View Single Post
      05-05-2018, 03:50 AM   #6
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Check your insurance policy and your carrier. If you don't have "full glass" coverage you will have to pay the difference between your deductible and what the installation costs.

I would insist on BMW glass installation at your dealer. I am currently going through this exact process with my new M2 which has a foot long crack in the windshield, also on the passenger side. In my case I have Safeco insurance with full glass coverage. I had to go through this exact same process 2 years ago with my 135is convertible, bought slightly used, and with a windshield also broken almost immediately after purchase. My carrier uses Safelite as their sub-contractor for glass repairs and payments.

They try like all get-out to convince you to use their cheap glass and their installers, but if you keep refusing and keep insisting on having the work done at a BMW dealer, they ultimately relent. Then the process is to get the repair done at the dealer, to pay for it, then to send them a scan or a fax of the bill from the dealer, and they mail you a check (in my case has been for the full amount) about a week later. Out of pocket cost in my case was $0 for the 135is 2 years ago, and from what they have told me it will be the same on the M2 when I have the replacement done in a week and a half, when back home from my current overseas trip.

You do need to contact your insurance company and have them open a file on your car before you get the work done, if you expect to get reimbursed for at least part of your cost.