03-03-2018, 03:51 PM   #81
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
To be fair, your argument doesn't show any actual evidence either. Only things you have "seen" and "would bet" on. Which is the same metric that guy used to justify his response. What's to say he's not in some bubble of people he talks to that refuse to pay MSRP or above and the dealers he's talked to (only two and 6 months ago) weren't in their own little world of refusing to quote lower than MSRP. You seem to have spent your time talking to actual dealers too, but what's to say you're not in your own little a bubble of dealers who all charge MSRP or higher? In order to really answer what the entire USA is selling M2 build orders for, we would need sold prices of every single M2, the dates they were sold, the final profit the dealer expected to make taking loan/lease into consideration, asking the buyer if a sooner allocation date influenced him to pay more, etc. And no one is gonna do that research because whatever we find out will be worthless in a few months when spring comes or the new M2 CS is announced or whatever millions of other variables there could be.

I can tell you that I personally was given $2518 off MSRP on the M2 I ordered on February 3nd with a wk8 build allocation. I emailed 12 dealers in my state asking basically "do you have a M2 allocation? If so, when is it?" then "what is the out-the-door price on this M2 build". I think I also mentioned that I was ready to order ASAP and won't back out after the car arrives. The dealer I went with replied with the $2518 off quote. I didn't do any negotiating with him. 6 other dealers that had allocations and replied quoted me at MSRP or about $100 higher. When I asked them if they could beat the quote from the other dealer, a couple of them said the most they could take off was about $1200. All this took me 3-4 hours, not near 2-3 days. Dealers reply quickly, plus I was laser focused in my conversation. I slept on it and the next day I put a deposit down online. Never needed to go to a dealership.

Now, with that in mind, the dealer didn't ask how I was paying until almost a month after I placed my order. I'm paying cash. I don't know if he's losing money on that because I'm not getting a loan. So did that influence the price he gave me? Or is that gonna influence the future pricing he offers to thers? I don't know. Is he gonna try to lock me into some other plan to re-coup money lost on the car sale? I don't know. Is he gonna change the price when I walk in the door to pick my car up? I don't know. Did he give me that price because their power would be shut off if they didn't sell a car ASAP? I don't know.

Also, my experience is just one example of ordering a car recently. Like I said before, we don't have enough evidence to make a proper call on this. So make what you want out of my experience. I think everyone reading should use everyone's experience as general information, and not a rule of thumb for what they should pay.

Speaking to everyone, not just to you, champignon... In the end, this thread is about getting the best price for your new M2 relative to what others paid. And I think you can't do that. You have to go by what price you can actually get the car for. Email dealers in your area and see what their out-the-door price is.

And in all this, I am talking about final out-the-door price for ordering a M2, not buying one on the lot. Also, I don't have a trade-in. That changes things and makes it more complicated.
I don't disagree with anything you have written. There is a total of ONE dealer in my state, and other adjacent and semi-adjacent states are not ones in which people seem to be getting deals. So my reference to 2-3 days, has to do with the amount of time it would take for me to get on an airplane and fly somewhere, or drive my car 900 miles and then back in the new M2.

Obviously, if you live in a state where there are 12 dealers, and if there is a surplus of cars on the lots or a surplus of allocations, then you have some other options.

Still, although I would not personally pay ONE dollar over MSRP for any car, I am not against the dealer making a profit on his transactions with me. I do business in the city where the dealer is located, and some of their employees are customers of a business I am a partner in, which I know for a fact. The dealer has also done some favors for me over the last few years. I had a great uncle (long since deceased) who was a highly successful lawyer, and his personal ethos was, "always leave something on the table for the other guy." I think he had a point. This is how I conduct my business affairs, and as a result I would like to think that I get it all back in the end.

This whole MSRP discussion has value in that it shows that you don't have to pay over sticker for one of these cars, and in some cases you may get a modest discount off of sticker if you happen to live in the right area, or you are willing to put a lot of time and effort into this. A purchase of the magnitude of a new M2 may be one of the biggest purchases of some young forum member's life, and may be nothing to even think about for others.