Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
it doesn't have more lag....no evidence anywhere to support that! I've driven all 3 engines in several different cars now and I like the n55 best....it acts less like a turbo engine and has a more dynamic range all around IMO. very very smooth. Have you driven an n55?
Yup and the N54. Definitely prefered the N54. Both were considered before I went 128i. Money wasn't the issue(as it should be apparent based on the mod list), I just don't like the throttle response, power curve, reliability, heat, weight, and all the other assorted fun that comes with a turbo engine.

Also pretty clear which one BMW prefers for more serious application seeing as it wound up in the 1M.
the 1M used the N54 because they plopped it right in there from the Z4 35....not because it was a better engine. The fact that they are using the same block as the N55 for the new m3 and m4 engines prove that the n55 is as robust as they come.

don't get me wrong....I love the N52 and the N54....but the N52 isn't powerful or exciting enough for me and the N54 was plagued by reliability issues, but most of all neither of those provide the power with the combination of smoothness like the N55 does. the N55 boost kicks in at 1300 just like the N54 did....there's hardly any lag anywhere from my experiences. People who have DCTs have noticed lag, but that's likely due to the transmission not the engine.
Appreciate 0