View Single Post
      04-28-2020, 05:32 AM   #1
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 comp, LBB

2020 BMW M2 competition vs 2020 camaro Zl1? Convince me that M2 C is better

I have narrowed down my car choices to these two after a LOT of research. The M2 seems to be way outclassed. The MSRP on the camaro is higher but it has bigger discounts so out the door pricing tends to be about the same.

Camaro ZL1 has 650 hp/650 torque, and yes it handles very well. It's got track times that beat many exotic cars. Interior is pretty good relatively speaking. The suspension and chassis are really excellent, so it corners pretty good. The M2 C is a smaller/more nimble car, but from all my research the camaro feels light and handles like it's on rails. The nurburgring time for a camaro is 7:16 with 1LE package stock, an m2 competition would is 7:52. Just to give you an idea of the difference. A zl1 start up sounds great as well.

Has anyone driven BOTH? And tell me reasons you would pick a bmw m2 comp over the camaro Zl1?

We all know what M2 C looks like, but here's pics for those who don't know what the new camaro 1le looks like.

UPDATE 6 months later: Wow this thread really blew up. OP here. Update to thread. I drove both cars often.

The ZL1 was about the same price as the M2c and the ZL1 LE was about 6000 more. Negligible difference overall pricing wise. Driving the ZL1 LE is an experience, so much power and the sounds it makes are incredible. Handling is fantastic. It's a better performance car in every respect and draws a lot of attention. It was definitely the more exciting car to drive, almost like driving a super car. It is the car I WANT to pick and seems like the better choice. As a second car I would pick the ZL1 LE no doubt.

BUT I ordered an M2C that is being built currently as my primary car. So why did I pick the M2C even though the performance and experience is lacking vs the ZLE?

Here's my reasons why:
1) Practicality: Larger back seats and larger trunk
2) Daily driving is a lot more reasonable in the M2C, specially for winter in Michigan.
3) Doesn't attract as much attention, this may be a con for some but daily driving to work I really don't want to attract a lot of attention and kind of stay low key
4) I don't have to worry about throwing away the stock tires, the ZLE just comes with slicks essentially while the M2C tires are usable in the nice weather
5) Financing rate was 2% better for BMW
6) Things you interact with on a daily basis like the infotainment are a bit better on M2c
7) BMW dealers are generally better than chevy dealers when it comes to post purchase service, a ZLE is a specialty car and many Chevy technicians rarely get a chance to work on it. Most ZL1 owners prefer to do their own routine services such as oil changes. Whereas with BMW I can assume they know the drill with the M cars as they work on a lot of those routinely.
8) interior space is generally better put together in M2C. The camaro isn't bad features wise, it's got comfy seats. But the M2C has an interior that just flows better.
9) It's a smaller car and fits in my garage better
Attached Images

Last edited by photorph; 01-27-2021 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0