View Single Post
      04-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #43
SkysTheLimit
Mspired
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimsteim View Post
FRS TRD Limited edition came out which allowed all FRS cars to update/backdate to the suspension that was offered on the limited edition car. Not because it was a port installed options.

Mini coopers have the option of a JCW package from the factory allowing cars to update/backdate their suspensions to use those components.

If BMW releases a M2 Trim level or Package (Not CS) that includes the M adjustable suspension then they will be allowed. If you have to customize your order from a dealer with those pieces installed either at port or at the dealership then they are not allowed in Street classes. Quick way to get your answer on newer cars, if you can go to the webpage and spec out the car before you get to "accessories" then it's legal in street. If you click on it as an accessory or a write in when you go to the dealership and order the car then it is not allowed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoxtoomuch View Post
First post, long time lurker.

Are you talking about a new rule?

Port installed options are legal in Street. This is what caused the FRS/BRZ dilemma with the TRD option suspension. Same with the protested Mini in STX with a boost altering option (I heard at least).

Section 12: "An item of standard or optional equipment that could have been ordered with the car, installed on the factory production line, and delivered through a dealer in the United States. Port-installed options provided by the manufacturer are considered to be the same as those installed on the factory production line. Dealer-installed options or deletions (except as required by factory directives), no matter how common or what their origin, are not included in this definition. This definition does not allow the updating or backdating of parts."

As the rule is currently written, any/all port installed options are considered standard parts and are therefore legal in Street regardless of their performance impact. If the coilovers were port installed (I think they are dealer installed), they would be legal.

This specific rule is an advantage imported vehicles have over domestics.
Now that there is an official option package for the car (M Performance) which includes the suspension, where does the car fall? Still in B-street? This is unique in that the cars are all non-customizable and come exactly as spec'ed by the manufacturer - so I would think this negates any question about the car being customized by the dealer or ordering system.

EDIT: just sent a question in to the Solo Events Board, so we'll see what they say.
Gone but not forgotten: 2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP DCT, 2007 E92 335i, 2006 E90 325i, 1998 E36 M3, 1999 E36 323is

Last edited by SkysTheLimit; 04-08-2017 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0