BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 transmission: do you prefer manual or M-DCT ?

View Poll Results: M2 transmission: do you prefer manual or double-clutch ?
Manual transmission 451 61.61%
M-DCT Drivelogic 281 38.39%
Voters: 732. You may not vote on this poll

03-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #111
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Stats after 300 votes:
  • 187 out of 300 = 62.33%: manual transmission;
  • 113 out of 300 = 37.67%: M-DCT Drivelogic.
Right from the start of this poll, the breakdown always hovered around 3/5 manual and 2/5 M-DCT.
      03-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #112
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Stats after 300 votes:
  • 187 out of 300 = 62.33%: manual transmission;
  • 113 out of 300 = 37.67%: M-DCT Drivelogic.
Right from the start of this poll, the breakdown always hovered around 3/5 manual and 2/5 M-DCT.
I noticed the same in another poll and realized that's probably exactly how election results go most of the time also and that's how they news stations can project a winner early on.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #113
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I noticed the same in another poll and realized that's probably exactly how election results go most of the time also and that's how they news stations can project a winner early on.
Except if some special event happens, causing a loss or land slide for one of the options.

Purely hypothetical: should BMW M announce - quod non - that they are done with manuals and that the M2 is the last M car for spec'ing the manual transmission, more 6MT M2s will be ordered.
      03-24-2016, 12:57 AM   #114
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

The results are most certainly skewed somewhat by a dollar amount of $2900.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #115
M///Fanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E83 X3, F87 M2, 17' i3 REX

I think no matter what! I want my car to feel alive, I feel so much more connected when shifting through that six speed gear box! I've driven DCT numerous times... While I understand the importance and realization of the technology and the future of motor sports, I want to be connected to my car, I want to focus on how to get faster at shifting, nailing that apex with MY manual shifting!
      05-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #116
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M///Fanatic View Post
I think no matter what! I want my car to feel alive, I feel so much more connected when shifting through that six speed gear box! I've driven DCT numerous times... While I understand the importance and realization of the technology and the future of motor sports, I want to be connected to my car, I want to focus on how to get faster at shifting, nailing that apex with MY manual shifting!
If only you would know how I'm smiling like a young kid at the fairground, when enjoying that visceral and tactile pleasure of rowing through the gears of my 6MT M2.
      05-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #117
M///Fanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E83 X3, F87 M2, 17' i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Quote:
Originally Posted by M///Fanatic View Post
If only you would know how I'm smiling like a young kid at the fairground, when enjoying that visceral and tactile pleasure of rowing through the gears of my 6MT M2.
Ahh I can't wait! #2 at the local dealer... The plan is at this point next year my long tenure with my 6 speed e46 M3 will be over and I will have returned from my European delivery experience cruising around in my new M2!

05-04-2016, 05:09 AM   #118
ArnoldRimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 Competition LCI

I'm going with the DCT on this one. Couple of reasons - the cars a DD and the DCT has better economy and emissions figures (all relative I know but I'm usually pretty good at getting the published economy on my current / previous cars).

That being said I can 100% understand going MT as a vast majority of my cars have been manuals - since I haven't had a build slot allocated yet I could change my mind on this one, still a bit undecided but first world problems eh?
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #119
bmwman1863
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
I am an expert on driving manuals and all the various forms of DCT's. With these new DCT's one can feel just as connected to their car, especially the M2.. Love my DCT LBB M2.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #120
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

DCT was novel after decades of driving a manual. Since I usually keep my cars for a long time, manual makes more financial sense (my '13 DCT recently started to act up). Never had trouble with a manual--just normal wear on the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #121
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

The only bad part of the DCT is start/stop traffic. Was in slow moving traffic, sometimes standing still, and it is quite hard to drive smooth and the gearbox sometimes gets the wrong gear and you engine brake a lot or get a jerky acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #122
Coulson T
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: awaiting a MG M2

The best thing is that we can choose which works best for each of us..I've had both in the 135is and many others with the best of satisfaction shifting and the control of a manual transmission..daily drivers in heavy traffic and those of us challenged with injuries have different needs and the DCT suits us fine. Both types work just fine on the track. Kind of like comparing semi auto handguns with revolvers, each has a certain advantage, feel and the skills required to use each is somewhat different.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #123
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwman1863
I am an expert on driving manuals and all the various forms of DCT's. With these new DCT's one can feel just as connected to their car, especially the M2.. Love my DCT LBB M2.

