View Single Post
      11-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #16
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG, 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewayne View Post
I drive a ‘17 M2 6MT. I came from a tastefully modded E36, and I bought my M2 without a test drive of any sort.

I love my M2. It’s very close to exactly what I wanted from it, basically a modern much more powerful version of my lil E36. But I had many thoughts of M3/M4 while I was waiting my turn to even get the option to buy my M2. Especially when the dealers were all trying to get 10-20k over sticker... maybe I should just find the money for the bigger car,.... maybe the larger size would be more suitable for a guy in his mid 30s,.... maybe I needed those horses and M modes and, and, and...

So anyway, you can imagine my excitement when a new co-worker offered to let me drive his M4 this morning and encouraged me to abuse it.

I just wanted to throw a few thoughts in here for others that are trying to pick between the two.

First off, I’m so happy I stuck with the M2.
While it was only a brief drive, I felt the size difference and prefer the smaller M2
His car had DCT, and boy is it neat how fast it shifts (faster and sharper than my wife’s 135i by a long shot)but I sorely missed my third pedal. The M4 has so much power And it shifts so fast and effortlessly that I felt I wasn’t the one doing the driving.

Heads up display was neat but a bit distracting (probably less distracting when it’s not brand new)

There was a lot going on on the dash with all the extra M modes and transmission modes, all of which I really don’t need, I wish I had a bit more control over the sport modes in my M2, but I don’t need everything the M4 has, really I’d be happy if the M2 would just stay in Sport+ all the time.

M4 has more power and more getup and go, but as a daily fun driver it seemed like a power reserve that would go mostly untapped for me.

Anyway I’m grateful to finally have driven the M4, and glad I stuck with the 2
Which version of the M4? I owned the first Gen M4 jas marina Blue with the M exhaust and owned the 17'M2.

M4
1. More Torque
2. Nicier interiors
3. More HP
4. (I actually like the exhaust note, like an angry dragon)
5. Gorgeous Exterior. The blue color got constant comments mainly girls which is rare
6. Feels more premium
7. More customizable
8. small dead on centered steering (no input registration) better on the M2
9. Definitely bigger (sort of feels like my old E39 m5)

M2.
1. Sounds little better
2. Corners better (personal opinion)
3. Love the shorter wheelbase
4. Not as torquey as the M4, but good enough
5. Feels it requires more engagement to drive it fast, opposed to the M4
6. Gets more attention from guys (Mineral Grey)
7. Interiors feels more sport focused oriented that the M4
8. Overall is more fun to drive that the M4, but the M4 still plenty fun
9. I little sponginess on the steering when compared to My 135IS and my older M's, still feel they drive better than the M2 and M4.
10. Less premium as whole but it is to be expected from a price standpoint
Appreciate 0