deny ever going to bmw dealers.

I'm not sure why dealers give such a hard time when bmw corporate paying the bill anyway.
Appreciate 1
amdmaxx119.00
      10-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er View Post

Put some electrical tape on the VIN when at the track in case anyone is snooping around and no way they can prove it. If they see you, you 'borrowed a friends car'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Never tell them you went to the track or tracking your car. My friend with his M4 went through some issues with this and he got bmw corporate involved and the best they did was meet half way. So he had to pay half. The tech came out and asked him casually if he went to the track and he said yes.

I'm not sure why dealers give such a hard time when bmw corporate paying the bill anyway.
I told them I took it to track and my photos on track with my liscence plates are all over Instagram. I can still deny all of this but still, why should I! BMW are selling the car and promoting it as a track ready car!
Appreciate 1
amdmaxx119.00
      10-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #5
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post

I told them I took it to track and my photos on track with my liscence plates are all over Instagram. I can still deny all of this but still, why should I! BMW are selling the car and promoting it as a track ready car!
I'm sure they have themselves covered in the fine print.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #6
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
I went thru this same conversation with my CA two weeks ago.. apparently it varies dealer to dealer..

My Sales Manager said I could do all bolt ons I wanted, just avoid programming.

My CA said basically I can do whatever I want to the car BUT whatever part I change, they will not warranty.

If I do a bigger brake setup or go CCB then they will not warranty that. If I change the stock suspension and install aftermarket coils they will not warranty the part I change, unless its an M Performance suspension. Same goes with an aftermarket exhaust.

What they do seem to go against is if you go change the programming on it with anything that is not BMW authorized, for example Dinan is approved by them.

He then proceeded to tell me about a customer they had who tracked his M4 heavily and recorded it and had it all over web. The car on his way to work one day ended up blowing a rod, making a hole in the block. Warranty took care of it since it was an engine failure.

He finalized summarizing, and I quote "Look the car is yours and you bought not leased so you can do whatever you want to it, these cars basically have a computer which is like a black box, we know everything you do with it. Its just handled on a case by case basis."

I plan to keep stock for now but then want to upgrade exhaust at a minimum and already ordered a suspension. Powerwise I feel its enough at this moment and plan to keep it as is for a while.
      10-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYK

I don't get how they knew u took it to the track. The whole thing sounds fishy and I would call BMWNA.

The dumbest reasons for voiding your warranty includes tunes, suspensions and, catless downpipes.

The car is nice as-is no need for any serious mods. If u do you assume responsibility for it even if some is covered.
      10-07-2016, 07:25 PM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

First. Print off a copy of the Magnusson-Moss warranty act and drop it on them.

It's FEDERAL LAW and it came out in 1979

It's amazing how stupid many dealer service managers are. They don't even know their own job.

Second - don't discuss your track activities with your dealer unless your dealer supports track events.

Third - don't mention your track activities to your insurance agent either ..
Appreciate 3
BAN_M2C4180.00
amdmaxx119.00
      10-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
First. Print off a copy of the Magnusson-Moss warranty act and drop it on them.

It's FEDERAL LAW and it came out in 1979

It's amazing how stupid many dealer service managers are. They don't even know their own job.

Second - don't discuss your track activities with your dealer unless your dealer supports track events.

Third - don't mention your track activities to your insurance agent either ..
Oops. I thought you were in the USA.
More than likely your country has a similar law. The dealer cannot " void " your entire warranty simply because you installed an aftermarket part.

They can refuse to warranty a part of the car if the item you installed cause the failure ... but that's a different situation
Appreciate 2
BAN_M2C4180.00
amdmaxx119.00
      10-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #10
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Oops. I thought you were in the USA.
More than likely your country has a similar law. The dealer cannot " void " your entire warranty simply because you installed an aftermarket part.

They can refuse to warranty a part of the car if the item you installed cause the failure ... but that's a different situation
Look, someone who knows what they're talking about!
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 1
Corinne1171.00
      10-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #11
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

It is interesting that the dealer says that the M2 isn't built for the track when I just spent two days thrashing the M2,3 and 4 around during the 2 day M school. Seems to be a significant contradiction. The cars I drove had 3-4,000 miles on them and spent most of that time on the track and held up just fine.

