06-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #17
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelius View Post
This really annoys me too.

Basically it's the gearbox calibration strategy employed by BMW to simulate something different to make uneducated drivers think they're getting something extra, when in fact, it's just not nice.

In sport mode the car shifts quickly and smoothly, without the 'donkey kick' as I like to call it, but sadly when you go into sport+ to reduce DSC interventions (and have a bit more fun), this 'donkey kick' comes with it, to me it makes the car undriveable and I generally avoid using it. Sport or DSC off is really the only options I enjoy.

From a stability and safety point of view, sport+ is also it's own worst enemy. This gearbox calibration cuts torque and dumps it back in after a delay, very violently, and the sudden torque saturates the tyres instantly and causes a loss of traction with fires the DSC system into action to cut power. I would actually argue, full throttle down an undulating road, the car will be faster in sport, than sport+. And in the wet, sport+ is like a chocolate teapot, unless you like staring at a flashing DSC light all the time.

A friend of mine has a Cayman S (981 gen), and has the same issue, although it's not quite as bad as the BMW strategy.
So its the transmission shifting the car and not the lack of DSC that is causing the car to be unstable at the limit?
Appreciate 0