10-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #23
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkF1 View Post
Those of us on the forum are (likely) BMW enthusiasts. I think you may be looking at this much more narrowly than BMW will. BMW isn't trying to convert the "already a BMW enthusiast" crowd. They are trying to convert the AMG, RS, VW R enthusiasts to the M brand. To do that the price needs to be agressive enough to have folks outside the brand splurge for the M car.

The BMW enthusiasts have a ton of options (even more in Europe) around the 50-65k price range including the M235i, 340i, 435i, 435i GC, 535i, 535d, X3, X4, X5, and M3. And those are just the 6 cylinders.

To the M enthusiast, you have 3 options, the M2, the M3 and to a lesser extent the M235i. Its not a stretch to think a fully loaded M235i buyer may want to jump into the M3, as the M3 is much more well equipped stock. Why would that be any different for the M2 to M3?
Again, these are well reasoned and sound points. However, if true, they should blow production of the M2 wide open to soak up all that interest/demand at a low price point. But this doesn't appear to be likely with all this low production/allocation chatter. I still think this M2 isn't about money or market share for BMW. It's a nod to the BMW enthusiasts on this forum and some branding as well.
Appreciate 1