No it's not possible. When your left leg and left foot ain't involved then there is LESS involvement. Simple math my friend.

No idea why shiftless folk try to argue this point.

It's like trying to argue that electric steering is better when everyone knows that It's not.

Is the M2 EPS the best from BMW yet? Yep!
Is It Better than mechanical steering ? Hell no.

A DCT ( and any automatic ) are less involving by design. A little tip **Whenever you have something doing the job for you, there is less involvement. **

Period.

When the automatic ( and the DCT) was designed .. The engineers that did so were absolutely not saying to themselves ( how can I make this car more involving to drive- if anything they were thinking the exact opposite Yo ! ).

Does DCT get the job done faster ? Sure !
With less effort? Absolutely !

Does it allow one who prefers less involvement ( i.e. Not having to LEARN how to operate a clutch ) to drive ? Hello... raison detre

Does it make the car more easy to drive for most ? Sure!

Please tout *ACTUAL* DCT qualities ... and enjoy your DCT in good health !
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #124
bmwman1863
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
DCT Quality Adjuster

Quote:
No it's not possible. When your left leg and left foot ain't involved then there is LESS involvement. Simple math my friend.

No idea why shiftless folk try to argue this point.

It's like trying to argue that electric steering is better when everyone knows that It's not.

Is the M2 EPS the best from BMW yet? Yep!
Is It Better than mechanical steering ? Hell no.

A DCT ( and any automatic ) are less involving by design. A little tip **Whenever you have something doing the job for you, there is less involvement. **

Period.

When the automatic ( and the DCT) was designed .. The engineers that did so were absolutely not saying to themselves ( how can I make this car more involving to drive- if anything they were thinking the exact opposite Yo ! ).

Does DCT get the job done faster ? Sure !
With less effort? Absolutely !

Does it allow one who prefers less involvement ( i.e. Not having to LEARN how to operate a clutch ) to drive ? Hello... raison detre

Does it make the car more easy to drive for most ? Sure!

It's ACTUALLY MORE FUN THAN THE MANUAL... How is that for an actual DCT Quality?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #125
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:

Learn left foot braking and use the gear lever to change gears. (I dont think leaving it in auto is a M thing)

All the involvment you would ever want.

Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 07:51 PM   #126
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I prefer the DCT because I'm a numbers guy and it has better numbers. But is it 2900 better? For me, no. So I voted DCT but in actuality would go with the manual.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 07:30 AM   #127
her02k
Private
Rep
Drives: 997 turbo

It is nice we have a choice to buy a manual m2. I believe this will not be the case in the coming years. The manual makes NO sense to most car companies. Hence the reason why most companies are dropping it.

The manual is one of the main reasons I'm getting the m2 otherwise I'd probobly consider a nissan gtr.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #128
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

I have 5 days now my LBB M2 6MT, and I LOVE it !!

This is by far the best 6MT ever made by BMW, no rubbery feeling what so ever, no it `s all smooth like a babies behind

The throw is short (shorter compared to al former 6MT Bimmers I`ve driven, including the E82 1M), its is precise, it is super smooth.

A little downside (just a little) is the very light clutch, and the lack of feel in it IMHO, just a tad more heavier would have been nice.

Also te auto rev function is slightly "gewöhnungsbedürftig" to put it in German.

When I had the chance to testdrive the M4 DCT, I was sure not to take that, I did not like the DCT at al certainly not compared to IMHO the far better Porsche PDK, the 6MT is the way to go, although in my country it is almost €7K more expensive, but fun has a price, and I`m willing to pay for my kind of fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #129
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

I got the M2 in DCT and I love it. Was worried going into it that I would be disappointed having never driven a DCT before and being more of a manual guy, but at this point I'm not sure if I would go back to manual. Even though it's not as mathematically engaging(4 Vs 3 appendages), I believe it is just as, if not more fun than a manual.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #130
Artemis
Rep

Speaking for myself: 6MT was a deliberate choice from day 1 of the M2 ordering process (and even long before).

My dealer asked me a couple of times if I remained convinced of my 6MT choice "because the M-DCT is a technology marvel". I replied that I did by no means doubt that the M-DCT is a nice piece of machinery, shifting at the blink of an eye. But no matter how brilliant it is, by nature it could never perform the unlimited number of nuances that you can achieve with a 6MT.

