02-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #8
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano View Post
And can you explain why? This statement sounds weird to me.
a 0w is for -20c. unless you live in a climate that sees -20c on a daily basis, its not necessary.

I have heard this statement hundreds of times, that 0w40 is the same as 5w40 at operating temperature. there is no magical chemistry at play here, physically THINNER oil cannot provide the same bearing protection as a physically THICKER 5W. 0w oils shear quicker, this is a proven fact. in my owner manual is says that 5w30/5w40 is suitable for all weather conditions why would one use anything else?

a 5w will fill your bearings better and stand up to high temperatures more effectively. I have tried both and the 5w not only runs at lower temperatures, but quiets your drivetrain both at operating temps AND warm starts.

the 0w nonsense is a myth started by the north american CAFE requirements in a desperate attempt to see 0.2MPG fuel economy gains per car.

do you live in a climate that constantly sees -20c temperatures? most likely not. so why use a 0w? even russia with their frigid temperatures still spec a 5w30 for all of their cars.

on a side note, I have just switched to shell rotella t6 for my N52 engine and this stuff is incredible for a 5w40 on cold starts. I was getting lots of HVA tick and valve clatter on cold start with the previous castrol and all of it is GONE. never going back to castrol again.

if you are currently using 0w40, note how your idle sounds with the hood up on cold starts, and at full operating temp. if you decide to switch to 5w40 (which is what the damn manufacturer recommends) compare idles again and see the difference.
Appreciate 0