View Single Post
      07-05-2023, 10:47 AM   #53
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Travel has gotten to be really expensive. Before Covid my wife and I would take 2 trips a year. Usually Vegas with her sister and some other friends and then someplace in the Caribbean. We are both retired now. Last year we rented a house in Orlando, this year it's St. Petes for 3 months. Managed to get a place for $10K, 5 minutes to the beach, lots of restaurants in walking distance. We'd like to go back to Europe (Monaco for the F1) maybe in 2026 for our 65th birthdays.
Pricing in travel has gone thru the roof because supply actually never kept up with demand.

Now with Covid over, everyone wants to go everywhere... we've all knows air travel, hotel bookings and just general visiting of places has been drastically going up in the past 10 years (Covid) being the exception and instead of building on that infrastructure, the gov't permitted bad behavior.

Our airports are now way behind other places around the world, the govt made the poor decision to never regulate any airlines and allowed the 6 legacy carriers to merge into 3 and consistenly allows airlines to overbook travel. Airlines never moved back to large planes domestically because that wasn't the most profitable move... and the gov't never put any effort towards passenger rights i.e. paying folks for delays etc.

And here we are... an overworked TSA... and an industry that's way over it's head... look what happened with United scheduling just last week... SW a few months before than and AA just a few backs.

Hotels are different because they just gouge based on key dates... i don't think bookings at hotels are anywhere near all time highs. They figure they'll just rent less rooms out at a higher price.