View Single Post
      10-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #10
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
Corinne it works when you move the lever toward the entrance of the downshift gear, as there are some sensors in place which detects lever position and automatically blips the throttle to match the car current speed.
Ooh, that sounds like makin' whoopee. .

But it's an accurate description, Corinne. Trust me, you'll start appreciating it. I was also sceptical till I drove my car. If it would have been an optional feature, I would have taken it too.

Apart from assisting the driver when rowing through the gears, here's a major reason for BMW for equipping the M2 - targetted at a younger public - with rev-match that cannot be switched off (except when the "DSC OFF" mode is activated): it saves the driver from miss-shifting the car: if you accelerate and shift from 4th to 3rd instead of 5th, you'll immediately get that startling high rpm squeal, allowing your mind the sufficient fraction of a second *not* to release the clutch. Without rev-match you release the clutch and give your gearbox a stress-loaded time. Sooner or later you will miss-shift your M2, but won't release the clutch (happened to me as well as to experienced drivers who already drove my car - a momentarily lapse of reason, you know).

Of course, BMW should have done with the M2 as Porsche did with the Cayman GT4: install a rev-match on/off button (which Porsche misleadingly labelled "SPORT").
amw896582.50