BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M4 vs 1M vs M2 back to back track drive

05-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Wink M4 vs 1M vs M2 back to back track drive

Last Saturday I was fortunate enough to drive these 3 cars back to back at our local track here in MC.

I have reasonable track experience but very very far from a pro. Done a bit of instructing for basic level drivers. I have owned and extensively tracked an E46 M3 (still own), E90 M3 (sold) and my 1M. Have taken some Porsche, BMW and BMWCCA performance schools.

I drove the 3 cars at the start of the day back-to-back literally. I hadn't been to the track in a few months so I was feeling a little out of touch. This happens, it usually takes me a while to become confident and "in the zone" so to speak again. I usually drive much better in the afternoon than in the first sessions so factor that into my impressions.

I drove the M4 first. This is a friend's M4 that has the DCT tranny and a sunroof. It was the car I liked the least of the 3 on track. I had previously driven both the M3 and the M4 at another, shorter track and loved them back then. Those had the CF roof but I really can't believe that makes such a large difference. I am 99% sure I had the car setup right with dampers and throttle at their "trackiest" sport+ setting and the steering in comfort. It felt really large and heavy on the corners, quite unwieldy in turns with a lot of body roll that I didn't love compared with the other two. The brakes also lost stopping power after 3-4 laps and I had to start backing off a bit (this car had steel brakes). This last bit is sorta normal for stock ///M cars in my experience. I did about 6-7 laps and my overall impression was that it wasn't that at home on track. It surprised me because I had great memories of my previous drive on track. Also, two weeks ago I drove a DCT M3 on mountain roads and loved it. So, a bit weird. This car's tires where somewhat worn as were the brakes. Maybe that + the sunroof changed the character or maybe I was just not drivin' good on my first session out. Still, weird because I expected to love it but didn't. The one thing I loved was the powertrain. The car accelerates quite noticeably harder than both the M2 and the 1M. It also has the better gearbox compared to the M2 specially - more on this later.

Next (and later in the afternoon) came my own 1M. My car is stock except for rims, tires, pads and fluid. I have it on 18 inch, lighter than stock wheels with Dunlop Direzza ZIIs that have been fantastic. They are quite worn by now with just a day or two left on them. Fronts are 265/35 and rears are 275/35. The tires do help a lot with the handling IMO so take that into account. My car definitely felt both a lot slower in acceleration and a lot nimbler in turns than the M4. Part of that is of course my familiarity with it - but I definitely preferred the 1M that day on that track. It is simply much more fun to drive. I am sure it is also slower by some margin but I couldn't care less.

Finally, the car I had been lusting to test: the M2. It really is like the 1M turned up to 11 in speed but not without a few drawbacks. This car had new tires and brakes, basically just out of its break-in service. It was a DCT which after driving it, I'd never get over the manual. Turn in felt a bit better than the 1M, with a bit less understeer and a bit more balance. The steering feel is fine IMO, maybe not as tactile as the 1M but still fine. No complaints there. The driving position is also fine, you wouldn't notice the "twisted" seat if you weren't told about it. A non-issue. The power is noticeably higher than in the 1M, but I'd say slightly. The difference is more noticeable between the M2 and M4 than between the M2 and the 1M. So yeah, it is a true successor to the 1M. On to the main drawbacks. I hated that you can't configure the DCT shift speed separately from other stuff when you put the car in Sport+ which I did. The shifts get a huge jerk between gears, I guess in an attempt to make them "sporty". That absolutely sucked. In the M4 you can do that and in the 1M, being a manual not a problem and also more fun. So, my main tip here is: do get the manual. This car had the optional M Performance exhaust as well. It's worth it IMO. The sound is leaps and bounds better than my stock 1M that is quiet as a night cricket. In fact, I prefer the sound of both the M4 and M2 over the 1M, with the M2 having the best sound of the 3. Brakes also got a bit faded after a few laps - less than in the M2. Nothing that can't be fixed with fluid and pads in my experience.

At the end of the day, and after a lot of lapping in the 1M where, as I always do, re-bonded with the car, I just love the thing and am probably holding on to it forever. It is super fun at the track. I wanted to love the M2 enough to get that "I must have it" feeling. I didn't. It's a fantastic car and I think a better choice than an M4 for pure driving pleasure but very, very slightly incremental over the 1M at most.

Final notes: M4 and M2 I drove in MDM mode (cars in Mexico have euro MDM). 1M I drive DSC Off.

Appreciate 8
      05-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Thanks for the comparison post!

Odd choice to only have the rear winglets installed???

And your title should be "back to back to back"
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
Thanks for the comparison post!

Odd choice to only have the rear winglets installed???

And your title should be "back to back to back"
Thanks.

This M2 had a few M performance parts installed apart from the exhaust. Front grille, rear spoiler, winglets, floor mats IIRC. But no front splitter.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Is that COTA?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #5
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Is that COTA?
Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is that COTA?
LOL i thought the same thing but then i noticed the pits were missing the name tags for the F1 drivers.

