View Single Post
      05-26-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

That's a significant amount of oil consumption. BMW, for years, has had a very liberal range for "normal" consumption, probably due to the fact that admission of abnormal consumption levels means a warranty action, etc.

I'm on my third Mcar (S65 M3, S55 M4, and now N55 M2). All have been owned since new and I have followed a careful running-in procedure on all of them, followed by hard driving and 10+ HPDE track events per year. My oil consumption has been consistently around one quart/1L consumption in 7,500 miles or thereabouts. This has been my experience and can't speak for anyone else.

I currently have 3,700 miles on the M2 and two track events to-date. Following the break-in service at 1,200 miles, my indicator reads full per a measurement yesterday.

Do you know the history of the previous owner? Was it serviced after the running-in period? If the car was driven hard or under load (boost) frequently during engine break-in, that could impact proper piston ring seating to the cylinder liners (e.g., oil consumption).
Appreciate 0