View Single Post
      10-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #100
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem View Post
Except there is no DCT offered in the Mustang (though you can get one in the Focus and Fiesta - go figure). I haven't seen any information that the 6 speed auto is faster than the manual in the Mustang either. Unless the manual is faster, they tested the two fastest models of the cars available. That seems fair to me, and not cherry picked.

I would also point out that the DCT is only worth 0.2 seconds according to BMW.
That .2 figure seems low, real-world tests typically find a good DCT is .3 or .4 seconds faster than a manual through 60 MPH.

Acceleration tests with the auto GT are not out yet but given that the auto is a very modern sport-oriented one it's likely very close to a DCT in performance - it will have locking clutches (or whatever the term is) for all gears other than first to eliminate the typical power-sapping slippage of a conventional auto tranny when shifting.

The one thing working against the Mustang is relative engine power - apparently the M3/4 powerplant is seriously under-rated by BMW, it's getting near the specc'ed values at the wheels in dyno runs.
Appreciate 0