Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
If I remember right, you can't just replace the battery. A new battery needs to be programmed into the car.
My understanding is, you can replace a battery without coding as long as it has the same specs as the old battery. So the same voltage and amps or whatever.

But if the new battery is different, you have to code the car to accept the new specs.
Actual, anytime the battery is replace with a new or used unit, it needs to be registered to tell the IBS to adjust to the proper charge cycle.

Another thing is the ISTA+ program only allows you to register a battery as low as 80ah only, for the F87 software.

The lithium ion battery that's in the M4 is 68ah, meaning that installing a M4 battery in an M2 is not a simple P&P operation; it requires intricate programming or coding to accept the new battery specs, that goes way beyond the typical, pre-populated battery registration process BMW's software allows.

I must say the M4 lithium battery is pretty light, one can typically lift and carry it with just one hand.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1