View Single Post
      03-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #27
TJS3.0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i with M pakcage

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
So, I test drove a 5 series and tried the gesture control. Whilst it's nice, and worked as advertised, it struck me as a technology that is really not necessary. I mean, how difficult is it to, say, adjust the radio volume by turning a knob, or using the button on the steering wheel? So I want to do a survey, and asked you guys what are some of the new techs in modern cars now that is really not necessary? Bearing in mind that all these options add weight, wether its extra cameras or motors for power steering column etc. And we all know how weight affect performance. Let's make a list. This is my list of nice stuff that I can do without, save some weight and money.
1) gesture control
2) foot activated trunk open
3) power steering column (manual is cheaper and lighter)
4) adaptive cruise control
5) air conditioned seats (maybe because I'm Canadian?)
I have to say, addaptive cruise control and foot activated trunk open are pretty cool. i can live without the rest.
i hate wood in cars, or fancy leather in place you are not going to rest on or touch... like top of the dashboard, that to me is a big waste i can live without.
i also believe that manufactures should be able to sell you a non street legal version of their cars where you can have it as stripper down as you want. i wouldve loved to pay for a 135 with just a steering wheel, 2 recaros, and no insulation. its the perfect track car.
Appreciate 0