View Single Post
      07-05-2023, 11:32 PM   #14
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
My first BMW was this:

1997 328is 5MT Coupe Madeira Violet on Black - M Sport Suspension, Staggered M Forged Double Spoke Rims, Bilstein Sport Shock Absorbers, H&R Sport Springs, M Tech Rear Spoiler

I bought this car with around 75k kms and drove it until around 185k kms. It was in excellent condition when I bought it and it was just as nice when I sold it. Admittedly it wasn't an M3, but as everyone knows, the NA market E36 M3 was not as different from the base model as the RoW version or subsequent M3 generations.

Back in the day, it was a notably nice car and I enjoyed it a lot. However, the build quality and materials on these cars weren't the greatest and it was already getting harder to find parts for them when I sold mine 10 years ago. At the time, they were well known for good handling, but compared to vehicles today, they aren't that special and with only 240 HP, the E36 M3 has anemic performance compared to modern vehicles.

My second BMW was this:

2002 M3 6MT Coupe Carbon Black on Black - OE ZCP/CSL Wheels, 245/35/19 & 285/30/19, H&R 15 mm Front Spacers, OE CSL F/R Brakes, EBC Redstuff, TMS SS F/R Brake Lines, PSS9, TMS F/R Sway Bars, TMS Rear Control Arms, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, TMS/Carbonio Intake, Beisan, Eisenmann Exhaust, AutoSolutions 30% SSK, BMW Illuminated Shift Knob, BMW Performance Pedals, CDV Delete, BMW Performance 4.10 R&P, Flossmann GTR CF Hood/Trunk, CF Rear Diffuser, Euro F/R Signal/Tail Lights, Umnitza Orion V4 LED Angel Eyes, HomeLink

I bought this with 11,600 kms and the original owner added most of the extras. Today, it has 35k kms. In my opinion, the E46 M3 is a much more preferable car to own than an E36 M3. However, I enjoy driving my M2C much more than my M3. Even with the modifications on my M3, the M2C easily out-handles and out-performs it.

It's debatable whether the leap from an E36 M3 to an E46 M3 is greater or lesser than the leap from an E46 M3 to an M2C, but regardless, it's a big leap. Unless you are really looking for the old school "E36 feeling", I think you will get bored with it quickly compared to an M2.

PS. The M3 is for sale.
Appreciate 0