12-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #85
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
For the price that the CSL would have been at I would not have wanted one IF I could even get one allocated to me. I have no heartburn over this.

However, BMW is on the verge of losing me after 17 years of unending loyalty. I've bought 6 new BMWs in the last 17 years along with 3 used ones. For me I want a smaller fun to drive car. The 3 was my go to car. 2 E36s and 2 E46s. They almost lost me on the E90 because of the size vs the E46 but I bought one. When it came time for an F series M3 I walked. It was just too big for my tastes. The next 3 series is even bigger yet. Not for me. Then the M2 came out and that extended my relationship with BMW. For my wife we have an E series X1. The F series X1 got bigger and went front drive - no more 50/50 weight distribution - may as well buy a CRV. So unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat and reintroduce a rear drive 1 series I'll be out of new BMWs once my current M2 and X1 live their useful life with me which is probably in about 2 years. Anything can happen but most anything coming out in the next two years has test mules running around now. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.

It's almost like you described my story. I had 7 new 3-series/M3's from '95 to 2011 (owned the last one until 2013) so 18 years of pretty loyal ownership.

I totally second your feelings about BMW and have voiced the same frustration. The E90 were the last models I bought, but in reality they were already too big. Ended up going back to an e46 M3, but if the circumstances had been a bit different, probably would have gotten an M2.

The M2 is probably a last ditch effort from BMW, and from here on out you can either find a low mile "classic" BMW, or move on.
My solution was a DD that is FWD and, like I said, and low mileage e46 M3. Granted it isn't the same as getting a new car, but the cost of two cars as described is about equal to a new 3 series and has its advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
I always find it interesting when people say things like this. What would you get instead? What other brand makes something like the X1 you have now? None, everything else is FWD based, just like the new X1. Who makes something a class smaller than a 3-Series that isn’t FWD-based? Again, no one.

You’re threatening to leave BMW because they aren’t building something they used to that no one else is building now either. Where are you going to go? You going to jump ship and get exactly the type of vehicle from Benz, Audi, or Jag that you’re railing against from BMW? I don’t get it.
True, there isn't a true sports sedan like the old 3 series/M3 used to be, but for those that have grown up with the 3 series, times and circumstances have changes as well. While I would still like to have a car that offers the practicality and sportiness of an M3, I can also see the benefit in having a more down to earth DD and then a second, more purpose build sports car, like a 911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Not to speak for him, but maybe he’s saying that someone else can or probably does the whole FWD bias better....since they’ve been doing it a while.

BMWs were known (hirsotically speaking) for a few distinct things. RWD is one of them. And since the ever increasing size of all models seems to have no end, he might be saying he’s going to think outside the BMW box, because it no longer is a one horse race when he is considering a new car. But that’s just a guess.

Speaking from experience, BMW lost me as a customer recently - I came back for the ZCP F80, which is a very nice car, but I don’t love it. Something is missing...very subjective I know....but I don’t feel compelled to want another one like I did 10 years ago.
Exactly. If you aren't getting an inline 6, MT and RWD, you might as well look somewhere else. Plenty of other options out there.

Last edited by norMcal; 12-09-2017 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00