10-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #9
Sebis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87, '18 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
A rebuttal to my own argument:
Initially I thought, well, they would be dumb to limit their market by only offering 6MT. Think of all the customers that would choose another option!

Which leads me to the marketing brilliance of such a move.
  1. It would reduce cannibalization of the M4 sales, as customers who want all the gadgets, including DCT, would scale up to the M4
  2. They could really make it the raw street hooligan it should be (like the 1M) and not have to dumb down its specs to differentiate it from the M3/4 family. The difference would not be so much in power and trackability, but a difference in manners, if you will. The M2 could really be a stripped-down, loud-mouthed braggart in lean fighting form, while leaving the M3/4 to those who like their speed fix to come in a tuxedo rather than bluejeans.

Think about it: You want James Bond, you get an M4. You want James Dean, you get an M2. Give them similar numbers, and the difference is all in the flavor - EVERYONE WINS!

Discuss amongst yourselves...
I agree with your arguments on the transmission side. In fact, I am not 100% sure which transmission I want to get and if I decide on the DCT I would rather get the M3, it makes more sense that way. However, if I decided on the manual I want the M2 for sure.