05-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #66
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I have manual with a stage 1 for years, drive like a maniac and my charge pipe is fine.

Now, to be fair, I heard a few stories here of them breaking but I really don't believe it's due to inherent weakness but the shifting motor rips it off, from the throttle body.

In fact, plastic is still used on all new model BMW motor including the B58 and S58.
The B58 has redesigned flex sections at the top and bottom of the pipe. Also, since both the B58/S58 are air to water, the charge pipe is now only mounted to items on the "engine package" itself (direct from turbo hot side to throttle body).

With air to air, you had the TB flange part connected to the engine package which can move, and the IC side connected to your IC which was fixed to the front of the car. The flex section was supposed to alleviate the engine movement and fixed IC, but it doesn't flex nearly as much as it looks like it should which puts more pressure on the flange as the weakest point.

All we know based on the data we have from these forums is that there is some kind of statistical risk that it will break on the N55. No idea what that probability is since we don't know the number of warranty claims vs total cars sold. It's likely to be a low number though. There's nothing wrong with not upgrading it based on the low risk, but there's also NOTHING wrong with using an aluminum replacement that can properly flex in the middle with the silicone coupler.
Appreciate 1
Fedorov162.00