Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
you are comparing a cell phone, unedited picture of a stock M2 versus a full photoshoot, edited picture of a modified M235i.

a lot of cars can look better than better model when tastefully modified as in your example.
Good point, but I'm not comparing the quality of the photos. I'm comparing the styling of the bumpers. Even a stock M235i looks better to me from the front than the M2. Maybe when I see one in person it will be different. To be clear, I LOVE the M2. How could I not? I just wish the front looked better (to me).

We all know that we cant argue about subjective looks. Some things "grow" on you. I used to HATE the styling of the E85 Z4. Now, I own one. I have a feeling the M2 bumper will grow on me, but so far it has not.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #134
Uneedthis2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
No salt. I just like my bumper better. The M2 is awesome. It's my car on steroids. I love it, just not the face.
Butterface?
Appreciate 2
      10-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #135
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Porsche proportions are more natural in my opinion. the wider fenders for the m2 are just unnatural and bloated looking in the rear since the wider wheelbase was an afterthought in order to reuse parts from the 2. the rear quarter angle is one of the ugliest features of the 2 in general but i do love the front quarter angle like this shot. I wanted the car to be a clear sell to me to replace my 235 after my lease but it is not. it will come down to driving dynamics I believe otherwise I go the f82 route.

I agree with the others who say this car has no road presence like the M4 but hopefully the people who buy it are not buying it for that reason as they will be disappointed. If it is a no nonsense drivers car, I won't care about the lack of presence.

Hopefully we start to see some real review videos soon as I am getting tired of the fast forward drifting videos that have been put out.
I think the fact that you own a 2 series probably effects your view on the car. Seeing the M2 in photos is one thing, but seeing it on the street and I can tell you the car looks great - especially the flared fenders (or the bubble fenders since the M3 has flared and the M2 and M4 has more bubble fenders in my mind).

The M2 really pumps up the M235, which is a good thing. Sort of like how the M3/M4 pumps up the regular 3 series version. I don't know how anyone who sees the car in person can not like the flared fenders in front and rear.

Again, I think the M2 is the real "M3", in the sense of size/footprint. The current M3/M4 is just too darn big and wide. Basically I see them as previous gen M6 in size. Thats way too big. The M2 is now like a E46, which in my mind was the best size M3 made.

Wait till you see it, it will not disappoint. Unless you have a M235 or 1M. Seems like the only people on the board that seems to have issues with the look of the M2.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #136
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Jeez... if you own a car similar to the M2, you're no longer capable of unbiased opinion? LOL stop being complete idiots!

I think the M2 is a beast and it's super aggressive. But what's appealing is subjective. If you prefer a cleaner looking car, the M235i, M3 and M4 are going to appeal more to you.
      10-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #137
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Porsche proportions are more natural in my opinion. the wider fenders for the m2 are just unnatural and bloated looking in the rear since the wider wheelbase was an afterthought in order to reuse parts from the 2. the rear quarter angle is one of the ugliest features of the 2 in general but i do love the front quarter angle like this shot. I wanted the car to be a clear sell to me to replace my 235 after my lease but it is not. it will come down to driving dynamics I believe otherwise I go the f82 route.

I agree with the others who say this car has no road presence like the M4 but hopefully the people who buy it are not buying it for that reason as they will be disappointed. If it is a no nonsense drivers car, I won't care about the lack of presence.

Hopefully we start to see some real review videos soon as I am getting tired of the fast forward drifting videos that have been put out.
I think the fact that you own a 2 series probably effects your view on the car. Seeing the M2 in photos is one thing, but seeing it on the street and I can tell you the car looks great - especially the flared fenders (or the bubble fenders since the M3 has flared and the M2 and M4 has more bubble fenders in my mind).

The M2 really pumps up the M235, which is a good thing. Sort of like how the M3/M4 pumps up the regular 3 series version. I don't know how anyone who sees the car in person can not like the flared fenders in front and rear.

Again, I think the M2 is the real "M3", in the sense of size/footprint. The current M3/M4 is just too darn big and wide. Basically I see them as previous gen M6 in size. Thats way too big. The M2 is now like a E46, which in my mind was the best size M3 made.