Fortunately in the USA the good folks at SEMA have ensured that the law protects consumers who want to do aftermarket modifications (within some limits of course).
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4180.00
      10-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #12
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Thought this would be an interesting thread when seeing the title. Turns out a rant on how BMW are not covering you if you do the exhaust mod (who else in the market is?) and how they don't promote track use of your car, all of which IMHO are justifiable.

They wouldn't be telling you any of the M products are built for track use because they are not. It's already a little bit across the line for the dealer to say GTS is more suitable for that.

All M cars are street cars.

Last edited by SeanWRT; 10-07-2016 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 02:49 AM   #13
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Same problem here where the OP actually blew his engine.
Has a positive outcome and you might be able to find something useful.Bare in mind different countries,different consumer laws.

It's a long read but interesting:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...&t=1481763&i=0
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4180.00
      10-08-2016, 05:56 AM   #14
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives
Same problem here where the OP actually blew his engine.
Has a positive outcome and you might be able to find something useful.Bare in mind different countries,different consumer laws.

It's a long read but interesting:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...&t=1481763&i=0
Long, but interesting read indeed, thanks for sharing.
      10-08-2016, 07:00 AM   #15
Zippster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJSM5 View Post
I don't think they can tell you what you can and can do with your car. You should be able to take your M2/3/4/5/6 off-road and they should still honor the warranty as long as it's mechanical failure. Sounds like bs to me. I tell my CA that I track the car, and he does the same. Never any issues.
Just curious, have you had any warranty issues that the dealer has taken car of?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 07:11 AM   #16
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BAN View Post
I went thru this same conversation with my CA two weeks ago.. apparently it varies dealer to dealer..

My Sales Manager said I could do all bolt ons I wanted, just avoid programming.

My CA said basically I can do whatever I want to the car BUT whatever part I change, they will not warranty.

If I do a bigger brake setup or go CCB then they will not warranty that. If I change the stock suspension and install aftermarket coils they will not warranty the part I change, unless its an M Performance suspension. Same goes with an aftermarket exhaust.

What they do seem to go against is if you go change the programming on it with anything that is not BMW authorized, for example Dinan is approved by them.

He then proceeded to tell me about a customer they had who tracked his M4 heavily and recorded it and had it all over web. The car on his way to work one day ended up blowing a rod, making a hole in the block. Warranty took care of it since it was an engine failure.

He finalized summarizing, and I quote "Look the car is yours and you bought not leased so you can do whatever you want to it, these cars basically have a computer which is like a black box, we know everything you do with it. Its just handled on a case by case basis."

I plan to keep stock for now but then want to upgrade exhaust at a minimum and already ordered a suspension. Powerwise I feel its enough at this moment and plan to keep it as is for a while.
...exception Dinan
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #17
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

ahh. that makes choosing an exhaust that much easier...
BUY THE MPE!
      10-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #18
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
ahh. that makes choosing an exhaust that much easier...
BUY THE MPE!
That's what I plan on getting but I have no intention of not tracking the car because of this.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #19
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Thought this would be an interesting thread when seeing the title. Turns out a rant on how BMW are not covering you if you do the exhaust mod (who else in the market is?) and how they don't promote track use of your car, all of which IMHO are justifiable.

They wouldn't be telling you any of the M products are built for track use because they are not. It's already a little bit across the line for the dealer to say GTS is more suitable for that.

And in contrast, Chevrolet has publicly stated that the Camaro is able to withstand track use, and backed that up by saying they would honor the warranty even if the issue was caused by taking the car on the track!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-to-the-track/
      10-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #20
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Dam! Is the M2 ok to drive in the SNOW? Or is that a no-no also!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #21
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post

And in contrast, Chevrolet has publicly stated that the Camaro is able to withstand track use, and backed that up by saying they would honor the warranty even if the issue was caused by taking the car on the track!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-to-the-track/
Exactly my point: BMW is less track focused.
      10-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #22
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Read.. "the already track capable"