07-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigarum View Post
I'm getting my M2 in 4 weeks and thinking about security. I think a tracker would be a great idea, perhaps with an app for your phone. Has anyone installed one on their cars recently?

I think for a car as badass as the M2, a tracker would be a good option.

Thanks
Do you need something different than than what's built in?

"Theft recovery is an additional subscription service BMW Assist offers. This service is capable of tracking the location of the car via the car computer and GPS system.

Most BMW owners who are concerned about theft employ third party tracking options. These devices have many advantages, and disadvantages. Most devices are small, and can be placed virtually anywhere in the vehicle. Some higher end devices also contain small power sources. These devices may take longer for the thief to detect, and may be more difficult to disable. The BMW system however is tied into the car's computer system and cannot be removed without rendering the vehicle immobile. Additionally, the BMW system utilizes the car's power reserve to amplify the cellular signal to three Watts according to BMW's literature . Further signal gains are attributed to the use of the vehicle's large antenna which is several magnitudes larger than a cellphone antenna.

The BMW Assist system has an excellent track record if the theft is discovered within a short period of time."
Appreciate 2