Wait till you see it, it will not disappoint. Unless you have a M235 or 1M. Seems like the only people on the board that seems to have issues with the look of the M2.
majority of 1M owners support the existence of the M2 as it is a car that celebrates the 1M really. I am very happy the M2 exists but am not a fan of the 2-series in general as the styling, terrible steering, and super soft handling characteristics just bother me----and thus I am critical of the M4-looking fenders on the M2 which should have been more aggressive like the 1M or even the 1M inspired F80 M3.

That being said I'm very glad the car exists. I won't ever need one as i am keeping the 1M forever----but I am happy that other people will get to experience the thrills of the 'smallest' M car. I'm sure it will exceed all expectations.

M235 owners have always been unsure of what their cars are....as they are an ordinary car with lots of badges...but the M2, like the 1M, is about the real M components and details....and the M2 makes the M235 look completely pedestrian in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #138
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
M235 owners have always been unsure of what their cars are....as they are an ordinary car with lots of badges...but the M2, like the 1M, is about the real M components and details....and the M2 makes the M235 look completely pedestrian in comparison.
hahaha you're like a virtual poster child for the psychological phenomena known as projection.
      10-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #139
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
Quote:
hahaha you're like a virtual poster child for the psychological phenomena known as projection.
Most normal people who weren't crying and would merely call it an 'opinion'. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #140
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
majority of 1M owners support the existence of the M2 as it is a car that celebrates the 1M really. I am very happy the M2 exists but am not a fan of the 2-series in general as the styling, terrible steering, and super soft handling characteristics just bother me----and thus I am critical of the M4-looking fenders on the M2 which should have been more aggressive like the 1M or even the 1M inspired F80 M3.

That being said I'm very glad the car exists. I won't ever need one as i am keeping the 1M forever----but I am happy that other people will get to experience the thrills of the 'smallest' M car. I'm sure it will exceed all expectations.

Appreciate 2
      10-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #141
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Yeh I agree.

I own an M235i, and I don't think that affects my subjectivity at all. But who cares. An opinion is an opinion. Subjectivity is personal by definition. I don't like the M2 in pictures so far. At all. It looks chubby and high, and the "blown up" look people are referring to that separates the "normal" series cars from the M versions, to me doesn't suit a car this size. I also didn't like the 1M for likely similar reasons. I'm not committing completely to my position until I see one in person, but for now with the photos (and I've seen a lot), it's too chubby and high looking for me. The bumpers are awful. Front one looks borrowed and shrunk down from an X6M and the back one just looks tacked on and disproportional so the overall size of the chassis. AND, I don't like 2's sitting "high" on 19's. Just not a good look to me.
      10-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #142
E90NJ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i 6MT THP

is this at Short Hills?

@estorildan
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #143
Yes2m3cs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS 2016 M4

Yeah where in NJ. I happen to be up here this week and would love to catch a real view of it if possible!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #144
TheNeonTiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

The real question here is:

How do I get this guy's job? Talk about dream gig.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #145
rikwynnpa
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY25 Z4 M40i

This thing needs an LCI already

Those front and rear bumper covers are awful. What a design mess.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #146
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB

Quote:
NO. the M235 looks soft and lumpy.....the M2 doesn't.

more than any of that the M2 is a true sports car....the M235i is not at all.

The M235 is not a true sports car? lolol. Dude, where does your ignorance originate? Based on what criteria does the M235i fail to be a sports coupe? Do explain. The rest is your opinion and you're entitled to it. But that part I dare to say is just plain ignorant.
      10-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #147
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Jeez... if you own a car similar to the M2, you're no longer capable of unbiased opinion? LOL stop being complete idiots!

I think the M2 is a beast and it's super aggressive. But what's appealing is subjective. If you prefer a cleaner looking car, the M235i, M3 and M4 are going to appeal more to you.
If you own a M235 of course you're biased. It basically the same car except the M2 is better.

