View Single Post
      01-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
Ewc
Rep
Drives: Mini Clubman JCW

M2 vs. Mini John Cooper Works

Hey all, I currently own a 2012 Mini Clubman JCW and was wondering if anyone has switched to an M2 coming from Mini ownership. I enjoy the pep and nimbleness of my Mini around town, but I'm looking to upgrade after owning my car for 6.5 years.

I see lots of reviewers complaining that the M2 has a noisy harsh ride. I can't imagine the M2 is any harsher than an R56/55 Mini with run flat tires. I upgraded the Mini's shocks to Koni FSDs, and find the ride acceptable.

I briefly test drove an M2 Comp, and the ride felt fine to me, but I didn't get to take it on a variety of road surfaces. I also found the Comp's steering quite good. Many people still complain about lack of steering feel, but the Comp's steering felt very precise and nimble to me. I felt that I could place the car very well while driving around the narrow test drive route. Maybe I'm just used to the Mini's electric rack, but I enjoyed the Comp's steering and handling. Then again, steering feel in the Mini has never been an issue for me. My other car is a 996 C4S cab, which supposedly has amazing steering feel, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on much feel when I hop between the Mini and 996.

If anyone has experience comparing the Mini to the M2 (OG or Comp), I'd appreciate it. I'm most interested in harshness (or not) of the suspension, and highway noise. The OG M2 is currently in my price range, but I could wait an extra year for the Comp prices to come down. So both OG and Comp are currently on my shopping list.

TIA.
Appreciate 0