X games there next month btw
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 11:42 PM   #7
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I agree with the M2 DCT shifts. I drove one this last weekend and the hard shifts did suck. I don't understand why the M2 couldn't get the M4's Drivelogic.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 01:05 AM   #8
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Gracias for sharing!

Nice writeup.

I never heard about the jerky shifts in DCT in sport(+) mode, but anyway, it probably makes you feel more engaged with the car or something. Less digital?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 05:55 AM   #9
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Thanks for the writeup, I love it when we get opinions from people who give an honest and unbiased opinion from 'real' experience in the cars they assess.

Excellent!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 05:58 AM   #10
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Nice insight,thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 07:14 AM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r
Quote:
Is that COTA?
LOL i thought the same thing but then i noticed the pits were missing the name tags for the F1 drivers.

X games there next month btw
Texas trifecta next month
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 07:18 AM   #12
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Gracias for sharing!

Nice writeup.

I never heard about the jerky shifts in DCT in sport(+) mode, but anyway, it probably makes you feel more engaged with the car or something. Less digital?

Cheers
Robin
Frankly I fount the jerkiness in shifts in that mode artificial and exaggerated. Even worse, it isn't great on track to have those jerks while shifting during a hard turn. It doesn't really upset the car but it still feels wrong.

I hope someone can find a way to code a fix as it's definitely just a software issue.

Let me put it this way: I can get my ancient, much hated M5's SMG to shift smoother than the M2's DCT in sport+ mode. Because in the M5 I can at least avoid the jerkiness by lifting slightly off the throttle.

Of course, there is a simple fix: getting the manual.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #13
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rivian R1T

I concur on the jerkiness of manual shifts in Sport +.
The car is best left in Sport mode. The M4 also has the said jerkiness in Sport + mode as a comparison.
      05-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #14
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F12M6MD View Post
I concur on the jerkiness of manual shifts in Sport +.
The car is best left in Sport mode. The M4 also has the said jerkiness in Sport + mode as a comparison.
Yes, but the M4 can get around that with its M button configurations. you can choose Sport+ for example for dampers and power and keep the DCT in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #15
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rivian R1T

Yes, you are correct.
      05-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #16
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Texas trifecta next month
Yes indeed, that also which is 2 weeks after the X games. June gonna be a good month in the ATX!
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #17
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I sympathize with what you're saying about the jerkiness of the shifts disrupting track driving, but I'm actually excited for this aspect of the car. Makes it more raw and visceral. Lambos have the same shifting characteristic.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #18
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
I sympathize with what you're saying about the jerkiness of the shifts disrupting track driving, but I'm actually excited for this aspect of the car. Makes it more raw and visceral. Lambos have the same shifting characteristic.
Different strokes. Yes, it actually feels a lot like my old M5 in S6 mode (if you don't lift). It is kind of nice if drag racing, I admit.

I just wish they'd made it configurable like in the M4. It's just software, can't be that expensive at all. Marginal cost per unit = 0.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #19
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico View Post
Marginal cost per unit = 0.
Which would also equal their Marginal revenue.
It's part of distinguishing the M4 from the M2.

Porsche in Sport Plus has also very aggressive gear changes, but on a track you'd just drive around it. There's no way in the 1M I'd change gear mid corner on a fast bend. I'd never want to unbalance that car as you're always on the limit. Which is why we love this car!
You simply shift up a little earlier before hand. I had this around a track in my Porsche and would always shift just before, settle the car and then turn in and power thru.

Great review, I've come to a similar conclusion however I've decided to move from the 1M to an M2. As a daily it's just better in every way, but the biggest improvement for me was the way an M2 puts the power down. It just has far more traction than the 1M.
I'm not sure whether this is due to the e-diff, suspension setup or power delivery down low, but I found I could nail it out of corners like never before in the 1M.
Appreciate 2
      05-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #20
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
Yep, it's awesome. I love it! The sound and feel of the shifts make it feel like an exotic. It just has that feel!
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #21
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
Which would also equal their Marginal revenue.
It's part of distinguishing the M4 from the M2.

Porsche in Sport Plus has also very aggressive gear changes, but on a track you'd just drive around it. There's no way in the 1M I'd change gear mid corner on a fast bend. I'd never want to unbalance that car as you're always on the limit. Which is why we love this car!
You simply shift up a little earlier before hand. I had this around a track in my Porsche and would always shift just before, settle the car and then turn in and power thru.

Great review, I've come to a similar conclusion however I've decided to move from the 1M to an M2. As a daily it's just better in every way, but the biggest improvement for me was the way an M2 puts the power down. It just has far more traction than the 1M.
I'm not sure whether this is due to the e-diff, suspension setup or power delivery down low, but I found I could nail it out of corners like never before in the 1M.
I think you're right. In my comparo above I didn't get that much traction difference because of the non-stock tires/wheels that I'm running in my 1M that improve that a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #22
bbbuzzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 335is convertible (manual)

OP, thanks for the honest review, great stuff! Off the track, how do you feel the M2 compares to your e46 M3 for spirited drives on mountain roads?
'06 330i MT, sport,premium (retired)
Appreciate 0