11-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #43
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurbo311 View Post
I wonder with the M2, GT350, and other niche cars if their wont be a cumulative BRZ effect on niche sports cars in general. Seemingly everyone I know that enjoys these types of cars and has the money to buy one, has purchased one in the past 2 years. Maybe that's just in my small world and there are still 1,000s of people waiting to but sports cars and extra cars, but maybe the whole sports/niche car market is about to cool off?

I don't look at cars as investments, 99.9% of cars will not appreciate over time. However, I don't want to lose $20k in resale after 1-2 years, that's why I am not a new car buyer. M2 owners have benefited from near zero depreciation over the past two years, but at some point, something has to give and prices will drop. I would buy an M2 if I thought I could drive it for 2 years (typically my fun cars don't last longer than that) and resale would only drop $5k, but if its $15-20k, I'll spend my money elsewhere. Nothing is a given, but I (and others) like to be well educated on pricing in order to make the best decisions as possible.

I understand not all care about this stuff like I do, that's fine... We all enjoy different aspects of shopping for and owning cars.
It might very well be that said market is cooling off, which would fine by me, because for once I have not bought a new car in 5 years now. My normal rotation used to be 1.5-3 years. It may be logical that it finally does. So many desirable cars in that price range have come on the market in the last few years, and there is only so much demand for it.

Well said about the depreciation. I just can't justify wasting that much money on a 2nd/fun car. I've done well many times on new cars e36 M3, e46 M3 and WRX STI. They all held their value exceptionally well, compared to other cars, but the way the M2 has stayed up there for the first 2 years is not normal and sooner or later the bottom will fall out........at least to a certain extend.
Appreciate 1
Blurbo311197.00