With the M-DCT the computer calls the shots, and does so in a perfectly pre-programmed fashion. Always the same routine, observing the computer instructions. The driver can only toggle between program packages (presets). Some prefer to mimic driving it in manual mode, but IMHO then you'd better get the real thing and start to use your left foot.

With the 6MT the driver calls the shots, both feet are active and can perform all subtle nuances at will as regards timing, mechanics and sound. The driver is in charge. No machine can touch this. And then there's also that peculiar feeling of the right hand resting on the gear lever and working that gearbox. As I noted in a previous comment: if only you would know how I'm smiling like a young kid at the fairground, when enjoying that visceral and tactile pleasure of rowing through the gears of my 6MT M2.

Here's an older post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Same here. Have always had one manual and one auto in the stable. I even ran out and bought GTI with dual-clutch gearbox when it first came out, before BMW. Early adopter, but no many how many times I try to buy one, or drive auto loaner and test drive DCTs because that is the only thing available, it is not as fun for me as a manual. I also used to play guitar and I find the shifting a little like strumming a guitar and tapping my feet. It makes me feel connected to the machine in a way, the automatic doesn't. Even hitting the paddle, the shifts are so fast that they area out of rhythm but with a proper manual, you maintain the rhythm and it feels great.
We all know that it's a subjective, personal thing. Numerous, endless discussions about this topic at car forums.

True that it's nostalgia related, as technology inevitably evolves, improving situations.

But there is that peculiar physical and psychological aspect: rowing through gears with an MT feels more like as if the stick is an extension of your arm (and actually it is). Foot and arm operating in close harmony, as if you could touch - and stay in control over - the mechanics mounted onto the chassis. Getting you a little closer to experiencing the car's pulse (movements, bumps, clicks, vibrations, etc.). As a matter of fact, you got a more direct contact with the machinery - less 'sterile' compared to 'sending a message' to the machinery with a mini-moment paddle click or by delegating the whole shifting job to the robot for comfort purposes. And I don't mind that we can never match the speed, shifting perfection and consistency of the robot. No prizes to win. I consider it a benefit that one got to 'work' the machinery, that it requires more involvement. Though I fully understand that others will reply that AUTO/DCT is way more comfortable to operate.

Actually, I don't mind hearing someone gasping for breath when (s)he's singing a song or playing an instrument. I don't mind the artist and audience generating additional sounds that do not feature on the music score. To some extent all those additional sounds (noise?) could be edited out of the recording to achieve a more 'pure' sound, but I don't like that. For, often natural sounds feel more recognizable, more comfortable to connect to.

On the other hand, I do not mind embracing technology. If we adopt the same idea set out above to all sorts of assistance (warnings, DSC nannies, ABS, hill hold, navigation, comfort access, light and rain sensors, cruise control, high beam assist, power/memory seats, etc.) one could consider that you should leave it all off or out (if possible) to have a more 'pure' driving experience. Paradoxically, I don't mind those things (gadgets and gimmicks ?) to be on board and active. But as regards transmission, I'm an old skool MT aficionado.
      05-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #131
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo
I have 5 days now my LBB M2 6MT, and I LOVE it !!

This is by far the best 6MT ever made by BMW, no rubbery feeling what so ever, no it `s all smooth like a babies behind

The throw is short (shorter compared to al former 6MT Bimmers I`ve driven, including the E82 1M), its is precise, it is super smooth.

A little downside (just a little) is the very light clutch, and the lack of feel in it IMHO, just a tad more heavier would have been nice.

Also te auto rev function is slightly "gewöhnungsbedürftig" to put it in German.

When I had the chance to testdrive the M4 DCT, I was sure not to take that, I did not like the DCT at al certainly not compared to IMHO the far better Porsche PDK, the 6MT is the way to go, although in my country it is almost €7K more expensive, but fun has a price, and I`m willing to pay for my kind of fun.
I just read a review talking about the "
Rubbery " feel but saying it's the best BMW transmission yet .

All I know is I Haven't found a BMW that shifts as nicely as a Honda. But mine have been awesome
Appreciate 2
ewohar21.50
      05-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #132
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal
Quote:

Learn left foot braking and use the gear lever to change gears. (I dont think leaving it in auto is a M thing)

All the involvment you would ever want.

I ALREADY know left braking ...

M-DCT huh..Why *does * it go into auto.?
Appreciate 0