And I don't think the m3/m4 is cleaner looking. In fact I would say the opposite - the M2 looks less 'transformer' compared to the new m3/m4's
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #148
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty P
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPetrie View Post
am i the only one that hates the front bumper??
Yes and you are wrong.
No, he's not on both counts. But thanks for playing.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #149
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrus112 View Post
Yeh I agree.

I own an M235i, and I don't think that affects my subjectivity at all. But who cares. An opinion is an opinion. Subjectivity is personal by definition. I don't like the M2 in pictures so far. At all. It looks chubby and high, and the "blown up" look people are referring to that separates the "normal" series cars from the M versions, to me doesn't suit a car this size. I also didn't like the 1M for likely similar reasons. I'm not committing completely to my position until I see one in person, but for now with the photos (and I've seen a lot), it's too chubby and high looking for me. The bumpers are awful. Front one looks borrowed and shrunk down from an X6M and the back one just looks tacked on and disproportional so the overall size of the chassis. AND, I don't like 2's sitting "high" on 19's. Just not a good look to me.
So what are you saying the proportions are off like...
Attached Images

2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 02:48 AM   #150
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla
Quote:

If you own a M235 of course you're biased. It basically the same car except the M2 is better.

And I don't think the m3/m4 is cleaner looking. In fact I would say the opposite - the M2 looks less 'transformer' compared to the new m3/m4's
Biased how? You realize there has been just as much support for this car from two series owners as there has been critique of it? And if I own a 2 series and like the M2, I'm supposed to be jealous? My car is on lease for two more years. If I like the M2, guess what I could do... Oh that's right, I can fucking buy one! This is a car, not my neighbor's hot wife. I don't get hurt feelings that a car "better" than mine exists. Hell, if someone's definition of an awesome car is that it has a drop top, then the M2 is a piece of shit compared to a convertible M235i, now isn't it?

And I'm not sure what transformer look you're talking about but the M235i, M3 and M4 have much smoother lines than the M2. I said those cars look more conservative than the M2. If you prefer a more conservative look, you would favor those cars over the M2 styling.
      10-23-2015, 05:35 AM   #151
BMWBIASED
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 XDrive 35i

Nice work!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #152
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
For real! Wow!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #153
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Biased how? You realize there has been just as much support for this car from two series owners as there has been critique of it? And if I own a 2 series and like the M2, I'm supposed to be jealous?
I didn't say you're jealous. I said that as a M235 owner you have an obvious bias (good or bad) due to owning a car that is built on the same platform.

Quote:
My car is on lease for two more years. If I like the M2, guess what I could do... Oh that's right, I can fucking buy one!

You should. Its a better car then the M235. The M235 is a good car, but the M2 is better.

Quote:
I don't get hurt feelings that a car "better" than mine exists.
Ok but your response seems a bit defensive.

Quote:
And I'm not sure what transformer look you're talking about but the M235i, M3 and M4 have much smoother lines than the M2. I said those cars look more conservative than the M2. If you prefer a more conservative look, you would favor those cars over the M2 styling.
Just a difference of opinion. I see some parts of the M3/M4 being busy, hence the 'transformer' comment. I think the M2 comes out cleaner in sheet-metal, shape and design. But its just my opinion, obvious you don't have to agree with it. Doesn't bother me if you don't.

Relax. Enjoy your M235. If you like the M2, get it in 2 years with your lease trade in. Its all good my friend.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #154
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla View Post
I didn't say you're jealous. I said that as a M235 owner you have an obvious bias (good or bad) due to owning a car that is built on the same platform.
You're wrong. I mean you say it yourself... "obvious bias (good or bad)". Is it that M235i owners will all always not like the M2, or will they all always like the M2, or half of them will like it and the other half won't? But how about those that like the car a bit but dislike some things about it? What about those who own an M235i and have absolutely no opinion about the M2 because they couldn't care less? These wide ranges of "bias" are all obvious because we own an M235i? To me it sounds like the car you own has absolutely nothing to do with how you will react to this car. Sure, some people like IEDEI will question whether their car is the best car ever in the history of the world, but just because SOME people are like that doesn't mean that ALL people are like that. Dismissing someone's opinion as "oh obviously he would say that, he owns an M235i" is rightly idiotic.